Repairing boat after Hurricane Zeta

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I got a phone call on Friday from the Yard asking if I had time to come and talk with the Fiberglass guy, Timmy.

I arrived 35 minutes later to find this...
NewRudderWhite.jpeg

Our new Rudder inserted into the boat side, Rudder Bearing Tube.:yikes::cool:

The Yard followed our suggested install method, with the exception of my being there to video it.:(

Note: The install method was coordinated effort by SBO [Joe Kerr], Foss Foam Rudder maker, a few close friends, and Engineer [me].
_____
The Great News...

The Rudder Bearing Tube is now aligned again and the New Rudder Side Bearing fit!!

New RudderTop.jpg

Top view...
Hole in top.jpg

______
The next step is what Timmy [FRB expert] needed me to discuss...
1) The Yard needs to lower the hoisted boat back on its blocked up Keel/Jack-Stands. Lowering the Hydraulic Jack at same time.
2) Gently tap the Rudder Bearing Tube [RBT] downward to its OEM position.
3) Clean up the FRP hole and secure RBT in position. Per Timmy, two thin strips of mat.
4) Finish the FRP repair back to OEM conditions. That part was not part of the Hull, but a patch for Cockpit drainage.

This method assures the perfect OEM, Vertical Rudder Shaft alignment.;)

This all sounds complex, but it was Hunter Design for all Wheel type steering.

This is my Road Map to terms and understanding for All Hunter Owners.
RudderBearingText.png

Here is a picture from SBO showing the Rudder Tubular Enclosure [RTE]
[the white column= RTE].
holding tank.jpg
That makes the boat Water Tight.

Inside that RTE is the RBT. Clear now?

What was pushed up on my boat was the RBT that was glued to the RTE by the OEM.

Pant pant pant, whew, a lot of Initials...:cowbell:

I do this explanation because of 4 Private Messages from people who have Rudder Issues.

I did confirm the RTE and RBT bearings were all good, prior to the Rudder order from SBO shops.

Inside RBT looking up.
RudderTube Lower.jpeg
Essentially no wear.

Step by Step...

Jim...

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
After a "Gentle" Push on the Yard, we finally started moving forward on the Fiberglass work again.

The entire hull and weather deck is finally water tight again.:clap:

Done on the Anniversary of Hurricane Zeta ... October 29, 2020.

This the where the Rudder Push up cracked the Weather Deck seal. Plus it stabilizes the Rudder Bearing Tube [RBT] in its Vertical position. [Terms and Road Map Post#102 above]

Hole in top-2.jpg

Timmy [FRP Repair] then stabilized the RBT with some horizontal mats and a few screws[ one magnified in below pict]. He told me he "Yellow Taped" the deck holes, since we had done the same with Silver Duct Tape, to prevent rain water flow from entering the Boat.

InsideStructFix2.jpg

But...
He did not seal it tight and we had 10 days of steady rain that filled up the bilge and killed our houses Batteries and Engine start battery.:facepalm:

This is on the Boat Yard insurance my guess $1100.
_______
Now we have this first seal of the weather deck, but not finished yet.

SealedWD.jpg

The RBT is perfectly Vertical and soon ready to install the new Edson Steering Radial Wheel [aka Quadrant].
________
A before pictures of our Steering...
QuadLoupe2.jpg

Step by SLOW steps...

Jim...

PS: I am now very knowledgeable on Rudders and their bearings.;)

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
The other damaged caused by SeaTow when they lifted to boat back into the water.

RubRailDamge.jpg

Correct lift spot shown by Yard as a greasy spot on the right.
The magnifying spot showing the Broken Rub Rail Keeper

So we needed some "Keeper" for the H430, and thanks the Hunters Parts from SBO Stores they sent me 8 feet of it! :):)

RR Keeper-1.jpg

______
Now the FRP fix and Deck/Hull re-sealing.

DeckHullFix.jpg

So Timmy told me, no need to pull off Port Side Rub Rail to Fix it.
He Screwed the two pieces together with 3M-5200, in between, just like OEM.

We now believe in Timmy and his repair skills. Of course I helped a bit with Joe Kerr and Dave at the SBO shops.;)

Jim...

PS: Also should mention @jssailem who is helping me immensely and a great sounding board!:clap:

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I got a phone call from the yard asking if it was ok to start work on the...

Gel Coat Stress Cracks

They said 10 days of perfect weather would allow them to push forward.

My Answer...

HELL YES !

The Admiral had big smiles, since in 2019 she told me we needed a new Boat. Why?
Gel Coat Stress Cracks :facepalm:

She called them Spider Cracks [See post # 56 where she pressures Jimmy, the yard owner:laugh:]
______
A few Pictures of our Gel Coat areas in stress.
StressCracks.jpg

LadderSCracks.jpg

GelCoatStressCracks.jpg

The Hair line cracks are only in the Gel Coat.;)

Big smiles here...
Jim and Sue

PS: I was going to fix them per my hero, @Ralph Johnstone and his method on this link
Gel coat

PSS: Others should follow Ralphs expert advice on Gel Coat Crack Repairs.:biggrin:

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Just to show more progress and introducing TIMMY the Fiberglass repair Professional....

TheFRP Pros.jpg

More work on the bow damage and scraped area.
BowScraps.jpg

Side Patch being leveled.
SideDamage Progress.jpg

Area around Rudder Shaft progressing...
RudderArea Progress.jpg

Bottom Rudder area Hull crack , next step.
HullRepairRudderBttm.jpg

Progress since perfect weather for next weeks...:cool:

All smiles these days.:biggrin::biggrin:
Jim...

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
While fixing the Gelcoat Stress Cracks this was Discovered under some ropes on the opposite side of where SeaTow made their lift.
PortLiftDamage.JPG

This was not seen before by PIC adjuster or me. [suspected cover up by SeaTow helper]
So same thing happened on both sides of the boat on the awkward lift from land to water.

Repairing that underway as base work started...
Crack Repair base.jpg

But more Rub Rail Keeper needed, so I bought more from SBO. :clap:

CrackFix#2.jpg

Still working the Fiberglass and Gel Coats

Jim...

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Great weather continued and 98% Gel Coat Stress Cracks [GCSC] have been detailed & filled.

After noting the "pet peeves" on a recent post, I decided to make a New Post GCSC soon, so it will be a fresh subject.

I will continue to post progress here also.
_______
Before work...
PortSideBefore.jpeg

After picture, noting the Rub Rail Keeper installed.
LiftPortSideKeeper.jpeg

This is the Port Side damage from SeaTow's Lift back to water.
_______
From the Starboard Side Lift, recently discovered, shown in my Post #110 above, great progress has been made.

StrdCrackDone1.jpeg

Also note the Standing rigging GCSC have been filled too [see closeup pict in my Post #107 ]

And the detailed shop drawing for my H430 and most boats of that era of production.
001 430 chainplate Drawing.jpg

The Yard had to order new Stainless Bolts and cut them shorter for final install.

Please note on that drawing, "Voids packed with adhesive sealer".
Here is my thought on why Hunter did that.

Reducing Gel Coat Stress Cracks:huh:

Lot of smiles as the restoration continues...
Jim...

PS: Progressive Insurance Company [PIC] just renewed our Boat insurance for 2022 and maintained Boats market Value.;)

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Update on Fiberglass Gelcoat renovation and Rub Rail finished. [see post above]

Starboard Side
RubRailStbdDone.jpeg

Port Side
RubRailPortDone.jpeg

All Lift damage finished.

Big Patch ready for GelCoat.
BigPATCHReady.jpeg

Hopefully soon the Radial Quadrant Drive installed.

Progressing slower, weather too variable.
Jim...

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Not much progress during the Winter, but we did mount the new Windlass Contactor.

The Windlass as not damaged, but when doing the Electrical Check Out, we found the UP did not work.
So I ordered an exact match Lewmar contactor $180.
LewmarCont.jpeg

The old contactor had the Red gasket squeezed out on the bad side [blow up picture to see the gasket]. The reason was the Heavy DC Cables were not weight Supported. So we bought these Stainless steel Cable/Pipe clamps to support them. $20.

Clamps.jpeg

Also those DC Cables could have interfered with the Anchor chain UP/DOWN action.

So this time we did it right! Thanks to Johnny [Son-in-Law] good work!

WindlessContator.jpg

We used the di-electric grease on all fittings,
The Black shrink wrap on the Red Cable was actually the Black Cable to the Start Battery.

The DC Cable color are confusing, but we got it right.

Note the Anchor chain tie off on left sided of picture. This stops full loss of an Anchor.

Jim...

PS: A few people have ask me why not much progress. I agreed and called my Insurance Company to push the Yard a bit.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Not much progress during the Winter, but we did mount the new Windlass Contactor.
The old contactor had the Red gasket squeezed out on the bad side [blow up picture to see the gasket]. The reason was the Heavy DC Cables were not weight Supported. So we bought these Stainless steel Cable/Pipe clamps to support them.
Good idea!
Yes, I would guess that the insurance company is just as eager as you are to wrap up the project. Yard storage fees must be costing them a forturne.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
A few people have ask me why not much progress. I agreed and called my Progressive Insurance Company [PIC] to push the Yard a bit.
I did call PIC about lack of progress in 3/35/2022. Eric, the Claims agent, was surprised at little progress.
So they "nudged" the Yard about progress.

Also got another call from PIC on 4/9/2022 [Cathy] to discuss in detail Latent Damages etc [ 1 hr 45 minutes and I even walked her through this SBO post] :biggrin::biggrin:
______
Some bad news happened around Sept 2021, while repairing around the Rudder damaged area, we had very hard and long rains for 10 days. There was a hole in the Weather Deck and all rain went inside the boat again and flooded with rain water.
This time fresh water, but much higher level. We had successfully sealed it with Duct Tape [silver]
OurTape.jpg

The Yard's Yellow Tape peeled up allowing the boat's Cockpit area to drain rain by the Rudder.
TopDeckWork1 copy.jpeg

The new flood shorted out our working House batteries
Direct Short.JPG

Regardless Xantrex's Claim of direct short protection the newly installed ICG, would not charge batteries again.
New Freedom 20101.jpg

After good tech support from them, No Luck :(

It took about a 6 week and 2 different Xantrex Techs. [Too long to explain why here, but if you want more info PM me]

We finally just removed that unit and installed a new one. [See next post coming soon:cool:.]
_________
What PIC Told me to do...
File another Incident and Claim against the Yard. [We are still fully insured even sitting on the Hard and the Yard was notified on our discovery]

Oh well 3 steps forward and 2 steps back...

As of 4/2/2022 we are in the same spot on Electrical Check as before this incident In Sept 2021.
____
Good news is PIC is engaged with the Yard again.

Jim...

PS: The Yard does not charge spot fees, while they are working on our boat.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
And yet problems galore. A sobering lesson for all of us.
We have gone from Smiles to Frowns during this Restoration Ordeal.
We are determined to Restore it and perhaps better than before the Incident.
____
On Positive side of the Electrical Set Back...

We installed the newest Xantrex Inverter/Charger to match our Generator's Output [2000 Watts] versus the Earlier Version we installed.

Inverter Charger | Freedom XC PRO Marine Inverter/Charger | Xantrex
FXCPROMARINE_top_noshadowth.png
This version has a control Panel on the top of the unit, remote Panel too, and an APP for BlueTooth link to control it from the Helm.
It was the same price ≈$1200 and fully programable for all battery Charging types.

Since we had already installed the other unit shown above[ post#116], it was nearly "Plug and Play". It took us about 3 hours to restore all on board 120VAC and 12 VDC circuits. We did have a chance to Verify our Windlass Contactor was Good. [post #114].
We installed 2 temporary house batteries and and a new Engine Start Battery.
These are pictures from the new install and remote panel [of course it did not fit the old hole:facepalm:]

The Remote Panel...
NewBTPanelController.jpg

That is showing parallel House Batteries in the Abs [absorption] phase at 13.9 volts and the DC Load is the Funnel Graphics on the right. The Green light is showing Shore Power is the source of Electricity also the Circle with Sine Wave is Verification AC and next page of controller showed 120VAC at 60 Hz. :waycool::biggrin::biggrin:
___
The new installation gave us much more room to install it.

newXantexICG.jpg

Note a duplicate control panel on top unit and I did not have time to download the iPad app that does the same.

The only pain was the last unit was ethernet and we had to pull that cable.
Now it is back to Marine grade telephone cable [ laying on top of unit] and we have to pull up the Cabin Deck to route it again.:banghead:

All in all this new ICG is worth the modernization.

Only 5 more DC circuits and we are back to full Electrical Restoration.

Jim...

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
The only pain was the last unit was ethernet and we had to pull that cable.
Now it is back to Marine grade telephone cable [ laying on top of unit] and we have to pull up the Cabin Deck to route it again.:banghead:
If you already have Ethernet run I would think you could still use that for the 4-wire signals. Just get a couple Cat-5 connectors to plug the phone wire into the Ethernet on each end. If memory serves a phone cable end will plug right into a Cat-5 coupler.