The Sewing Machine Thread

Aug 2, 2009
Catalina 315 Muskegon
There are plenty of great domestic machines from before 1975 or so that are suitable for some canvas projects in addition to general sewing. I've collected them for years, buying, fixing, selling, and am currently down to just four machines. I haven't owned any European machines, but pretty much every significant Singer pre 1965 and a slew of Japanese machines pre 1975. My favorite machine is my early 1970's Kenmore 158.1802, although pretty much any of the 158 series Kenmore machines will be an excellent machine. The 158.1802 is metal inside and out, can do a nice long stitch, has a double power pulley system for more punching power, takes cams, has a wide zig zag, and can even do stretch stitches and buttonholes. It can't do every job on a sailboat, but it'll do curtains, cushions, tarps, and I did a nice mainsail cover with it.

The only real downside of the 158.1802 is that it's fairly complicated inside because of all the functions it can perform mechanically. That means that doing a thorough job of oiling can take awhile.

Attachments

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
There are plenty of great domestic machines from before 1975 or so that are suitable for some canvas projects in addition to general sewing. I've collected them for years, buying, fixing, selling, and am currently down to just four machines. I haven't owned any European machines, but pretty much every significant Singer pre 1965 and a slew of Japanese machines pre 1975. My favorite machine is my early 1970's Kenmore 158.1802, although pretty much any of the 158 series Kenmore machines will be an excellent machine. The 158.1802 is metal inside and out, can do a nice long stitch, has a double power pulley system for more punching power, takes cams, has a wide zig zag, and can even do stretch stitches and buttonholes. It can't do every job on a sailboat, but it'll do curtains, cushions, tarps, and I did a nice mainsail cover with it.

The only real downside of the 158.1802 is that it's fairly complicated inside because of all the functions it can perform mechanically. That means that doing a thorough job of oiling can take awhile.
What machines that you have, or have used, have a walking foot?

A walking foot cannot be overemphasized for utility especially with multiple fabric layers....

dj

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Singer 4411 HD. Paid $86 for it. Like new.

Not too sure I will do clothes, but I did sew a canvas bag and strap for putting stuff in while climbing the mast.

Greg
I'm seeing refurb units on ebay for $127. Is the small throat on this machine an issue when repairing sails?

Aug 2, 2009
Catalina 315 Muskegon
What machines that you have, or have used, have a walking foot?

A walking foot cannot be overemphasized for utility especially with multiple fabric layers....

dj
Consew 206-rb5 and a Thompson. Agreed, an old domestic machine is a far cry from a true walking foot machine, but fine if used within it's limits.

Aug 2, 2009
Catalina 315 Muskegon
I'm seeing refurb units on ebay for $127. Is the small throat on this machine an issue when repairing sails?
The small throat would be the least of your concerns if you intend to use it to repair sails. That is if you're referring to mains and jibs on boats over 22 feet or so. You could use it for repair to a light, nylon sail like a Sunfish or a spinnaker up to a certain size. I haven't done much sewing on nylon sails without a walking foot and can't say how much you'd be dealing with material slipping resulting in uneven stitching. I tried to sew some marine canvas that was PVC on one side (maybe Top Gun?), and while my Kenmore had no problem punching through it, feeding was very problematic.

Now, somebody's going to come along a tell us how they used their Singer 4411 to repair the mainsail on their Island Packet 42. These sewing machines discussions often end up as arguments on how big a project a domestic or non-walking foot machine can handle, and opinions very widely. Definitely a case of YMMV.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
I have an old White machine that I have used to re-sew a main sail cover. I would love to have a proper walking foot machine for canvas work but I can't justify the cost for the little amount I do.

This full metal machine cost me a whopping $20 and makes it through many layers of sunbrella with only minor complaints and somewhat uneven stitching.

20230927_201339.jpg

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I have an old White machine that I have used to re-sew a main sail cover. I would love to have a proper walking foot machine for canvas work but I can't justify the cost for the little amount I do.

This full metal machine cost me a whopping $20 and makes it through many layers of sunbrella with only minor complaints and somewhat uneven stitching.

View attachment 220325
That's a very sweet looking machine.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
It certainly could be a challenge.

I originally bid on this machine because I was considering replacing the UV over on my Genoa. After watching several Sailrite videos, I was not very confident I could do it…in part because I could not see getting the sail in position for the short runs every 4 feet or so.

Turns out the jib was pretty bad after I took the old UV cover off, and North Sail suggested replacment.

I did just sew a patch on my winter boat cover (it is in 3 pieces) and a tab near one of the zippers…surprisingly, I was able to get the cover positioned nicely on the machine (several feet from one edge in the throat).

Greg

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
The LS and LSZ machines have a 7" deep throat. I've been able to restitch the sun cover on 3 jibs, 2 from 27' boats and 1 from a 30 ft boat (mine).
@Hayden Watson , what machine did your wife use to build your Star of Papillon spinnaker?

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
The LS and LSZ machines have a 7" deep throat. I've been able to restitch the sun cover on 3 jibs, 2 from 27' boats and 1 from a 30 ft boat (mine).
@Hayden Watson , what machine did your wife use to build your Star of Papillon spinnaker?
She has the LSZ and used it for the Star of Papillon as well as the 135% genoa 3 dodger covers, the Pap-Pac, binnacle cover, all cushions...
I have gotten quite proficient with tuning it. I even managed to get it to sew Tenara thread.

• Helpful

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
I have a friend who owns a Sailrite LZ-1. It has turned out that he doesn't do very much sewing, so I have custody of his machine. He comes to my home and does some sewing a few times per year and I use it the rest of the year. I primarily use it for repairs to my Fairclouth canvas winter cover and to repair stitching in my dodger and bimini. I have added zippers to my winter cover and split the winter cover into 3 pieces that zip together. I've added cutouts for my stern radar pole with zippers to close. I've added leather pieces to my bimini and to my dodger where hands come to rest transiting the cockpit, and I have replaced window vinyl in the dodger and bimini. I've made covers for my fenders and dock roller. I've made BBQ covers too.

And of course I hem my jeans.

The Sailrite LZ-1 and its sister machine that does just straight stitching are much better suited to marine work than a home machine. Their main claim to fame is the walking foot and the power to sew through many layers of Sunbrella and leather. I upgraded the Sailrite motor to the Worker-B system and IMHO it is the only way to power the machine. You can literally run the machine at 1 stitch per second at full power!

The only complaint that I have with the Sailrite is the short arm. It is a real challenge to get large pieces of work under the arm and it is definitely a limiting factor. And although it is billed as a "portable", the weight is far too much to lug around- I'm guessing it is about 50#.

Here are a few examples of my projects-

View attachment 220267View attachment 220268View attachment 220269View attachment 220270View attachment 220271
Or maybe 60+lbs. It is heavy and the short throat is a drawback.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Or maybe 60+lbs. It is heavy and the short throat is a drawback.
I agree that's a heavy machine and the throat is on the small side, but I can't imagine what it would weigh if it had a notably larger throat....

dj

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
I agree that's a heavy machine and the throat is on the small side, but I can't imagine what it would weigh if it had a notably larger throat....

dj
Yes. We have trouble with ours skipping stitches. Very frustrating. It can go hours with no glitches then hours of frustration.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
A friend of mine bought a Sailright machine then tried to drag too much material without helping the feed along and knocked it out of sync. I took it apart and tuned it up. The mechanism is very much like my White machine, I suspect most of these heavy duty machines are very similar but those are the only two I have worked on.

Apr 5, 2009
A friend of mine bought a Sailright machine then tried to drag too much material without helping the feed along and knocked it out of sync. I took it apart and tuned it up. The mechanism is very much like my White machine, I suspect most of these heavy duty machines are very similar but those are the only two I have worked on.
Here is an article on how the LS and LSZ-1 came about.
I also read a different article several years ago about how the Reliable brand came about and it was basically an unlicensed clone without the the support and QC that Sailrite demands from their supplier.

Apr 5, 2009
As for the throat size on the LSZ-1 It worked fine for our 135% out of 6.4oz Super Cruise for our C30. The cloth will roll into a very tight roll if you have a way to hold it. I made spring-rings out of 2" or 3" PVC. I cannot remember the size but it was the largest diameter of PVC that would fit through, and it worked great.

• Helpful
Apr 5, 2009
FYI, many say that the oscillating hook on the LSZ-1 will not work with Tenara thread. I used to have a ton of problems with it until I rigged up a TP roller type of thread holder [patent pending].
TP spooler.jpg
That and a seperate bobbin holder that has much higher bottom tension and it sews perfectly.

• Helpful

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
I just lubed the machine hoping that would help.. No joy.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Have you gone through the Sailrite timing videos? They are great for resolving stitch problems.
The videos are great for setting the machine up. My White machine I had to figure out as I went along, the Sailrite was much easier because of the great support.