Complete Refurb - 78 C&C Mega 30'

Oct 10, 2015
c & c mega 30 portstanley

Attachments

Feb 11, 2012
C&C Mega 30 Long Point, Lake Erie
I see...thought that might be what you were describing.
There is a manufacturer or two doing the same thing with their outboards and hull, but of course they are designing them with that concept structurally capable.
Looks like you are going to get good at fiberglass if you aren't already.
Posts pics as you progress, we all enjoy them.

Feb 11, 2012
image.jpg

More progress for my hole in the water.
My new polycarbonate windows installed. A little bit challenging with the wrap around design, no big deal really.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Oct 10, 2015
got to ask--how did you do the windows? specifically bending them. Mine need to be replaced as one has multiple cracks. would really appreciate any advice/direction.

Feb 11, 2012
Having fun now....putting "all the pieces" together that I have been designing over the past year or so.

Guess some might be wondering what the business side of things are with regards to $$

Wifey and I looked at a ton of boats in the 30' range. We wanted basically the largest trailerable sailboat we could afford.
I'm a "do it yourself type of guy"...and will only own boats that I can tow,launch, fix, winterize, store etc. myself.
At the end of the day the class of retracting keel sailboats in the modern era were simply way too much for our budget. I haved owned two MacGregors...don't want another water ballast design.

Bought the Mega for $4500....add $585 taxes (got to love HST)!
Easily got $7000 plus worth of boat, gear, motor, & sails etc.

Had a semi-custom trailer built for it...$4900 cash.

Figured doing all the work myself, using all "the best" quality materials, and hopefully less then two years for the restoration..working here and there on it.

We came up with, and decided on a $14-15,000 budget.

We are on target at this point, and have nearly everything purchased...aside for some marine wiring & my bow thruster.

Our thought process was to have a near brand new 30' boat, for under $20K, and a brand new triple axle trailer under $5K.

Resale value is always arguable, but like all boats for sale, the right buyer is one who goes "gaga" over something that he thinks is over the top, and can't get anywhere else.....figure it could be worth the $30K range without the trailer.

We didn't embark on this project to sell the Mega anytime soon. Our desire is to sail it in as many different places we can over the next 10-15 yrs. Depreciation of course ensues...doesn't matter to us if we own it that long.

We have the best of all worlds.....a "beautiful" ...lol, C&C Mega 30, a restored F26 Trojan Express Cruiser, and a 30 foot 5th wheel trailer/ boat slip combo.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Attachments

Feb 11, 2012
got to ask--how did you do the windows? specifically bending them. Mine need to be replaced as one has multiple cracks. would really appreciate any advice/direction.
I mounted the flat parts on each side with SS bolts, washers, and nuts.....then I took three ratchets straps, attached them to the toe rails on each side at the gunnels....postioned them over the front of the windows that will be curved downward. Gently ratchet them slowly, forcing them down to the surface of the fiberglass, while at the same time you apply mild heat with a heat gun to the areas being bent. Once in place I bolted them the same as the flat portions.
I used 1" grey butyl tape all around the edges and each bolt hole.

Oct 10, 2015
appreciate the reply--wasn't sure about the heating part and putting even pressure as you bend them. thanks again

Feb 11, 2012
Kind of an order of operations reassembling the Mega.
Have been busy bedding all the new fittings & hardware on the cabin top in order to install the inner cabin molded fiberglass window liners.
image.jpg

Need to install the fiberglass liners in order to loosely install the rest of the teak cabinetry.
Need to loose fit the cabinetry in order to know exactly where the PVC strapping is going to be installed with 3M 5200 to the rest of the boat's ceiling. This strapping will be what the soft white perforated ceiling material & the LED lighting is fastened to.
I'm assuming this will be my last chance to install the PVC with the forecasted warmer temps early next week.

Short a few SS bolts for the cabin top, store is closed...decided to mount the tiller handle and some hardware.
Check out my new tiller lock!
image.jpg
image.jpg

Feb 11, 2012
PVC strapping adhered with 3M Fast Cure 5200 for hard & soft ceiling liners
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited: