best shoal draft blue water boats 26 to 30

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 27, 2012
Oday 222 Beaver Lake, Arkansas
I know the question has been asked a 100 times before, but I dont know if it was ever asked in this particular way. There are so many boat makes and models in that size range you get delirious wading through them. Dream would be to one day go out into the gulf and work my way down into the islands. Shallow draft via swing keel would be optimum. But strength is at least second to draft, but really its first. Trailerable is also a requirement, so beam has to remain within legal limits.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
I know the question has been asked a 100 times before, but I dont know if it was ever asked in this particular way. There are so many boat makes and models in that size range you get delirious wading through them. Dream would be to one day go out into the gulf and work my way down into the islands. Shallow draft via swing keel would be optimum. But strength is at least second to draft, but really its first. Trailerable is also a requirement, so beam has to remain within legal limits.
One boat that meets ALL of the stated requirements would the early 80's Ranger 26. This is the trailerable boat from Ranger Boats in Kent WA, designed by noted NA Ray Richards.

They have cruised the Pacific NW and the Sea of Cortez.

The long-out-of-production C&C Mega 30 might be another one to look at.

L

Jun 6, 2012
Watkins 27 foot Merritt Island, FL
Watkins 23 footer (which is trailerable) would work...retractable keel to 18 inches, down it's almost 6 feet. Also, Watkins seem bigger on the inside than they actually are.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
First you are saying Blue Water, but I think you want to work down Florida's west coast and to the Keys and I would say that is more coastal.

Your present boat would do that, just watch the weather when you make the hop across Florida Bay. We did it with our Mac Classic 26S with no problems and would do it again in a heart beat. With 20 inches of draft you can get back into lots of sheltered places. I think the key is not being on a schedule and watching the weather. Be on the conservative side. Have the boat setup for cruising and have good radio's, chart plotters and have the boat and rigging in good shape.

Our Mac is water ballast, so is only about 2000 on the trailer and you can launch her...

...about any place in a few minutes. You probably won't find a larger rear berth on a boat under 30 feet (that is our main storage area) and we can provision for over a month on the water with no need to go in for ice, fuel, water or waste disposal.

We are keeping the Mac, but bought an Endeavour so that we could be a slight bit less concerned with the weather/sea conditions and for more room on even longer trips.

Good luck and have a good time no matter what boat you settled on and our trip down Florida's SW coast and the Keys is here...

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor-trips-1/macgregor-trips-1-index.html

Lots of Mac's and other smaller boats have been down the keys and even over to the Bahamas. Here is a boat...

...that has made the trip a number of times....

http://www.microcruising.com/paradox1.htm

...but you probably are looking for something a little larger ;),

Sum

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]============================[/FONT]

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
or the macgregor X or M.
its not really strong, but it can motor fast (around 12-15knts).

that speed can make up for its lack of strength since you can motor in a smaller weather window.

One problem with the small boat is storage in the islands.
-you'll need water and fuel down island.

Have you also considered a trimaran ? corsair makes some nice boats that just fly, and are trailer-able.

http://www.f-boat.com/pages/news/f32new.html

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
I know Matt Layden (builder of Paradox, pictured by Sumner), he is the perfect example of the old adage that it isn't the boat, it is the sailor. He is known as "Wizard" and his exploits /accomplishments are legendary.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
John Vigor wrote a book called Twenty Small Boats to Take You Anywhere. Or something like that. Answers your question directly.

One thing you should know, if you've looked at Sum's links to his homepage, is that he and Ruth really tricked their boat out. The smaller the boat, the more challenges you have in trying to deal with electricity/power.

The Boat Babe and her husband traveled to the Islands in a 25 footer. As mentioned, water is critical in the Islands. I don't recall if they had a watermaker or not, but if I was going (rough to do from here!:)), a watermaker would eb high on my list, which would affect the decisions you make in a BIG way.

One of our skippers went to Mexico, west coast, and he reported this:

The watermaker was a great investment. I've seen the other side - people buying their water in 5 gallon jugs and trying to sneak in a little shampoo as they steal a beachside shower from a resort. It doesn't look like fun. We love the watermaker.
Capacity is important. The cheaper low volume Katadyne units have to run forever to make enough water. Something in the 150 gpd range is much better. We have a Spectra unit.

Mar 13, 2012
Sabre 28 MKII Georgetown Yacht Basin, MD
Introduced in 1974 from the board of Bruce King and designed to be trailered and easily rigged and launched.

LOA = 24' 8"
LWL = 20' 10"
Beam = 8.0 feet (legal to trailer without permits)
Draft = 2.0 feet (w/ board up)
Displacement = 5,400 lbs.
Ballast = 2,500 lbs + 150 lb. centerboard
Sail Area = 265 sq. ft. (100% foretriangle)
Head Room = 5' 6"
Rating = 18.0 IOR (Quarter Ton)

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Robert, were you talking about the Ericson 25?
That's one nice small yacht, and legally trailerable as well.

L

May 27, 2012
Oday 222 Beaver Lake, Arkansas
This is a very interesting boat that I saw at the Annapolis boat show

http://www.seawardyachts.com/writeups/SailKeys.pdf
Now thats what im talking about. But what do ya do if the electric winch for the keel fails? Would this be blue water capable?

I do realize the guy at the helm has a lot more to do with survival than the boats integrity, but having a good strong ship is always a plus.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Now thats what im talking about. But what do ya do if the electric winch for the keel fails? Would this be blue water capable?

I do realize the guy at the helm has a lot more to do with survival than the boats integrity, but having a good strong ship is always a plus.
I asked this same question not too long ago. It is manually operable.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Check out the Seaward Yachts as they come in 26' and 32'. You did not mention affordable in your requirements so these boats may fill your needs. Don't forget saving some for the heavy duty tow vehicle which is required.

Mar 13, 2012
Sabre 28 MKII Georgetown Yacht Basin, MD
Robert, were you talking about the Ericson 25?
That's one nice small yacht, and legally trailerable as well.

L
You are correct. The title for my post, that didn't appear, was: Ericson 25 w/ keel/centerboard...

Thanks, Robert M.

Status
Not open for further replies.