Luna, The Story of a Forgotten Catalina 30.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
That rag tied to the clean out is a nasty.
Someone did do some good work on the Y valve install. They double clamped the hoses using the proper staggered technique with stainless clamps. Unfortunately they used the cheaper open clamps the tear into the hose. The get a C plus for putting in the Y valve.

Nice to see the years of moss being shed so easily.

Feb 9, 2022
MFG 20 Columbia City
I got a few pics of the interior when I was out cleaning her up today. Yes there is water in my bilge, I did bail some out to get it off the floor and only in the bilge. It’s fresh water either from some leaking chain plates (found 2 that were wet) or from windows leaking, I found at least one of them. I have plenty of work to do, but that honestly is my favorite part, I love making old junk new again. I get way more satisfaction that just buying shiny. So the curtains are rotted, I need to make some new ones, the cushions are actually ok, and I have a bit of mold removal still to do. Oh and the lines on the deck were from the tape that used to hold the carpet in place. It was house carpet that was oddly overlapped and cut from many different pieces. I plan on making some patterns and cutting all weather carpet into “logical” pieces that will allow bilge access and what have you.

View attachment 202745View attachment 202746View attachment 202747View attachment 202748View attachment 202749

I think I need to learn how to sew… lol. This is the 3rd boat I currently own that needs sewing services. Well the first one has all the sewing done now, but my Bayliner Capri is all rotted and so are some of the pieces of this boat. At least there is a quality radio on board… I have a newer Standard Horizon radio with GPS and all that, but the one here is not bad. I don’t know if it works yet, I have not put power to the boat. I don’t like where the house batteries live, but I have not found a better location yet I need new ones of those too.
If you are interested in doing your own sewing you need to check out the Sailrite.com website. They have everything you would ever need and offer excellent instructional videos.

Feb 18, 2022
Catalina 36 Port Orchard
If you are interested in doing your own sewing you need to check out the Sailrite.com website. They have everything you would ever need and offer excellent instructional videos.
Funny you should mention that, I am actually working on learning to sew. My Mom is going to teach me and I have been watching plenty of videos. My first project is going to be making new curtains.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Ye Gods! Step1: Get rid of the bladder and every hose in the boat...Step 2: clean every surface they touched including the outside of the water tank. We'll discuss cleaning the inside of the water tank after you've done those two things.

One thing is certain: you won't be able to say you have nothing to do for a loooong time! :cowbell:

----Peggie

Feb 18, 2022
Catalina 36 Port Orchard
Ye Gods! Step1: Get rid of the bladder and every hose in the boat...Step 2: clean every surface they touched including the outside of the water tank. We'll discuss cleaning the inside of the water tank after you've done those two things.

One thing is certain: you won't be able to say you have nothing to do for a loooong time! :cowbell:

----Peggie
Those items are on the top of my to-do list! Right before I left the boat yesterday I found out the adaptor I bought for the clean out fits so I‘m going to get the hand pump over to my boat and pump it out.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Once you get all the hoses off the tank, how hard will it be to take it off the boat and pressure wash it inside and out? If you don't have a "homeowner" power washer version, I suggest you buy one...they aren't expensive. My last boat was a project boat that I bought from an estate...wasn't quite as dirty as yours, but close. I bought my first power washer to clean the bilges in it and also the deck, hull and cockpit. Used carefully it won't harm anything and gets into places that are impossible to reach even with brush on a mop handle. Use detergent--Dawn dishwashing liquid is an excellent grease and grime cutter. Apply it full strength using a sprayer...the power washer dilutes too much if you put in its reservoir. Sure beats the socks off scrubbing down the entire boat by hand!

--Peggie

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
It's a shame it doesn't have the original table. I'd make one with the white Formica when you do the counters. I'm sure somebody with a C-30 can measure it for you. It conveniently turns the settee into a double bunk. That's where the wife and I would sleep on trips because it was easier than climbing into the v-berth. It's a nice feature to have. I made all new cushions for my C-30 when I first got it.

Sewing is easy and rewarding. Figuring out why there's a giant wad of thread on the bottom of the piece is the hard part. (Hint - thread the machine correctly and hold both threads to start :) ) My mom was a life-long quilter and while she didn't teach me to sew she taught me the most important part of sewing well: the magic words. While sewing things will go wrong often. So you need to say the magic 4 letter words to appease the demons that live within sewing machines. She preferred one that began with "s." Whirr-whirr-whirr-"Shxx!". For hours. I have a more powerful machine and I prefer more powerful words. :)

Found an old thread here on the holding tank: Thread Link

It has an original diagram from '81 (All U Get posted it). The thread also lists the Ronco part #'s for the tank that will fit under the port settee. Venting out the starboard side by the water fills is bizzare. Just vent up by the head. I can appreciate the "hose clamps" the prior owner bequeathed to you.
C30-tank.jpg

Jul 18, 2015
South P10 Pugetopolis
This is close....
DIY Repair Information
Do it yourselfers are welcome at Swantown Boatworks. Information on our Best Management Practices and bottom paint sanding requirements should be reviewed prior to starting work on your boat inside the boatyard.

Hylebos is in tacoma, might be closer for you. Economical marina and boatyard services in Tacoma, Washington.

Feb 18, 2022
Catalina 36 Port Orchard
Hylebos said they have no travel lift operator at the moment, and even if they did, lifting a 30 footer is sketchy at best with their lift. A 36 is the smallest they like to lift. Also they are not a DIY place and in all honesty, I like doing my own work. It would be nice if they would be able to help me, I could row the boat there, they are so close.

Feb 18, 2022
Catalina 36 Port Orchard
Once you get all the hoses off the tank, how hard will it be to take it off the boat and pressure wash it inside and out? If you don't have a "homeowner" power washer version, I suggest you buy one...they aren't expensive. My last boat was a project boat that I bought from an estate...wasn't quite as dirty as yours, but close. I bought my first power washer to clean the bilges in it and also the deck, hull and cockpit. Used carefully it won't harm anything and gets into places that are impossible to reach even with brush on a mop handle. Use detergent--Dawn dishwashing liquid is an excellent grease and grime cutter. Apply it full strength using a sprayer...the power washer dilutes too much if you put in its reservoir. Sure beats the socks off scrubbing down the entire boat by hand!

--Peggie
I have a really nice 3600psi pressure washer with several Different nozzles that should work great. It’s gas powered so it will stay outside, but I did get my Vee berth hatch open yesterday so my hose should reach no problem.

I called Ronco today and found my tank number is B-123 for the one under the settee on the port side. What was not known was the locations of the fittings. I called Catalina to see if they could send me any info about it, and so far no reply. At least now I have the dimensions so I can double check that it will work for my needs. I’m not sure when I can get back to the boat to clean out the bladder but it will be here soon.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
You don't necessarily want the fittings where Catalina puts 'em...we need to talk about that, so how 'bout sending me a PM to start that ball rolling once you're sure that tank will fit that space on YOUR boat that was built before Catalina had even thought about holding tanks.

--Peggie

Feb 18, 2022
Catalina 36 Port Orchard
Well today wasn’t a good day. Went to good ‘ol West Marine to get a new shore plug port for my boat, and a diesel jerry can to move the “diesel“ off the boat… and… my transmission in my Avalanche was slipping something horrible! I just put that in the truck 9803 miles ago. So I decided to go to the boat and get the last of the previous owner‘s stuff out. I need to make a dump run with my son’s truck because I’m going to be driving that for a while till I can get my warranty settled.

So back to Luna. I got the lazarettes cleaned out and took some pictures of the inside of the port side. I have a couple questions about what I found in there.

So what is this?
AE639B1A-B0A8-43D3-A6B2-0C77B58D0E5D.jpeg

next up there is a pipe of some sort with what looks like asbestos around it (due to the year of the boat it very well could be), I didn’t get a chance to get inside to see where it goes all together.
F2EF3CDF-DADB-4ACC-B4AA-CBCA299D85DF.jpeg

this is the back of my propane solenoid, any thoughts on it?
E13E1D6E-9410-45D3-B3EF-3F092C0BEDAF.jpeg

Need some propane? No? You sure? I got about a 1/4 tank still…
5C396DD4-13AF-4536-954B-9A574BC89309.jpeg

And lastly here is the back side of my very messed up engine control panel. Yes I even have the 5 amp melted plug that looks like it was about to go up in smoke and or flames. The previous owner seems to have gotten really lucky with all the sparky fire starters onboard this boat.

071684D3-E277-4B3C-A504-5F99E3AE0A38.jpeg

Like the high quality twisted together wiring job? Looks good huh? I found wiring like this all over the boat. Oh how glad I am I know electrical!
C8A76665-8CF8-4FA3-BB88-2D9F8201AA1E.jpeg

And for your viewing pleasure a close up of the plug.
1BD550DB-38A1-4DDB-A811-4FCCCDED44EF.jpeg

Feb 18, 2022
Catalina 36 Port Orchard
So I wanted your all‘s thoughts on using Anderson Power Poles for the rebuilding of the panel and engine harness. I use these for model railroading and I am good at creating wiring harnesses with them. They come in 15, 30, and 45 amp versions that all use a common outer shell of various colors. They link together to form a solid plug, and the contractor is silver coated brass for the 15 and 30 amp, and nickel coated copper for the 45 amp. The only drawback I can see is the fact that these are not waterproof. The ends could be filled easily enough, but it will not stop water all together. Then again the factory plugs didn’t prevent water intrusion either.

The pic below is one of the harnesses I made for my trains. I would be building a similar style harness with the chaff shield around the wires.

760B9D77-E15F-4075-82BF-5F27EA1B50F7.jpeg
9EDEB5EF-C454-485C-9AA1-EB8AF3D89C6F.jpeg

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
[QUOTE="mikeracca, post: 1736620, member: 159338
this is the back of my propane solenoid, any thoughts

Need some propane? No? You sure? I got about a 1/4 tank still…
[/QUOTE]
Looks like you’re going to need a new tank & valve. Tanks need to be inspected, pressure tested & recertified every 10 years; I don’t that tank is going to pass muster. Test the operation of the solenoid and/or replace. Also replace all rubber goods and leak test.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
This photo appears to be the remnants of an Espar diesel heater…does that wrapped pipe exit the boat somewhere? It looks like the exhaust pipe from the heater. Where does that black hose go? It looks like the hot air duct. And thr wired box says Espar on it…I expect some sort of control Box for the heater.

Greg

Feb 18, 2022
Catalina 36 Port Orchard
This photo appears to be the remnants of an Espar diesel heater…does that wrapped pipe exit the boat somewhere? It looks like the exhaust pipe from the heater. Where does that black hose go? It looks like the hot air duct. And thr wired box says Espar on it…I expect some sort of control Box for the heater.

Greg
So that wrapped pipe goes into the rear lazzerette and I didn’t trace it after that, it’s not visible just from opening it up in there. There was a thermostat like you would see in a house on my chart table, but it was broken and I cut it off and tossed it, there is also some dial control that says Espar that I didn’t know what it was on my chart table. Most of the paint is gone so…. The hole above it was where the thermostat used to go.
F60A393F-8E73-428D-8259-942E110F19B1.jpeg

Feb 18, 2022
Catalina 36 Port Orchard
Looks like you’re going to need a new tank & valve. Tanks need to be inspected, pressure tested & recertified every 10 years; I don’t that tank is going to pass muster. Test the operation of the solenoid and/or replace. Also replace all rubber goods and leak test.
Yea, I know the tank is toast. I’m not even sure of the year on it, I can’t find a year stamped into it anywhere… if they even stamped them back when this one was made. I was always planning on replacing my propane hose, I just didn’t know is the switch is of a quality manufacture, and the factory solenoid as well. Yes most definitely they will be tested. And or replaced.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
I was always planning on replacing my propane hose, I just didn’t know is the switch is of a quality manufacture, and the factory solenoid as well. Yes most definitely they will be tested. And or replaced.
One good thing, those propane system parts should be readily available from Catalina or online chandleries. Nigel Calder has an excellent chapter in his book regarding ABYC compliant propane systems....good reference source.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
So that wrapped pipe goes into the rear lazzerette and I didn’t trace it after that, it’s not visible just from opening it up in there. There was a thermostat like you would see in a house on my chart table, but it was broken and I cut it off and tossed it, there is also some dial control that says Espar that I didn’t know what it was on my chart table. Most of the paint is gone so…. The hole above it was where the thermostat used to go.
View attachment 203337
The knob below the hole says Espar Heater Control…

I suspect the wrapped pipe exits the boat somewhere on the transom e or the side of the hull by the lazzarette.

Lots of “OP Issues” to deal with on an old boat:banghead:

But once you get here cleaned up and things done correctly, you will know here inside out and have some confidence in her. :cool:

Greg

Feb 18, 2022
Catalina 36 Port Orchard
But once you get here cleaned up and things done correctly, you will know here inside out and have some confidence in her. :cool:

Greg
That is my goal! I kinda did that with Lilly, but she was a much simpler boat. And being a smallish MacGregor 25 she really didn’t need much. I still haven’t played with the electrical system in Lilly as I only use her for day sailing.