Complete Refurb - 78 C&C Mega 30'

Oct 10, 2015
c & c mega 30 portstanley
Your pics are inspiring. I posted 2 shots looking to stern of boat-obviously previous owners have made some questionable changes to layout. Hoping you might have a couple of stern shots of your boat that will allow me to understand how it is supposed to look. I would very much appreciate it.

Feb 11, 2012
C&C Mega 30 Long Point, Lake Erie
Your pics are inspiring. I posted 2 shots looking to stern of boat-obviously previous owners have made some questionable changes to layout. Hoping you might have a couple of stern shots of your boat that will allow me to understand how it is supposed to look. I would very much appreciate it.
Hi Alex...do these help?
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Feb 11, 2012
Off topic but....had to take a break from the Mega, and winterize the cruiser.
Now ready for indoor storage.
Wanted to keep dust etc. off of it this year...
Had last winter's 40'x 60' tarp kickin around with some war wounds.
Cut some patterns, quick sew job & voila...old is new again.
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Attachments

Feb 11, 2012
Cabin sole, omg.... over 3hrs of sanding with 40 grit oxide, just on the two pieces, and that's only the front of them!
37 yrs of varnish, good-bye....will be using Cetol clear, to match the cabinetry.
image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2012
Designed some aluminum stanchions (legs) for my settee & v-berth boards.
Slightly polished with buffing wheel.
image.jpg

Feb 11, 2012
Cedar transom engine mount wedge.
Angled both vertically & horizontally.Will be sealing it with white yacht paint, before mounting.image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Feb 11, 2012
Back they go where they belong. Have to have them down to get the proper measurements for the new companionway staircase I am designing.
I think they look really classy with the white beneath.
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Feb 11, 2012
I been asked by fellow "sailors" if I designed everything myself, and how did I get to the final outcome.
No different then any other DIY'er here on the forums....we get out the paper & pencil.
Here are some initial scribbles & final drawings for some of the refurb.
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Feb 11, 2012
Cockpit sole structural support made from 3/16" mill finish aluminum.
Then hidden behind the same tinted polycarbonate as the window replacements.
Once installed the angled aluminum will be mounted to it, then the electrical panel to it with hinges, so it can be flipped down for access.
The electrical panel is poly cored aluminum backer with the matching tinted polycarbonate face.
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Feb 11, 2012
These are the companionway steps, 3/16" aluminum. 24" w x 9" deep.
They will be curved with welded supports and hinged brackets underneath, so they can be flipped up against the uprights....to stow the staircase.
The oak pieces will be cut to size, epoxied to the aluminum steps, cleared with cetol to match the cabin sole.
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Mar 2, 2011
Compac 14 Charleston, SC
Wow! I used to crew on a Mega 30 back in the 80's and spent many weekends racing on it in Texas. It was the fastest boat on Lake Conroe for awhile until the owner upgraded to a Dehler 34. I loved the retractable keel on such a big boat!

Feb 11, 2012
Wow! I used to crew on a Mega 30 back in the 80's and spent many weekends racing on it in Texas. It was the fastest boat on Lake Conroe for awhile until the owner upgraded to a Dehler 34. I loved the retractable keel on such a big boat!
I've read these boats can "plane" to some degree straight downwind under spinnaker....
Can you offer any insight to this claim.