The Sewing Machine Thread

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Update - based in part on feedback in this thread, I ordered a Sailrite LSZ on a Black Friday sale for canvas and leatherwork. Wish me luck!
Did you get the new motor? That's supposed to be excellent! Happy sewing! Good luck...

dj

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
Did you get the new motor? That's supposed to be excellent! Happy sewing! Good luck...

dj
All new LS and LSZ machines come with the WorkerB drive motor. From everything I have heard it is an amazing improvement. Just a small step below a servomotor. It has 2.5x the torque of the older motors and can be speed limited all the way down to a single stitch. If we decide to build a new encloser, a WorkerB wlll be on the Sailrite order.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I retro-fitted the WorkerB motor on my LSZ and the control is nothing short of amazing. I believe that @Hayden Watson is correct, that all new LS and LSZ machines come with he WorkerB motor.

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
We received our new LSZ last Friday. It is quieter, more powerful and that LED light is fabulous. I also sent our old LSZ to Sailrite after numerous exchanges with them and the machine was still skipping stitches. They said they will make it like new.

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
I sent our old LSZ to Sailrite after many viewed videos and correspondence with them after I could not resolve the skipped stitch issue. They received the machine on Dec 1. The experts there tuned, tweaked, and tested the machine and shipped it back that very same day. Huge kudos to the pros at Sailrite. Absolutely first rate support and customer service.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
The problem with these machines is using them enough to remember how they work. The last time I used mine I was skipping stitches badly. Went through everything with the thread, made sure it was routed correctly and tension was correct. When all else fails I referred to the directions and found I had the needle in backwards with the scarf on the needle on the wrong side. Quick fix and it sewed beautifully.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I agree. I've been thinking of making a threading diagram with needle position diagram, laminating it and keeping it at the machine. Especially useful as my wife is making bags and found out how useful the walking foot is on thick seams vs our 60's domestic machine.

I read an interesting thought on the LSZ1.
A lot of people feel the LS machines are too finicky. Probably due to the increased torque knocks them out of timing when there is a needle strike. Most can't do the fine tuning needed. The breaking Posi Pin is an attempt to a fix.
Thoughts?

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
I agree. I've been thinking of making a threading diagram with needle position diagram, laminating it and keeping it at the machine. Especially useful as my wife is making bags and found out how useful the walking foot is on thick seams vs our 60's domestic machine.

I read an interesting thought on the LSZ1.
A lot of people feel the LS machines are too finicky. Probably due to the increased torque knocks them out of timing when there is a needle strike. Most can't do the fine tuning needed. The breaking Posi Pin is an attempt to a fix.
Thoughts?
On our LSZ that we purchased 12 or so years ago we had several needle strikes at the very end of restitching our daughter's dodger, bimini and installing four new windows. Correcting the timing was beyond my eyesighgt and skill set. But as I noted in an earlier post I sent the machine back to Sailrite and they turned it around the same day and shipped it back to us. Sews like new.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I hope I'm not veering this thread off course but can anyone recommend some decent thread for canvas? The amazon special I bought a couple of years ago is already degrading. It said it was UV safe :huh:

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I use the recommendations from Sail rite...

dj

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I use the recommendations from Sail rite...

dj
Thanks for posting this. It lists Tex 70-138 for a sailcover. Which size is larger - 70 or 138? Do you know of any reputable brands to look for?

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
I only use a lifetime thread on canvas. I use Tenara but it is not recommended for an oscillating hook machine like the LSZ. I have figured out how to make it work and already spent the $150 for the spool. If you have an LSZ, get the Lifetime thread from Sailrite. you never need to restitch like with polyester.
You will thank me in a bout 3-years when you do not need to restitch everything.