Best trailerable boat

Dec 3, 2014
Looking 26 + Portland, Or
I'm looking to purchase a good boat that I can trailer from location to location. Something that's fun to sail yet has plenty of room inside and amenities. I want something that would be good for sailing/camping for a few days at a time. I figured this would be a great place to come for suggestions. Any help you folks can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
Tons of boats out there.

What types of places do you want to sail?

My current boat is a Compac 23. It is a good sailor but it is a little smaller on the room.

Other good boats would be Catalina 250, Hunter 260, Seaward 26rk, and a few others like that.

Price is also a consideration...how much do you want to spend?

Sep 27, 2012
Seaward 24 Victoria bc
Pocket Sailor

I'm looking to purchase a good boat that I can trailer from location to location. Something that's fun to sail yet has plenty of room inside and amenities. I want something that would be good for sailing/camping for a few days at a time. I figured this would be a great place to come for suggestions. Any help you folks can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Looks like you want a Seaward. I have a 25' with an inboard diesel. She's been to Florida, Sea of Cortez, the Gulf Islands, Victoria, BC. My wife and I love this boat as it's easy to launch & set up. Very economical and has all we need for short trips (2 weeks).

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Please, this first.

New or used?

How much do you plan to spend on BUYING a boat? What is your expectation on annual maintenance costs?

Answer those then we can offer reasonable opinions. Otherwise the answers will range in cost from $1000 to $150,000.

Nils T

Jun 1, 2014
Precision 23 Winter Park, FL
Look at a Precision. Precision Boat Works. Lots of room below and they sail well.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
We're pretty happy with our '99 Hunter 260. Easy to get on and off the trailer. We're not fast at stepping the mast but it's not hard. It's a water ballast boat so we leave 2,000 lbs. of water at the ramp. We pull it with an '08 Expedition. We towed it from Sumter, SC to Smith Mountain Lake, VA with no troubles at all.

Everyone has opinions. We all like our own boats. I can't help but think we also envy everyone else's boat in some way.

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
Kermit, I like your boat! LOL

Hunter 260 would be a great boat. I looked at them when Hunter was still manufacturing them. They are still pretty pricey. Not Seaward costly, but costly.

My boat is great for one person, maybe two. I really miss having an enclosed head though.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I have to say, I've been jealously envying catboat owners. They're funny-looking but only have one, count them one, sail to mess with! Think about it. Just one little bitty piece of rope to deal with to adjust the sail. One set of flappy things streaming off the sail to see how poor your trim is. Just run that one piece of rope back to the wooden steery thing and you're good to go. Just remember to move it left to turn right and right to turn left. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Seriously, I think a catboat would be fun to try. And I apologize in advance for getting off the subject. But still...

Oct 31, 2012
Hunter 2008 H25 Lake Wabamun
If you are looking for a sailboat that is easy to tow and launch, fun and fast to sail, has no moving parts below to waterline (other than the lifting rudder), no ballast tanks to fill and drain (and maintain), a well engineered mast raising system, shallow draft fixed keel, modern B&R fractional rig with no backstay, large cockpit with stern rail seats and a roomy interior with enclosed head, look no further than the 2005 and newer Hunter 25's. But as an owner of one, I may be a bit biased.
Happy Hunting!
Andre

Sep 28, 2005
-Florida Bay Boat Co. -Peep Hen Minnesota
A worthy boat to consider would be the Compac 17" Suncat. It is a cat rigged boat with the single sail. The mast is hinged and the sail is left on. A very good trailerable boat that is quick to launch and retrieve. It does have room below for camping, this one excels for trailering in and out of landings.

Good Luck in your search, Brian

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
Hello Wayunderated,

Answering the following questions for yourself may help you choose a boat that fits your needs/desires. Also, your first boat does not need to be your ultimate boat in many cases.

Have you sailed on any trailerable boats? What tow vehicle do you plan to use? Have you helped set up, launch, retrieve, and tow any sailboats? Have you spent time watching the activity at a launch ramp used by people trailering sailboats? Talking to people at a launch ramp while they are tieing down the boat after hauling it up the ramp should give you a good bit of information. Boats that seem "small" on the water may become "big and clumsy" out of the water.

Best wishes in your search, 31seahorse

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
It is all a compromise so you have to do your homework and choose the combination of features that best suits your overall needs. Lots of room is usually accompanied by larger size, weight and maintenance costs. Larger weight also means a sturdier trailer and tow vehicle. Water ballasted boats can offer size and lower weight but are usually more tender to weather. If it were me I would look at the prevalent weather conditions I would be sailing in and I think along the Pacific coast I would want a fixed short keel/center board combo vessel. I would limit the size to around 23' ft to keep the weight down so I could tow with an SUV or a light truck. Fuel mileage is also a consideration when towing long distances to desirable sailing venues. Your intent to trailer the boat from location to location does not make clear whether you just intend to keep the boat in the trailer and just take it to a close by location when you desire to sail or if you intend to trailer to experience remote sailing venues. For local use you could get a bigger more tender boat but to visit different venues I would choose a sturdier but smaller boat.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
If you are looking for a sailboat that is easy to tow and launch, fun and fast to sail, has no moving parts below to waterline (other than the lifting rudder), no ballast tanks to fill and drain (and maintain), a well engineered mast raising system, shallow draft fixed keel, modern B&R fractional rig with no backstay, large cockpit with stern rail seats and a roomy interior with enclosed head, look no further than the 2005 and newer Hunter 25's. But as an owner of one, I may be a bit biased.
Happy Hunting!
Andre
No bias there. Who took that avitar picture anyway? :) Don't forget the bowsprit. Any decent boat (at least those in our mooring field) are required to have a bowsprit.

Cheers
Gary

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Wayunderated;

As a former dealer, there were many boats being offered as trailerable. My rule of thumb was a boat that one person can raise/lower the mast, get on and off the trailer and sail by themselves. Of course money to some was an issue not to mention the asthetics. This is one area I feel I am an expert but will not be biased at all. If you want any information from a former dealer, feel free to contact me by this forum email with location and phone number. Any information is kept private and destroyed once I have called even from my wife. However there are a few I know and Kermit is one rascal I have become friends with.

Nov 23, 2011
MacGregor 26D London Ontario Canada
Used:
MacGregor 26 D or S.
I tow mine with a SAAB station wagon. 2250 lb
Sleeps 5 adults. Can be set up by one person in less than an hour. Has all the amenity's you want. Fast! (Ask the H260 guys...)
Cheap: http://macgregor.sailboatowners.com/index.php?option=com_adsmanager&Itemid=254
Get one and sail it for a season. If you don't like it send it to Canada and get 3x what you paid... http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/kin...oat/517283683?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

I like them so much I have 3 Mac26D's!

Attachments

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
Macgregor's were always one of the easiest and fastest to launch and retrieve.

When you say BEST, I think you have to look at the seaward line. but they don't just slide off the trailer.

Budget please.

Apr 11, 2014
Hunter 260 Lake Lanier
My wife and I love our H260. We can have it in the water in about 30-40 minutes after we pull up to the ramp. This summer was our first trip taking it down to FL. We live in the Atlanta area. The tow was very uneventful. You do have to mind the with of the trailer however.

We've sailed frequently with 3-5 people onboard. Not too crowded. However, I'd only overnight with a max of 4.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Well it looks the the OP has abandoned the thread without answering or questions that would have helped us narrow down what would be the best boat for HIM, so I guess its OK if we answer what best for US.

For me the Seascape 27. Light so easy to trailer. Retractable keel. Fast.