The Sewing Machine Thread

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Thanks for posting this. It lists Tex 70-138 for a sailcover. Which size is larger - 70 or 138? Do you know of any reputable brands to look for?
I'm lazy. I simply buy the thread with matching needles from sail rite.

Is have to look up the sizing, don't recall off the top of my head.

dj

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Thanks for posting this. It lists Tex 70-138 for a sailcover. Which size is larger - 70 or 138? Do you know of any reputable brands to look for?
Tex 70 is equivalent to V-69 according to Sailrite. Tex 138 is a much heavier thread and requires a larger needle. IMHO, Sailrite is the best authority on all things sewing.
Personally, I use V-92 for my dodger, bimini, or sail-cover. I bought the V-138 to use the next time I repair my heavy winter cover, but in the past I have used V-92 on that as well.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
When looking at an item on Sailrite, click on a single item. Scroll down a bit to Description - Documents - Reviews menu. Under documents you can usually find good guides.
I buy my thread from Sailrite and have price checked at some sites as WaWak and The Thread Exchange which are recommended on bag making sites. Comparable thread spools and cones are within a couple of dollars from Sailrite and less color selections in the Tex 70 and Tex 92 sizes.
I wouldn't trust buying thread from Amazon. Thread is the cheapest component of the materials I use, so I'm not going to cheap out on it. You want bonded polyester thread.
For most marine canvas projects Tex 90 / V92 is recommended but you can use V69 if you machine doesn't handle V92.

Most domestic machines can handle up to a Tex 70/ V69 thread, Sailrite Ultrafeeds can handle up to Tex 90/V92 thread and industrial machines like the Sailrite Fabricator can handle up to Tex 135.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
What a great "sail loft". Glad to hear your machine is running well again.