Luna, The Story of a Forgotten Catalina 30.

Feb 18, 2022
Catalina 36 Port Orchard
Oh, I forgot to mention… I found out my boat is a tall rig version. I found the original order sheet, and I found out I’m the 4th owner. Original owner had her from 79 to 92. Second owner had her from 92 to 2002 and paid $18,500, the 3rd owner bought her in 02 for $10,000 and I came around last week being her 4th owner. I’m not sure who names her Gwen Joy but I found that name on paperwork from owner 2 forward. The 3rd owner passed away in 07, and I’m not counting the marina as an owner, kinda like a car dealership isn’t counted as an owner of a car or truck.

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
Sewing is easy. For small stuff the ~$120 singer 4xxx heavy duty series is a decent machine. For canvas I finally broke down and got a Sailrite LZ-1. Yea, it's a lot better.

If you need clips for new curtains, sailrite has them. When I did the exact same job on my C-30:

3184004 PK10Curtain Carriers Eyelet Style
$1.95​
$7.80​
1025732 PK5Mounting Clip for Curtain Track
$1.95​
$3.90​
3100811 PK5End Stop for Curtain Track
$1.95​
$1​

Feb 18, 2022
Catalina 36 Port Orchard
With the condition of my curtains and tracks, I’m most likely going to just replace the whole lot. Not sure quite yet if I’m going to use slip in shades or curtains… I got a few more projects that are a bit more pressing to get done first. Wiring, engine running and my prop and rudder cleaned so I can get the boat to move.

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
With the condition of my curtains and tracks, I’m most likely going to just replace the whole lot. Not sure quite yet if I’m going to use slip in shades or curtains… I got a few more projects that are a bit more pressing to get done first. Wiring, engine running and my prop and rudder cleaned so I can get the boat to move.
Sailrite has the tracks too.

What engine do you have?

Feb 18, 2022
Catalina 36 Port Orchard
Sailrite has the tracks too.

What engine do you have?
I honestly do not know which engine it is. It is not the factory engine, I know that much. It’s made by Universal and it’s a 2 cylinder. It sticks up a bit higher than the settee does and some one (I think last owner) made a modification to the engine cover so the cushion doesn’t sit directly on the engine.

From the documents I found in the boat, owner #2 didn’t take the best care of the engine. He paid a marine mechanic on 2 different occasions to free up frozen accessories, and a couple years later it looks like the engine got rebuilt. That was a Universal 5411 that was rebuilt. This engine looks similar to the 5411 but it has a hose going to the top of the valve cover that sticks up above the engine house that the 5411 doesn’t have. The guys at the marina that knew the previous owner said the boat got a new engine shortly before the guy passed away. I also believe that owner #2 was having issues as there was a ton of documentation on diesel filtration and I found an external fuel filter that’s not currently attached to the engine among the misc clutter in the boat.

Where will I find my engine model number?

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Mike
Look for flat spaces on the engine body. Somewhere on the engine there is likely a stamped number.

Here is a copy of the 5411 engine manual. It may help.

Attachments

Feb 18, 2022
Catalina 36 Port Orchard
Thanks for the PDF of that document. I have the paper copy but it is not in the best condition, and it's a bit delicate due to being 40+ years old.

I do not remember seeing any coolant tank or coolant cap, so maybe this still is a 5411 engine, but then my question would be why does it not fit in the engine bay like the original engine did?

jssailem

Oct 22, 2014
Any bodies guess. Poor installation. Used the wrong engine mounts?

Feb 18, 2022
Catalina 36 Port Orchard
I forgot to ask… and of course I haven’t taken a pic of it, but maybe someone knows.

In my bilge towards the forward bulkhead on the port side there is something rubber that almost looks like a one way valve of sorts. Anyone know what this could be? I will get pics next time I go to the boat for clarity.

Feb 18, 2022
Catalina 36 Port Orchard
Ok a bit more show and tell and maybe some questions from more experienced owners.

I found these inside the boat! Kinda cool, I have not seen these since I did my very first oil change back in 1991.
F66BB37A-5BC2-4AE6-9E77-7C4F1400C22A.jpeg

Here is the thing I mentioned in the post before this. It looks like maybe a transducer or speed sensor? There is another one very similar in the engine bay that says Raymarine.
A34C1981-E518-49B5-AD0C-69FCA8C52DFD.jpeg

Next up is my engine cover. Is that bumped up part factory?
7FC098F9-328E-403F-A6E3-B5BE58CE5C80.jpeg

Here are some numbers I found under the V berth. There is also a water bladder next to the tank. All my fresh water hoses look like a disease waiting to happen, so add replumb the boat to the list of to-do’s.
5D510EEE-3104-4909-B46D-8B8591CDE315.jpeg
C38E2400-BE75-426C-A3F2-17784486B7A0.jpeg

I found my battery charger. I didn’t find any documentation on this when I removed the paperwork from the boat so I will look it up. It looks like it is in good condition… the wiring… yea let’s talk about that in a minute.
FE4A6CD7-A232-41D8-ABBC-1482E5D005EA.jpeg

And now the engine. It is a 5411 so that’s good, no more mystery engine. The oil looked good, the compression release works fine but I couldn’t activate the throttle. I don’t know if the cable is rusted solid (prolly) or the throttle is stuck. I couldn’t move the transmission or throttle in the cockpit so I’m hoping it’s just the cables. I didn’t have the correct tools with me to remove the cable ends to check for sure.
6D19E887-AB9E-4606-AF04-2D111A9436A9.jpeg

1D2A074C-6C67-45DC-AD73-1FDF6CA73E83.jpeg

I know the injectors have a return line to the tank but I thought the end injector was only supposed to have a single return line. This injector looks like it’s from a 3cyl engine, or it’s another #2 injector… I will prolly just make a T fitting to the return or cap it off.

And now the wiring… well I have another big chore ahead of me. You can see the pic below the hodgepodge mess that is whoever was here before me, and that’s not even the worst of it… at the control panel it’s even worse. So I am going to be building a new control panel and rewiring the engine. I think the house side of the boat is good, I hope it’s good I only know of one fixture that’s rusted, but I plan on replacing all the fixtures with LED anyway.
6962483D-A22C-4054-B65C-4E441D473FDD.jpeg

If you are still with me, thank you and if any of you know answers to my questions please lemme know. Oh yea, one more thing… I found my Diesel tank and it shows full on the gauge on the tank! Oh how I hope it’s only full of fuel…

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
You mentioned using Simple Green for cleaning the exterior. One word of caution. If you have any acrylic windows, it will cause them to become crazed so that you will not be able to see through them. The Mk1 boats had safety glass fixed ports but yours look like they may have been replaced with smoked acrylic.

Feb 18, 2022
Catalina 36 Port Orchard
You mentioned using Simple Green for cleaning the exterior. One word of caution. If you have any acrylic windows, it will cause them to become crazed so that you will not be able to see through them. The Mk1 boats had safety glass fixed ports but yours look like they may have been replaced with smoked acrylic.
I think they are still glass. They feel like it but I have not really paid that much attention. I have cleaned acrylic with simple green many times, but you are right it isn’t ideal. My experience is it leaves a film that is difficult to wash off if it is allowed to dry. Lilly got a full bath inside and out with Simple green and her windows are just fine… or at lease no worse than before.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I found my battery charger. I didn’t find any documentation on this when I removed the paperwork from the boat so I will look it up. It looks like it is in good condition…
Mike,
Do NOT connect it at either end.
Here's why:

You should also read ALL of the rest of the CRITICAL UPGRADES TOPIC.

Please recognize that this is for your SAFETY.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2022
Catalina 36 Port Orchard
Mike,
Do NOT connect it at either end.
Here's why:

You should also read ALL of the rest of the CRITICAL UPGRADES TOPIC.

Please recognize that this is for your SAFETY.
Yea… I discovered it wasn’t a very good unit even when new while researching it. The marina did say the bilge pump worked when it was plugged into shore power… until someone stole the shore power cable… oh well. Yea the 110 wiring on the boat isn’t as nice and neat as I would like there is a lot of extra romex in areas like cubbies that should be nice and neat. So whichever owner added it wasn’t very organized. Plus I do not need this many outlets all over the boat, just a couple is all that’s needed.

jssailem

Oct 22, 2014
Oh the joy of finding Previous Owners were not really boat savvy and that boats some how survive.

@Stu Jackson is a wizard with the Universal. Good thing to find the failed charger before you attempted battery charging. A new charger just got added to the list of upgrades.

While the wire nest looks bad you got to wonder how the previous owners were able to use the boat. It must have worked at one time.

If the wire you found is really “Romex” you need to take it home. It has no purpose on your boat. Romex is solid copper wire. It breaks and shorts when used in a boat. A great way to start a fire.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Cedar Creek, Bayville NJ
Here is the thing I mentioned in the post before this. It looks like maybe a transducer or speed sensor? There is another one very similar in the engine bay that says Raymarine.
That does look like some kind of transducer. I don't recognize it and it appears to be in a very strange location. All of the C30s I've looked at on the hard have transducers either under the v-berth or under the galley.
Next up is my engine cover. Is that bumped up part factory?
Mine has the cutout but it is covered with clear acrylic. Does any part of the engine come up into the "bump"?
I found my battery charger. I didn’t find any documentation on this when I removed the paperwork from the boat so I will look it up. It looks like it is in good condition… the wiring… yea let’s talk about that in a minute
That charger will make a good temporary anchor.
And now the wiring… well I have another big chore ahead of me. You can see the pic below the hodgepodge mess that is whoever was here before me, and that’s not even the worst of it… at the control panel it’s even worse. So I am going to be building a new control panel and rewiring the engine. I think the house side of the boat is good, I hope it’s good I only know of one fixture that’s rusted, but I plan on replacing all the fixtures with LED anyway.
Stu's link about wiring upgrades is a gold mine. What sticks out in the pic is the aqua lift muffler. It looks like somebody has put sometime of blue glue around the inlet. That inlet pipe is fiberglass and can easily crack from engine vibrations. Many replace the short stiff black hose between the exhaust riser and aqua lift muffler with a silicone hump hose like this one. Hump Hose. This hose lessens the vibrations reaching the muffler.

Sounds like you're putting together a pretty good project list.

Feb 18, 2022
Catalina 36 Port Orchard
It looks like the breather on top of the valve cover may raise up into that area. I have a cut out in the wood. This piece just looks hokey and added on to me. my cushions have a recess in them to lay flat on this spot. I’m not sure if that is factory or been squished over time.

As for my project list… over 50 items so far. This is going to be a long project!

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Mike, IIRC I gave you a link to the C30 owners group. Unfortunately, it is a group and not a website and also IIRC the C30 website is old, doesn't have a searchable forum but is packed with good info about your particular boat.

But since you recognize that you bought a Project Boat and are knowledgeable about the various systems involved in your projects, let me make another recommendation:

I have owned my C34 for almost 25 years, I'm the secretary of the C34IA,and very active on our C34 website and other boating forums. Your boat and mine share almost identical systems. I have organized a series of topics on our C34 website in a way that may be much more suitable for you to find the information you will NEED to do your reconstruction(s) other than boat-specific stuff like your "seat bump" :)].

I highly recommend you make some effort to at least view what's available there. Three main areas:

1. Critical Upgrades - CRITICAL UPGRADES - DO THESE OR ELSE!!! Different boats, but identical systems and problems. We call them Critical for a good reason. :)

2. 101 Topics including Electrical Systems 101 - "101" Series - Quick Links to "Popular" Topics includes "Electrical Systems 101" The introduction to this explains it all. Tons of links, but valuable ones.

3. Tech Wiki - Tech Wiki – Catalina 34 International Association Arranged by system, easy to follow.

Please at least become aware of these valuable resources. I'm trying to help you avoid reinventing the wheel. Really.

All the best,

Stu

Feb 18, 2022
Catalina 36 Port Orchard
Thanks @Stu Jackson yes earlier in this post I believe you shot me some links and I have read through them. Very good information.

Right now I’m in the clean up phase. That’s going to take a while to get done. She is a dirty girl. My efforts are in the interior first for 2 reasons. First, it’s cold out here right now, and I don’t cold very well. the second reason is when it’s warmer and I work too long, I will have a place to stay if I don’t feel like driving home.