what 25 to 27 ft range trailerable is best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 6, 2005
- - philadelphia
I am new to sailing. I fell in love with the look and 50hp of the macgregor. Am I nuts or is there a better boat for the money, about $20,000 for new or used. I see if I go used I get more equipment, but what is necessary.

T

Ted

Mac 26X or M

Not a true sailing boat, not a true motor boat. Something in the middle. You are nuts, if you think that you will get a 'usable' boat for the $20K figure. The boat is sold bare bones, so most people add the necessary equipment. Most new ones leave the show room at around $30K and that is why you see them for $20-25K used. If you are considering $25-30K for a sailboat, then look at the Catalina, Precision and Hunter. Then you can decide what suits your needs.

T

Tom Atkins

water balast/swing keel

Hey Sandsman, Most of the type boats you mentioned are for sale within 12 months of purchase. I suggest you find a clean used 'swing keel' with a small OB motor, (10-15HP). I have purchased them for as little as $2,500 (including trailer). It's the one I have now. Experience this for a season and get the feel. There's little reason to spend big $$$ for a 26' boat. The swing keels are easy to sail and allow trailering and getting out of shallow water. Find someone that has sailed small boats and get their help to pick out a boat.

H

Herb Parsons

Better for What

You didn't say what you were looking for in a boat, so the advice you get will be the right boat for OTHERS. I know McGregor owners that love their boat. They laugh at the notion that most of my sailing is in the same area near my marina (because I always have to sail through it). One guy in Slidell (pre Katrina) told me how I'd be 5 hours sailing to the gulf, just to get out of the Rigolets, and he'd be there in 2 hours. I guess my point is don't let someone tell you what type of boat you need. You decided what you're looking for in a boat, realize that everything is a trade off, and then find the type of boat that suits your needs. I do agree that new is probably not the best route to go for your first boat. Lots of cheap boats out there that would make a great starter boat.

R

Richard O;Brien

ask an M owner?

Sandsman, Take time to ask about Macgregor's from their owners. If you enjoy racing, it's not your boat,and many sailors are daysailors, and racers. If You have family , and are on a budget, need headroom and plan on overnites it can be a great choice. The extra 5-7 thousand dollars is for the motor. You can buy a cheap used 40 hp for 1500.00 the first year if necc.Mac X & M's don't point well, but sail fine on a beam reach or downwind. I can have mine in the water in 30 minutes. I can't afford to store it in a marina. I might have to get another smaller boat for racing only one day, but this boat suits my current needs fine. The mac 26D is the fastest Mac, but only has 4'-10" headroom. The Santana 20's are abundant along with Merit 24's, Catalina 22's, and of course J-boats if you want to spend most of your time in the cockpit. My neighbor has a Catalina 27, and has only had it out of his yard 2-3 times this summer.

D

Doug L

Mac 26

I looked at the Mac 26x and the newer 26M for a lot of years when I did not have the money to buy one, but when I finally took the plunge I chose a Hunter 26 (1994). I keep my boat in a slip and that was a big influence on my decision, if I was trailering all the time I would have chosen the Mac. The Hunter is probably a bit better built boat but is not as trailer friendly like the Mac. I do like the interior layout of the 26x a lot better then the 26m, as I use the boat as a weekender and the miniture head in the 26m does not make it. My last boat was a Mac 25 and my wife & I both wanted a boat with a more user friendly head than the 25. I have seen that a good used Mac 26x can be had for about $14,000 on up, if you are looking at a new 26M plan on spending $25,000 or more by the time you have equipped it. I have owned 2 older MacGregors and have been happy with them. The boats are definately built to a price, and that is why I could afford them, otherwise I would not have been sailing. I have had no significant complaints or failures with he MacGregors I have owned.

B

Bob

Both ways

The Mac 26X Powersailer gives you some of both worlds, but not the best of both. If you want to do some of each, then there really is no competition. If you want a pure sailboat, then there are many out there in that price range (or less) that will have better sailing characteristics. I have a buddy right now who has his 26X up for sale for $19,600, and it is a very nice one with extras. He and his wife bought a Tartan 3000 because they wanted to do more sailing and less motoring.

Status
Not open for further replies.