The Sewing Machine Thread

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
For lack of a specific subforum, I'm starting this thread for the discussion of sewing machines in the context of sailboats: sailmaking, canvas making, repairs, and so forth.

I think it can become a valuable resource for those looking for sewing machine solutions, as when people share their experiences with various machines on various jobs.

So, I have three machines, and I'm planning on running some tests of toughness on leather and multiple layers of marine grad Sunbrella. I'll post what I find if I ever get around to it!

Cheers,

jv

Tedd

Jul 25, 2013
TES 246 Versus near Vancouver, BC
Looking forward to it! I have a project in mind for my boat and I'm sure I'll find your information useful.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Well, I should say that it helps to know how to sew! Getting an appropriate machine for sailboat work is just the beginning.

Many, many boat sewing tasks can be accomplished with home sewing machines. It's when you run into heavy fabrics and leather, and multiple layers of fabric, that you will appreciate a heavy duty, walking foot machine, not to mention a machine that can take the needles required for these tasks, both material and thread sizes.

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
test the head of a jib. A Palm and needles couldn't get through that mess: 3 broken needles and a few near misses with needles flying at fingers, hands and eyes, I gave up, and took it to a local shop once I got back from that trip.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
test the head of a jib. A Palm and needles couldn't get through that mess: 3 broken needles and a few near misses with needles flying at fingers, hands and eyes, I gave up, and took it to a local shop once I got back from that trip.
What's your point?

By the way, this is the sewing machine thread, not the sail repair failure thread. :)

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
This was my sewing machine…

IMG_2686.jpeg

Great for single stitches, repairs to sail webbing, etc…but not for sewing very much.

I was on eBay and saw this Singer HD for sale, and I put in a bid ~$87 IIRC. Didn’t really expect to win…but I did.

IMG_2681.jpeg

The housing is plastic, but the guts are metal. I have watched many videos comparing the Singer HD to older vintage metal machines or even a Sailrite…my Singer is no Sailrite! But I can sew multiple layer of sail cloth, multiple layers of Sunbrella, and my heavy canvas Top Gun boat cover.

This weekend, I wanted to add a tab to my boat cover. I sewed it on a few years ago with the Speedy stitcher, but it needed to be redone. The tab is 4 layer of sail cloth, which I was able to sew on to the boat cover with no issues (besides my poor sewing skills).

You can the old Speedy Stitches, and 2 rows of machine stitches.
IMG_2683.jpeg

In case you are interested, the zipper in this part of my cover has pulled apart a few times, and the tabs on either side will get a shoe lace laced over the seam, so I can take the weight off the zipper.

I am looking forward to making a new helm cover, and trying to make new interior seating cushions.

I think my little Singer HD can handle those tasks. Maybe if I get good at sewing, I will upgrade to a walking foot machine.

Greg

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
This was my sewing machine…

View attachment 220262

Great for single stitches, repairs to sail webbing, etc…but not for sewing very much.

I was on eBay and saw this Singer HD for sale, and I put in a bid ~$87 IIRC. Didn’t really expect to win…but I did.

View attachment 220263

The housing is plastic, but the guts are metal. I have watched many videos comparing the Singer HD to older vintage metal machines or even a Sailrite…my Singer is no Sailrite! But I can sew multiple layer of sail cloth, multiple layers of Sunbrella, and my heavy canvas Top Gun boat cover.

This weekend, I wanted to add a tab to my boat cover. I sewed it on a few years ago with the Speedy stitcher, but it needed to be redone. The tab is 4 layer of sail cloth, which I was able to sew on to the boat cover with no issues (besides my poor sewing skills).

You can the old Speedy Stitches, and 2 rows of machine stitches.
View attachment 220264

In case you are interested, the zipper in this part of my cover has pulled apart a few times, and the tabs on either side will get a shoe lace laced over the seam, so I can take the weight off the zipper.

I am looking forward to making a new helm cover, and trying to make new interior seating cushions.

I think my little Singer HD can handle those tasks. Maybe if I get good at sewing, I will upgrade to a walking foot machine.

Greg
Good for you! I am not familiar with that machine, but it's the second time I've seen a reference to it today. There are youtube videos on tuning it up, etc.

Sewing: you just have to do a lot of it. I do some tailoring, from simple stuff like blind-stitched trouser hems, to shortening sports coat and suit sleeves and making the cuffs functional (surgeons' cuffs). The more you sew the better you get. And the faster, too!

I just got some new PJ's that I may have to hem. :) I also add tabs for hanging them up like a robe.

What's the model number of your machine?

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
easy @jviss, if there is a machine that can sew the head of a jib, I'm buying iT!
I confess I am still not following you. You originally said "test the head of a jib." What does that mean?

Yes, there will be parts of a sail that require hand work. But there are machines that can punch through all of those layers of material, and do so as slowly and with as much power as needed, i.e., industrial machines with servo motors.

To what part of the head of a jib do you refer?

But wait, this thread is already going off the rails. It's supposed to be about machines. :)

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
@jviss Test what you got, and beyond leather and sunbrella: add in layers of dacron and webbing please. If you can get through the webbing and reinforcement layers at the head of the sail, please tag me.

I have a sailrite. Been great so far, but too heavy for onboard storage. LZ-1. Looking forward to your testing.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I have a friend who owns a Sailrite LZ-1. It has turned out that he doesn't do very much sewing, so I have custody of his machine. He comes to my home and does some sewing a few times per year and I use it the rest of the year. I primarily use it for repairs to my Fairclouth canvas winter cover and to repair stitching in my dodger and bimini. I have added zippers to my winter cover and split the winter cover into 3 pieces that zip together. I've added cutouts for my stern radar pole with zippers to close. I've added leather pieces to my bimini and to my dodger where hands come to rest transiting the cockpit, and I have replaced window vinyl in the dodger and bimini. I've made covers for my fenders and dock roller. I've made BBQ covers too.

And of course I hem my jeans.

The Sailrite LZ-1 and its sister machine that does just straight stitching are much better suited to marine work than a home machine. Their main claim to fame is the walking foot and the power to sew through many layers of Sunbrella and leather. I upgraded the Sailrite motor to the Worker-B system and IMHO it is the only way to power the machine. You can literally run the machine at 1 stitch per second at full power!

The only complaint that I have with the Sailrite is the short arm. It is a real challenge to get large pieces of work under the arm and it is definitely a limiting factor. And although it is billed as a "portable", the weight is far too much to lug around- I'm guessing it is about 50#.

Here are a few examples of my projects-

2021_0605_172444.jpg2021_0605_172454.jpg2021_0605_172503.jpg2015_1024_221908.JPG2022_0824_162433.JPG

Jan 7, 2011
Good for you! I am not familiar with that machine, but it's the second time I've seen a reference to it today. There are youtube videos on tuning it up, etc.

Sewing: you just have to do a lot of it. I do some tailoring, from simple stuff like blind-stitched trouser hems, to shortening sports coat and suit sleeves and making the cuffs functional (surgeons' cuffs). The more you sew the better you get. And the faster, too!

I just got some new PJ's that I may have to hem. :) I also add tabs for hanging them up like a robe.

What's the model number of your machine?
Singer 4411 HD. Paid $86 for it. Like new.

Not too sure I will do clothes, but I did sew a canvas bag and strap for putting stuff in while climbing the mast.

Greg

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Singer 4411 HD. Paid $86 for it. Like new.

Not too sure I will do clothes, but I did sew a canvas bag and strap for putting stuff in while climbing the mast.

Greg
Does that machine have a walking foot?

dj

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
And although it is billed as a "portable", the weight is far too much to lug around- I'm guessing it is about 50#.
I have to agree. I'm not sure portable is the right term. I have brought my sailrite with me and am using it essentially as a portable machine but it's serious work to have it portable. My biggest question was where to store it while underway. You sure don't want that machine to become airborne! I don't have a locker where it fits, it's too big. I finally found a place where it fits and it has ridden well. But if anyone is thinking to take one of these in their boat, check where you are going to store it.

I will say though, it's great to have along!

dj

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
I have to agree. I'm not sure portable is the right term. I have brought my sailrite with me and am using it essentially as a portable machine but it's serious work to have it portable. My biggest question was where to store it while underway. You sure don't want that machine to become airborne! I don't have a locker where it fits, it's too big. I finally found a place where it fits and it has ridden well. But if anyone is thinking to take one of these in their boat, check where you are going to store it.

I will say though, it's great to have along!

dj
It should probably be strapped down! It could cause serious damage if things start to rock and roll.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Does anyone here have a Sailrite Fabricator? I hear the predecessor to that one is the Tacsew T111-155. I'm looking at one for sale now. It's a straight stitch, walking foot, industrial machine. Not sure yet the one I'm looking at has a servo motor; I think a servo motor and a synchro positioner are huge upgrades.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
It should probably be strapped down! It could cause serious damage if things start to rock and roll.
@jviss With all due respect - I've just crossed the Atlantic with it, been chased by two hurricanes, had some other "serious" weather and it has not moved. I think I've got it covered...

dj

Jan 7, 2011
Does that machine have a walking foot?

dj
No walking foot. You can buy an attachment, but it is not a true walking foot like the Sailrite. I saw a few videos on it, and wasn’t convinced It was worth the purchase price (not terribly expensive).

Greg

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Here's my thoughts on what a "new to sewing" sailor needs to consider when looking for a machine.

I agree that heavy duty home machines with all metal gears are a good place to start to learn sewing and marine materials. As Greg mentioned they can be had for under $100. They can handle many projects on a boat. they can handle the thread and needle sizes normally used in curtains, cushions, etc. They can punch thru several layers of Sunbrella but may struggle pulling thicker and heavier materials while while continuing to sew good evening spaced stitches.

As a user's sewing abilities grows, projects will grow and become more complicated. The more complicated, larger, and costlier projects become, the user will want to start using thicker, stronger and more UV resistant threads to make the project last longer. They will also want to sew more layers with heavier materials. This will require a walking foot machine that can handle the larger threads. This most likely will be a portable, walking foot sewing machine with a more powerful machine.

The next step in high quality, expensive projects that need a lot of protection from UV degradation is using a thicker thread yet or Life Time PTFE thread. The project will never need to be re-sewed. Life Time thread is just that life time. While Life Time thread can be used in the portable walking foot machines it takes special tuning and will always result in some skipped stitches. (per SailRite). Now it's time for the user to step up to an industrial grade machine. Most include a servo motor for much better slow speed stitch control while at full power and can handle thicker layers of materials.

Here's a link to SailRites Thread & Needle Recommendation Guide
It includes charts for sewing projects, thread and needle sizes needed and what thread sizes and needle sizes the three types of machines can handle.