larger trailer sailor

Oct 18, 2019
Johnson 18 Weekender 4 corners marina
so, started out with an 18.5 ft but looking to upgrade to no smaller than a 24 but open to 28 ft. I looking for adjustable keel so I dont have to use a raised trailer. wanting something I can use in local lakes and take to gulf as well. What are best brands to go with and brands to stay away from?
thanks for the help.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I'm sure you will get a lot of responses but this question is asked about twice a year so... if you do an archive search, you can find a lot of great information already posted and you can avoid all of the snarky comments that are bound to lobbed onto the forum. :thumbup:

Jan 19, 2010
Go to "search" at top of page. Type in "best trailer" and click the title option

Here is a start

Jan 19, 2010
BTW: The only "correct" answer you are going to read is...

"The one you already own":biggrin::thumbup::cool:

ebsail

Nov 28, 2010
O day 25 Nyack. New York
8' wide is the maximum you can trailer in most states. If you're interested, I just put my 25' Oday (8' beam) with short keel (Draft under 3' centerboard up, and centerboard down, draft 6') up for sale as I'm moving out of state. It does not come with a trailer but almost everything has been up graded over the last 9 years. New engine, engine bracket, new sails and an older set , new riging etc etc and is in sail away condition. $6000 storage paid until spring (April 2020) iF INTERESTED email me directly at
ebsail@optonline.net

Oct 18, 2019
it sounds like a great boat but I would have to have one with a trailer

Oct 6, 2018
Watkins 25 Seawolf Dunnellon / Crystal River
it sounds like a great boat but I would have to have one with a trailer
That will be a big problem. I was in the same market a year and a half ago. The problem I found was that most sailboats I found on trailers were junk. So we're their trailers. It is much easier for a trailer sailer owner to park and neglect his boat and only finally decide to sell it when it becomes a derelict boat in their yard or driveway.

I did much better when I started looking at boats in the water that got sailed regularly. Unfortunately I was still looking for a boat "deal" and bought one needing some work. Some work creeped into a lot of work...choice, not necesity but still more money so I saved nothing. Next boat I buy will be some on else's project that they loved and outgrew. Everyone always dreams of a bigger boat.

Find a boat make/model that you like, then expand your geographical search and find one in the best shape you can. Have a trailer built for it and you will have a nice boat on a good trailer and spend far less money and time repairing and upgrading the boat and trailer in the long run.

Oct 18, 2019
I appreciate the advice and experience. trying to do that now within a reasonable budget.

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
so, started out with an 18.5 ft but looking to upgrade to no smaller than a 24 but open to 28 ft. I looking for adjustable keel so I dont have to use a raised trailer. wanting something I can use in local lakes and take to gulf as well. What are best brands to go with and brands to stay away from?
thanks for the help.
Couple of ideas on this topic:
Some boats are designed to be trailerable from the start and take less time to raise the mast safely with one or two people. Some aren’t.

Seward made several trailerable yachts over 24 feet over the years. Their most recent offering is the RK26 with retracTable keel. is a capable, comfortable cruiser. Designed from the ground up to be trailerable. Sails very well with the keel lowered. Launches easily.

Also check out Sewards older offerings. All very well built, but getting a bit old now, so get a good survey. Condition is everything. Fixer uppers are almost always more expensive in the long run than one that’s been meticulously maintained and is in turnkey condition with good sails, good trailer, new electronic all in working order, etc.

Jun 25, 2004
That will be a big problem. I was in the same market a year and a half ago. The problem I found was that most sailboats I found on trailers were junk. So we're their trailers. It is much easier for a trailer sailer owner to park and neglect his boat and only finally decide to sell it when it becomes a derelict boat in their yard or driveway.
And the opposite is also true. It’s easier for the owner of a trailerable to,store,the boat fr free at home, under cover. That boat will be decades “newer” than similar boats kept in the water.

Look for one that has been kept on the trailer under a cover in a driveway or in a barn Or carport. the sailboat may look and be years younger than boats kept on the water.

I recommend you go over to the main forum at

Those folks have hands on experience and deep knowledge with trailerable boats. Many have older 23 and 24 footers from designers in the 1970s. If you buy a boat that old, be prepared to pay a premium for a turnkey boat that’s $5k to $10k more than the “average” for a boat of that age.

Judy B
Long time trailer sailor

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
I find there are two types trailer sailors; those who want to sail a responsive boat and those that want a large comfortable platform to lounge at anchor. For the first I would choose a Precision 23 and for the later a McGregor 26X. The purpose of a trailer boat is to be able to sail different and distant venues it is never a good way for just storing a boat to avoid paying dock fees. Rigging a trailer sailer often become a chore and will quickly limit its use and eventually tend to die on the trailer. Just make sure of what you want.

Jun 25, 2004
My 24 footer is too much work to raise and lower the mast for daysailing. It takes about 2-3 hours to raise the mast and run all the lines and bend the main on. It takes three hours to put it away for a road trip. It's a high performance boat with lots of lines everywhere for codes zero, spinnaker, main and jib.

For daysailing, I either keep it in mast up dry storage on the trailer or a wet slip. I now single hand alot because my husband travels for work, so I prefer a wet slip. But I've had wet slips and "dry slips" with mast up storage at various times over the past 30 years. Many yacht clubs have a crane for launching boats. Many marinas also offer crane launching or mast up ramp accessibility.

There are some attractive features to dry storage with the mast up. If my hubby and I were both retired, we could save $3500 per year keeping it in dry storage with the mast up. it saves thousands of dollars per year in slip fees, bottom jobs and diver. And there is far less rusting and mold etc to worry about. Dry storage is kinder to the boat. As for the hassle factor, launching by ramp or crane is an extra 15 minutes max once you get the routine down.

Around here, a 28 foot wet slip costs at least $150/month more than a comparable dry space on the trailer with the mast up. Dry storage also saves $400 year in diver cost, and about $2000 every other year in bottom paint jobs. That's $3400 per year.

Judy B

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2019
that is some excellent information DrB.
thank you
cost here for slip for a 28 footer is over $225 a month.
that and a decent boat is not in our budget.
I will look into the other option which would be much more convenient for local sailing. the if we get to go to the gulf we can trailer it then .
the search continues.
wife is dead set against a fixed keel , esp with trailering and in and out work.

Jun 25, 2004
@John6275

What’s your budget for acquision ( including all necessary upgrades), and what’s your annual budget for upkeep & storage?

Does your budget require you to store the boat with the mast down and to raise the mast every time you go sailing for the weekend?

Judy B

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
wife is dead set against a fixed keel , esp with trailering and in and out work.
Your consideration needs to lean more towards a boat that is both quick and easy to rig. I copied all the trickery from the MacGregor, which was 25 minutes flat, and applied that to the little Catalina, and the very best time for the Catalina is still around 2 hours, and I'm ready for a nap when it's done. You don't want to waste a day prepping.