Complete Refurb - 78 C&C Mega 30'

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
WOW, FANTASTIC cabinetry work SWGIII! Looks like a nice shop setup too.
What is the finish on the cabinets? I am working on an epoxy sealant, then Epiphanes. Seem to sand more off than I put on at times......

Feb 11, 2012
C&C Mega 30 Long Point, Lake Erie
WOW, FANTASTIC cabinetry work SWGIII! Looks like a nice shop setup too.
What is the finish on the cabinets? I am working on an epoxy sealant, then Epiphanes. Seem to sand more off than I put on at times......
Thanks Apex...raw teak with Cetol clear. Two coats. That's it.

Feb 11, 2012
Swim platform installed (except for the support lines into the transom)
1" x 20" HDPE support sculpted and installed beneath the platform at the transom face. Any loads are now transferred to it, rather then the hinges.
Single 3/16" aluminum backing plate that conforms to the transom opening which includes the hinges and support.
The plan is to have each of the 1/2" lines enter the transom, ride over a Schafer cheek block, hang vertically, pass through a strong aluminum angle bracket (stopper) at just the right length for the platform when open.
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Feb 12, 2016
C&C 33 Sorrento, BC
Paul,
Just stumbled on this thread. I am in awe of your DIY capabilities.
I took delivery of hull number 10 in the spring of 1978.
Took it with me when transfered to Vancouver. Over a couple of years had new galley units installed. Also installed diesel sail drive.
Subsequently moved into a C&C 33 but maintained a part ownershhip in KC10 for decades. Having recently relocated to Shuswap Lake, BC (retirement)
I am now trying to reaquire the Mega from my old partner. It will be a blast to get it out on a lake again.
With regards to downwind: once got it to plane off a swell and promptly blew the rudder off the lower pin! Pretty exiting for a few minutes before we got the chute down. Seems C&C had sent out a mod for the rudder pin mounts but since I had moved they never got to me.
Looking forward with great interest to continue following your project.

Cheers,
Cam McCallum
Sorrento, BC

Feb 11, 2012
Paul,
Just stumbled on this thread. I am in awe of your DIY capabilities.
I took delivery of hull number 10 in the spring of 1978.
Took it with me when transfered to Vancouver. Over a couple of years had new galley units installed. Also installed diesel sail drive.
Subsequently moved into a C&C 33 but maintained a part ownershhip in KC10 for decades. Having recently relocated to Shuswap Lake, BC (retirement)
I am now trying to reaquire the Mega from my old partner. It will be a blast to get it out on a lake again.
With regards to downwind: once got it to plane off a swell and promptly blew the rudder off the lower pin! Pretty exiting for a few minutes before we got the chute down. Seems C&C had sent out a mod for the rudder pin mounts but since I had moved they never got to me.
Looking forward with great interest to continue following your project.

Cheers,
Cam McCallum
Sorrento, BC
Hi Cam,
What a wonderful thing it is to hear of someone's desire to regain ownership of a boat they were once so fond of!
I really wish you success in your endeavours to rekindle with the Mega.
Hull #10, wow...ours is #59. We love our Mega, it has become a product most would have never envisioned for a boat so ridiculed, by so many.
Not likely we will ever get ours as fast as you mentioned (especially with the added weight now) but I would like to learn more about this rudder pin failure, and it's modification.
I am equally in awe of your diesel sail drive installation.
Our plan was to convert this "racer" into a cruiser to the best of our ability...not an easy task, but rewarding none the less. The narrow beam and retractable keel has its limitations with regards to the ergonomics of the available interior space, but they are also what makes this 30'er so enticing. Legal trailerabilty, single handed mast raising, and virtually limitless places to splash it.
Our living space is considerable when we include our cockpit and it's enclosure.
Thank you for post reply, enjoy as I try and finish the Mega for May, and feel free to inquire about any of my "outside of the box" approaches to this "beauty" ...lol.

Feb 11, 2012
Staircase welded...will be cleaning up the welds, and buffing it up.
Then install the wood slats on the steps to match the cabin sole.
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Feb 12, 2016
C&C 33 Sorrento, BC
Paul,
Indeed the Mega was/is a polarizing design. Many seem to object to the 'non classic' lines.
No worries, the numbers tell the tale. :) Our Mega wasn't as 'pretty' as our 33 but was easier to sail and faster as long as you are not going tight to
windward in a chop. What seemed strange in 1978 is much more commonplace now (lifting bulb keel, powerful fractional rig, light weight, trailerable).

The rudder deal was the bracket that affixed the lower pintle to the the rudder case failed under pressure of high boat speed.
From the picture you posted showing your rudder case, the fix appears to have been installed. I will look for old photos that may show same.

I decided on the sail drive (Bukh 10hp) because when motoring in a swell the outboard would come out of the water and cavitate.
I selected the unit (much measuring to insure it would fit under the cockpit sole) but had pros install it. I wasn't about to cut the hole in the bottom. :)
It is positioned as far forward as possible and while heavier than the outboard, the weight is out of the stern and I am convinced it actually helps the sailing characteristics. Very quiet in its sound deadening enclosure and runs forever on 5 gal. of diesel.

What I have to do now is get it back!

Cam

Feb 11, 2012
Some cockpit additions. Weatherproof switch panel, cockpit table pedestal (doubling as Nav. Pod - more on that later)...SS waste & water deck fills, 30A Furrion shore power plug, aft anchor rode deck pipe, and a generator plug in for the Pro Sport battery charger.
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Feb 11, 2012
Purchased a new Sailrite Ultrafeed LSZ-1. Built it in my tables (it is still portable though if need be)
Been sewing up a storm...all 4" cushions inside and out covered with NaugiSoft marine.
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Feb 12, 2016
C&C 33 Sorrento, BC
Paul,
Further to the Mega's polarizing design:
With its high freeboard, slab sides, flat bottom, lifting bulb keel, narrow beam,
bubble coach roof, fractional rig, light displacement to length it certainly was a
love it or hate it situation, but:

Check out www.l30class.com/en/
Just bring about 8200€.
Seems like Pete Barrett was just 35 years ahead of the curve. :)

Cheers, Cam

Cheers, Cam

Feb 11, 2012
Paul,
Further to the Mega's polarizing design:
With its high freeboard, slab sides, flat bottom, lifting bulb keel, narrow beam,
bubble coach roof, fractional rig, light displacement to length it certainly was a
love it or hate it situation, but:

Check out www.l30class.com/en/
Just bring about 8200€.
Seems like Pete Barrett was just 35 years ahead of the curve. :)

Cheers, Cam

Cheers, Cam
Wow, there are so many qualities that are reminiscent of the Mega in the design of the L30...

yes Peter Barrett was decades ahead in his approach to what now seems to be today's design trends.

I am looking forward to some of the reactions there may be amoungst other sailors in this size category, but especially looking forward to my peace and quiet alone time on the water sailing her once again.
Countdown to splash is on...

Feb 11, 2012
Cushions are done....not perfect but hey, top end 4" high density cushions & top end supple leather like NaugiSoft vinyl, and about a third of the cost of having it professionally done.
In fact, I was able to pay for my new Sailrite Ultrafeed and then some with my savings.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Feb 11, 2012
Looking Awesome.
Thanks Pateco.
More basic & challenging projects on the go now...
Full dodger & enclosure to make.
Installing all the new wiring & lighting.
Installing all new plumbing & head.
Solar vent install.
Bow thruster install.
Rudder - Outboard steering connection rod.
Full HD Top Gun boat cover to make.
Mast raising system hardware install.

Working two jobs really makes it tough to squeeze in the time needed for all this stuff.
Rockin' & Rollin'