Whats the best trailer sailor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 8, 2009
Oday mariner snug harbor, rhode island
Im in the market for a new boat and I need some advice on what to get. I need something thats trailerable, easy to ramp-launch and rig, but also is fast. That wouldn't be too hard except im on a budget...about $3500. Oh and I almost forgot I'd like something thats got a little cuddy cabin too.

Any Suggestions?

Any and all help appreciated.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
What's the best beer?Truck? boat dog?

May 23, 2007
Catalina Capri 22 Albany, Oregon
It depends on what you're looking for - Performance? Accomodations? Daysailing or overnighting?

I've owned 3 different trailerables over the last 7-8 years . . .

Laser - fast, fun, wet, single sailor boat. Tiny dry storage for your wallet/keys. Boat/trailer weigh < 1000 pounds. Unobstructed view in the mirror as it's too short to see behind the tailgate of the truck; no tongue extension necessary. 15 minutes to set up. No danger of falling off while on the trailer because you should be on the boat if it's on the trailer.

Catalina 16.5 - fast, fun, sometimes wet, 3 adults or 2 adults and 2 kids. Huge cuddy for storage only. Boat/trailer weigh about 1000-1500 pounds; no tongue extension necessary. Blocks view in the mirror so you must use wing mirrors. 30-45 minutes to set up. Fell off boat on trailer once, tucked & rolled, scrapes, no major injuries.

Catalina Capri 22 fin keel, tall rig; wing keel and standard rig options available - Fast, fun, rarely wet. Large cockpit comfortably seats 4 -5 adults if it's not blowing like stink. Cabin with v-berth and 2 quarter berths, optional potty & alcohol stove. Faster (more sail area, more performance oriented hull design) than the venerable Catalina 22 but no pop top for added headroom. Weighs about 3500 pounds with the trailer; tongue extension or strap launch setup necessary. Fin keel puts hull mostly above line of sight so good view in mirror; probably not true for the wing keel. 2-3 hours to set up at start of season, less for mid-season trips where you don't have to tear everything apart (e.g. leave main on boom & store in cabin), don't remove cushions, life jackets, stove, etc. Fall from deck while on trailer could result in broken bones or death.

One of our slip neighbors has an older Catalina 25. Nice cruiser with headroom (and pop top), galley, potty, dinette, etc. Sail area and performance are comparable to my Capri 22 - I seem to be faster on some points of sail, he's faster on others. Weight on the trailer about 5500-6000 pounds, tongue extension or straps necessary for launch. Unsure as to view in the mirror. Set up time and fall from deck while on trailer similar to Capri 22.

Any of these boats can be found within your price range so the question is, what features do you want/need where you sail? Shallow water or deep? Fin, wing or swing keel or maybe a centerboard? Overnighting or just day sailing? Do you want to race or cruise? What will you tow with? Will it handle the weight of boat/trailer?

Details, man, details! 8^D

Chris

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
$3,500 will probably get you a 1970's boat in fair condition. Lots to choose from, such as O'Day 22, Chrysler 22, etc., but if "fast" is a major priority, those won't cut the mustard, but a San Juan 21 MK I or MK II. They are very quick boats and fit that budget, have a cabin with 4 berths. Another might be a Santana 21. All of the above have shoal keels or swing keels or keels with centerboards for easy launching. Good luck in your search.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Ross - What kind of question is that???

I know the answer to the first part of your question and I quote "what is the best beer...."

I read this answer many years ago and it is just as appropriate now as ever, and always will be. This exact question (acutally it was what is your favorite kind of beer) was posed to a group of millionaires involved in a study about millionaires.

Drum roll......the answer.....

Free

kenn

Apr 18, 2009
CL Sandpiper 565 Toronto
amyette94;713151I said:
need something thats trailerable, easy to ramp-launch and rig, but also is fast. That wouldn't be too hard except im on a budget...about $3500. Oh and I almost forgot I'd like something thats got a little cuddy cabin too.
A Sandpiper 565.

OK, its displacement hull can't be that fast with a waterline length under 17 ft, but for its size it powers up nicely in a light wind and is very nimble, while also being stable at 20+ knots with a reef or two.

Easy to trailer and launch, fun and easy to sail, and comfortable accommodations for a couple over a long weekend, or longer if you can do showers and laundry ashore.

Downside - cockpit can comfortably seat 3 or 4 adults max, so if you're looking to take a gang daysailing, you probably want something with a bigger cockpit.

Used price is somewhere between $2500 and $6000, depending on condition and contents. We bought ours for under $3000, complete. She's required some work, but was immediately sailable. There are usually a few for sale around the Great Lakes or the east coast.

Status
Not open for further replies.