Best Boat for Teaching Families to Sail?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 26, 2012
formosa 41 seattle/coos bay
Hi,

I run a tiny non-profit that takes kids and families out on boats to teach them to sail, and about our marine life. I am selling our larger boat (Square rigged Formosa 41 on steriods) to fund our programs and lower our overhead.

Instead, I am looking to purchase/get donated a few older, trailerable boats to teach groups in.

I am looking for suggestions a great boat that will fit the following criteria:

1) We are on the Oregon Coast, so it should be shallow draft for rivers, but ideally capable of coastal overnights.

2) It should be old, and cheap to buy and mantain.

3) It should have a large cockpit, for groups.

4) It should be trailerable from a boat launch.

5) Cheap.

6) Did I say cheap? :)

Ideas?

PS: We are also planning to help kids build Bloger style instant boats, and start a small fleet of sailboats anyone can build, and sail.

Suggestions welcome on which instant boat we should use, remember, CHEAP, but sailable. Rowing is also a nice capability for our river sailing.

Thanks,

Julia

www dot liveocean dot org

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
There are so many good boats out there that would fit your needs. Check craigslist and other listings.

Boats that come to mind....O'day 17, Catalina 22, Hunter 22, and similar boats.

If you get the proper money then Look at Sunfish, Lazer, Flying Juniors. You could always do a Hunter 22 or Catalina 22 and then buy some Sunfish for teaching basics.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I agree with the "basics" suggestion from BObsn. If you're going out in the ocean, you could also consider a Catalina 25, still barely trailerable, but the come with both fixed and swing keels, large cockpits and simple rigging and systems. They also have a great website. You might want to keep having a great support website in mind when you choose.

CalebD

Jun 27, 2006
Tartan 27' 1967 Nyack, NY
Older Pearson Ensign's (22'?) have large cockpits, are plentiful on the right coast, are trailerable and don't command a very high price generally.
Perhaps a little slow but they are forgiving, sturdy and can fly a spinnaker.
Draft a little over 3'.

Piotr

Dec 6, 2010
MacGregor 25 Rock Hall, MD
Catalina Capri 18 (mark I). Probably the best 18-footer out there. Not that great in light wind, but you are not looking for performance here. It's very stable and stiff responsive, and relatively cheap. can be had for $3000-$4500 with tthe trailer.

higgs

Aug 24, 2005
Nassau 34 Olcott, NY
Don't overlook the O'Day 25. For overnights I would think a 25 to be ideal. O'Day and Catalina made a ton these boats that should be available at reasonable cost.

Oct 6, 2011
CM 32 USA
A sailboat is not numbers, it is a feeling you get by being on them. Don't pick a boat, let the boat pick you. Go out to marinas, and hitch rides. Tell owners you are looking to buy a sailboat, and everyone will be happy to share what they know. You will know the right boat when you see her.

May 23, 2007
Catalina Capri 22 Albany, Oregon
You're not seriously thinking about taking a small trailerable out of Coos Bay overnight with a bunch of inexperienced kids are you? What are you going to do when the weather comes up unexpectedly and you can't get back across the bar? Bandon? Winchester Bay? If you can't get in at Coos Bay you're not getting across the bar at either of those.

The Oregon coast is not the same as Puget Sound. There are no bolt holes when the weather turns and the bar becomes impassable. All you've got is 350 miles of lee shore and pounding surf. Ask the captain of the New Carissa about that.

I admire what you're trying to do, I really do, but I'd think twice before crossing the bar for any length of time in anything smaller than 25 feet and I sure wouldn't overnight outside the bar on anything small enough to be trailerable.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Depending on how "instant" you're talking about there are several dingy kits that can be built in a couple of weeks by yourself. I'm thinking that with lots of helping hands you could get it done over 3-4 weekends. The show stopper is the waiting for the epoxy to cure so you can move on to the next step. I know my "8-Ball" dingy rows and sails well and seats 2 big adults or 4 kids or 1 adult and 3 kids.....
try googling "wood boat plans"

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I also like the Ensign for a trainer Not really for overnight and not so trailerable - but possible Maybe a CD Typhoon? O'Day Mariner? Rhodes 19? For the building project also look at Common Sense Boat Designs

Apr 26, 2012
Thanks for your response, I am hoping for something a bit larger, and more specifically, I am wondering which of the "trailer sailers" are viewed by owner's as particularly seaworthy. Ideally I was thinking something around 25', with a centerboard/daggerboard so it will trailer. I haven't sailed a lot of boats in the 20-30 range, which ones are more/less bulletproof? For example, a bucaneer is inexpensive, but in my opinion, not an excellent choice for the conditions here. Even on the rivers, it can be nasty, and I would like to trailer it up to Puget Sound occasionally, so I just want the strongest, little boat I can get that will go on a trailer. Thoughts?

Apr 26, 2012
Safety is NUMBER ONE!

Also, @ SinnetC (WARNING, INCOMING RANT) :

You're not seriously thinking about taking a small trailerable out of Coos Bay overnight with a bunch of inexperienced kids are you? What are you going to do when the weather comes up unexpectedly and you can't get back across the bar? Bandon? Winchester Bay? If you can't get in at Coos Bay you're not getting across the bar at either of those.

The Oregon coast is not the same as Puget Sound. There are no bolt holes when the weather turns and the bar becomes impassable. All you've got is 350 miles of lee shore and pounding surf. Ask the captain of the New Carissa about that.

I admire what you're trying to do, I really do, but I'd think twice before crossing the bar for any length of time in anything smaller than 25 feet and I sure wouldn't overnight outside the bar on anything small enough to be trailerable.
Thank you for your concerns for my safety, but I am not sure why you feel the need to take such as an agressive tone! Safety is my number one concern, as well.

I do agree that smaller boats can be more difficult to handle outside the bar, I didn't mean to imply that was my intention. I simply meant that I want to choose a more seaworthy boat, so that if we choose to trailer it out and about, it will be capable.

I would also like to point out that it is not the size of the boat that makes it safe, as evidenced by the New Carissa example. A competent skipper will make measured plans and provisions for what to do when things go wrong at sea, as they always do, eventually.

I agree that the Oregon coast and it's hazardous bars are incredibly dangerous, but so is any body of water . At least people tend to prepare their boats for sea when they sail the coast! On a side note, I have been sailing for over 20 years, and I have been a professional in the Marine industry for 10, including time as a charter and delivery captain of large and small boats, both power and sail. I understand that time is a drop in the bucket, but my point is I am well aware of the dangers at sea, with plenty of personal experience. Some of which, I wish I could forget :)

I would argue that Puget Sound is just as dangerous as the Oregon Coast, as people tend to become complacement in "protected water". Puget Sound has it own set of challenges, with strong currents, submerged rocks, heavy traffic, etc.

I feel I must point out that while I would never take inexperienced children to sea in unsafe conditions, I have, and will continue to take experienced teenagers (sailing teams) on overnight coastal trips that have, and will continue to change their lives. The entire reason I started this organization was to get people off the couch, and out of their comfort zones.

Of course, everyone on my boat, dog, cat, adult, or kid is lifejacketed, harnessed and clipped in at all times while on deck. Yes, even the Dog. I have pictures.

We have safety drills etc. Like "Cat Overboard". We only did that one once, and yes, I do have a few scars from the experience, mostly mental. I can't imagine how he feels. But boy he sure can climb a rope ladder quick! Anyways.

Safety is my number ONE priority. Poor Cat.

Also, I do use larger boats for larger waters.

I am sure you didn't mean your comments to be as harsh as I took them, and since you live in Oregon, I have decided to forgive you. :) Happy Sailing!

PS The cat overboard drill is a joke. Although I did read it in a magazine once.

gpd955

Feb 22, 2006
Catalina 310 Cape May, NJ
Took a gander at your website and it looks like you are running a great program. Sorry I don't have much input as far as the kind of boat you are looking for since I am not familiar with the Oregon Coast and Puget Sound (I just know that it is probably too cold up there for me!!)

I will happily take the Formosa off your hands, though!!

Good luck with your search and I will definitely bee keeping an eye on the organization's progress!

Apr 26, 2012
Thanks Jack. I guess the internet forum thing was a bad idea lol. I am currently off the boat, working another job to support summer youth programs (ah the joys of non-profit life), and was hoping for some honest input from actual owners of the boats we are considering for our new, INLAND programs with inexpensive boats for the every-day beginning sailor.

Thanks for those of you who replied with that info.

It's my fault really, I should have been more specific in my original post. I do have to say, I am enjoying the hilariously angry responses. Sort of. And what's a troll? I guess these forums are not for the faint of heart!

I will totally be using this is in a great new presentation I am drafting WHAT NOT TO DO WHEN REQUESTING INPUT FOR A NEW PROGRAM.

If you are really interested in the formosa, feel free to PM me. I have a few people that say they want her, but we all know how that goes in the current market. Breaks my heart to see her go, but we all decided it's best. Big boats are expensive, and we can teach hundreds of people to sail with the money from the sale. I am hoping to eventually fund a high school sailing team in our little town. (dream big, right?)

Happy Sailing!

- Julia

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Little short for some of your needs/wants, but the sturdy and unsinkable Ranger 20 would be a great choice. Unlike a lot of cheapie old trailerable sailboats, it was designed from the start to sail easily. Built very well also, with a through-bolted hull/deck joint just like an offshore design.
It's fast, shoal draft, and can overnight two adults in the cuddy cabin and sleep several more in the cockpit with a boom tent.
"Been there, done that, and still have the T shirt!"
:)

LB

Jul 28, 2010
Boston Whaler Montauk New Orleans
Don't be discouraged from this forum, Julia. You will get some wonderful and helpful info from this site in spite of some angry and uninformed responses. I also looked at your website, and it looks like a great thing you are doing, and obviously the kids you're teaching are having a blast. Alas, I don't have enough knowledge of specific trailer-able boats to give you any helpful suggestions, but I have bookmarked your site and will ask around.

Apr 26, 2012
LB- The ranger sounds good- I had heard that it was well built. Thanks for the info, I will keep an eye out for one. I think we will probably end up with a few different lenghts. Thanks for the reply! J

Apr 26, 2012
Thanks winkfish, I was getting pretty discouraged by the negativity :( Glad to hear there are helpful people on here as well. I am really looking forward to the coming year, and getting more people on the water! Another idea I want to try is building Bolger designed plywood instant boats, I built one last summer, I think it could be a really great way for kids to get started on lakes and such. He has quite a cult following- I think we can build them for about $200 each. I want the kids to raise half the money, I will raise the other half, and then they keep the boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.