Holding tank for 1980 Catalina 30'

Status
Not open for further replies.

igor

Sep 25, 2008
Catalina 30 Baltimore
I've been looking for the answer to this on this forum for a while, but have not seen it.

Recently tore out the old bladder holding tank, and the old head. Replaced all the plumbing, put in a new head. All is well, except I cannot find a holding tank that would fit underneath the port side settee...

I found that CatalinaDirect.com has a few holding tanks that they sell.. Has anyone bought a tank for their 30' Catalina? If so, which one?

If you have a 1980 Catalina 30', and you have a firm tank underneath the port settee, would you be kind enough to share a pic or measurements or both?

Thanks so much in advance!

Jan 6, 2010
Igor,
I replaced my tank on my 1980 30 Cat with an exact replacement. Call a Ronco Plastics, inc., as they made the originals, remember to make sure all the connections are in the same places.

If you still have the old tank give them the model number to match it. HERE'S THE LINK TO THEIR CATALOG. My tank model is B-123 h.d. and it was an exact fit. Their phone # 714,259,1385. I replaced it in 2006. The tank was $92.40 with shipping of $43.91 from Tustin CA. to Florida

Hopes this helps pal, let me know.......
Captnron

igor

Sep 25, 2008
Catalina 30 Baltimore
Thank you Cpt. Ron! I had a bladder tank, so that's not going to be of any use for the new one... I will try to use your model number... Any chance you could get me the dimensions for yours?

Thanks again!!

Jan 6, 2010
I,
look at the catalog link I sent you. The B23 was the original model# of the tank.

Check the dimensions off the sheet, but this replacement fit like a glove. I did have to cut out the aft side glassed-in back wood panel holding against the tank and used it as a template for cutting replacement wood to glass back in. Not too bad a job, but you need something to secure the tank. I also used the original top encapsulating wood and re-glassed it back in.

Let me know pal,
CR

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Thank you Cpt. Ron! I had a bladder tank, so that's not going to be of any use for the new one... I will try to use your model number... Any chance you could get me the dimensions for yours?

Thanks again!!
Hi Igor,
I have a 1981 and this is a copy of the parts manual. Mine isn't plumbed this way, probably done by PO's. The PO did enlarge the opening to fit it in.
All U Get

Attachments

igor

Sep 25, 2008
Catalina 30 Baltimore
Thanks very much for this! Definitely what I was looking for... Just talked with Linda at Ronco and we have a holding tank on order! Fantastic! Thanks again!

Jan 6, 2010
I,
Glad you found it. If your port side setee is the same as mine, and it should be dimensionally as the mold is the same. The relationship between hull and inner liner should match mine and the B23 tank will work for you. You will need to lock it in with glass attaching wood to the structure across the rear, front and across the top.

Give Catalina Yachts (calif.) a call and talk to Kent. he may be able to send you some drawings for the tank install.

CR

Dec 11, 2008
Catalina 30 Solomons, MD
Capt Ron, i wish I could get a Ronco B-123 for $100 now! They are $205 not including shipping.

I made the bow tank (25 gals) the holding tank...my plan is to add the B-123 port tank as a 2nd water tank.

Jan 6, 2010
Twice,
What a difference 2 years makes in costs! Was that the price quoted from Ronco? If so, I guess someone needs to pay for all the PORK we now have in gov't.

I assume you have the other water tank under the stbd bench. As I've said many times before that back when they built our boats, quality control wasn't an issue as there are so many differences from boat to boat.
My boat did have the v-berth tank installed with the boat.

Igor, if you read this, I hadn't heard of bladder tanks being used in the portside settee area. maybe a previous owner changed it out. You shouldn't use a bladder as a waste tank anyhow. Good that your changing it out. Kent at Catalina should have dwgs. showing the installation of the B23.

Good luck guys.........
CR

Dec 11, 2008
Catalina 30 Solomons, MD
CR, I've actually found the port settee Ronco tank for about $165 with no fittings in it, but Catalina Direct sells the Ronco tanks for the same price Ronco does..MSRP... currently around $205 - not incl. shipping. However, CD will do custom holes, which will be good for me since I am not using it for the traditional holding tank duty.

I have the 17 gal. blue water tank to stbd. I took the Ronco dimensions and had the V-berth tank custom built by Triple M Plastics in Maine out of polypropylene. They build tanks for fire engines and stuff. They built a new holding tank for my step-father's boat a while back, so when I needed one for my boat I sent them the dimensions I wanted and it came out perfectly. I designed it with all fittings on the top of the tank (every tank failure I've seen has been a discharge side fitting failed at the bottom of the tank (YUCK!), so I have the inlet from the head, two vents & a "dip tube" for the pump out side on the top. I didn't feel 17 gals in the port settee was quite enough for black water so I designed my system for the bow tank as black water (besides the P.O. had mounted other crap in the port settee, which I've finally removed).. The other benefit is there is plenty of space for the top mounted fittings as compared to the height challenged settee.

So, now I can add the port tank as fresh water..That should give me 35 gals, which will double the current capacity that I am used to having available.

Jan 6, 2010
TA,
Great idea dude. Funny, in this thread alone there were quite a few different orig. tank configurations it seems.

Good you have the extra water capacity too, as you never seem to have enough. On my orig. 2 tank fresh water system, There were no vent lines, only small holes drilled in the caps on top for venting so you really couldn't know when your tanks were full or overfilling from the deck fittings except listening to the venting sound.

I used to remove the covers and fill the tanks from inside the boat. I always thought it was dumb not to have them installed.

About 10 years ago I started using pool chlorine (a capfull a tank) to keep my water sweet. Use the liquid NOT the granuals as it builds up in the tank. It can sit for 2 months and still be fine, and I live in Florida. After sitting for awhile, not much initial stink gas when first using it. Some people use bleach (stinky with no aromatics) and this will eat at the hose wall and some older pvc fittings.

Spring's a coming, get out there pal.......
CR

igor

Sep 25, 2008
Catalina 30 Baltimore
Hey guys, Linda did quote me the $205 price initially, but I guess she was in a good mood that day, as she asked if I had a reseller license (or something like that)... I just told her that I had a Port Authority account (a friend of mine does, and let's my buy stuff at Waste Marine with a nice discount using his code), and she said then the price drops to something like $115-120 plus shipping... Worth a try!

Water tanks - I am also having an issue with venting. I've found myself flooding the areas where the tanks are as there are no vents going out. I am thinking of installing two thruhull vents high above the waterline... Anyone did that?

Jan 6, 2010
I,
There are 2 modes of thought on venting. If you don't want to drill holes thru a perfectly good hull, as finding a high point can be tough, you can loop the vent lines to your bildge, or snake them thru the vberth and vent to the anchor locker.

I hope you can get a good price for the tank, and I REALLY liked the "Waste Marine" title, do you mind if I use it???
CR

igor

Sep 25, 2008
Catalina 30 Baltimore
Cpt. Ron - be my guest - I stole the title from another boat buddy of mine. He'll be glad to know it's making "the rounds".

Jan 6, 2010
I,
thanks for the approval.

Do you have everything together for your project?

I used Marlon fittings as they are impervious to black water. I wouldn't use metal threaded connectors on the tank as they could cause cracking at the tank bung.

For any support drawings, here's the contact number for Kent.

Catalina Yachts • 21200 Victory Boulevard • Woodland Hills, California 91367 • Phone 818 884-7700

Keep me posted on how things are proceding pal....

CR

Catalina Yachts • 21200 Victory Boulevard • Woodland Hills, California 91367 • Phone 818 884-7700

Dec 11, 2008
Catalina 30 Solomons, MD
Igor, If you can get a deal like that, get a port water tank for me, eh? I am in Solomons, about 2 hours south.

I have a buddy with a Port Supply account too, maybe I can get him to pick me up a tank for cheap. :D

Another venting option (used on newer boats) is the stanchion bases have a 'thingie' in them now for attaching a hose that works as a vent. I still have the old tank with the cap & dinky hole....makes a nice whistling sound!!

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.