Which Trailer sailer (cruiser) -Under 2000 lbs to consider?

May 31, 2017
San Juan 23 Eugene
Ian

In my 30 plus years, I as a dealer had many customers were new to sailing and taught myself to ask questions so the customer could answer them themselves. I saw many good responses but have come concerned that you may be over whelmed as to what you want but actually are restrained by expenses and the tow concerns I have if using a small vehicle. In other words I am concerned with the safety of your family and you as well. This is why I brought this up because we all want you to make a wise decision having fun sailing. Whatever you look at take a sailor with you who knows boats. There are some who flapped their jawls trying to sell a sailboat that was in deplorable condition. On one occasion I went and pointed out the crap wrong with the boat. The seller was not happy with me questioning my credentials. I wish you could have seen his face after I told him. At this point there is nothing more to say unless it is a specific question on a particular sailboat
Dave, Thank you and your point is well taken. I do appreciate that you and others concern with safety, duly noted. While some may assume I am new to sailing, this is not entirely true. I used to sail a lot with my parents when I was younger I was on sailboats at age 6 months. During my pre teens and teen years I sailed mostly small Lasers singlehandedly, we also owned a small sunfish, and a saailing dinghy That I would sail. It has been a while for sure, my buddy gave us a sweet deal on our buccaneer 18 and we are ready for something else. I do have much more experience sailing than my wife, albeit when I was much younger. In my later teen years I moved to a 15' Boston whaler with a 70hp outboard, it was fast and use to go water skiiing nearly everyday, but moving so quickly I was missing the serenity and experience of relaxation on the water. Then I moved on to a windsurfer, but sold both during college. As you mentioned I don't really want a complete "fixer upper" I don't mind some work, I am familiar with keeping the bight-work clean and maintained and have done my share of fiber glassing over the years. If I come up with further question on a specific boat I will reach out. Thanks --Ian

Last edited:
May 31, 2017
San Juan 23 Eugene
Ian, as several of us have already pointed out, you really need to actually go look at some boats in the size range you're thinking about. You can't assume that a 19'-20' boat is more comfortable and roomy in the cabin than a 17'-18' boat. that's just not the case. when I was looking for a boat this size I was very surprised at how many, even up in the 21 - 22' range, felt very cramped. several even lacked sitting headroom in the cabin for me (I'm 6'1"). Also don't just get hooked on LOA, when it comes to comfort and stability. beam (and hull shape) is at least as important, if not more-so.
My offer is still open for you to stop by and look our two boats (Vagabond 17 and McGregor 25) over anytime you're in our area (GP). you need to get in a bunch of different models, along with your wife, and actually get some first hand experience. I'm not trying to sell you on anything, just offering to let you try on a couple different ones. You can buy and sell a half dozen different boats to find what really works for you, like we did, or do it the smart way ;) .
Russ, Yes, indeed, thanks. We plan-on seeking out boats to view. We have seen many but not had the opportunity to go for a sail, and my wife also wants to enroll in our local ASA courses presented by the parks dept here in town. We will need to figure out when we could make it down to GP to look at your two boats. Thanks again
--Ian

Dec 23, 2018
West Wight Potter 19 Indiana/Illinois/Michigan
Hi, I'm a newbie to this thread (and sailing) but reading the comments on this thread prompted me to join since I am in a similar position, looking online at boats that are family-friendly and can be towed by a smaller car (in my case a subaru outback 3.6), and found all the advice very helpful. In my case I'm not ready to buy, but looking to get the "lay of the land" (water?). I'd like to pose a question that revisits one premise of the original question, which discounted the West Wight Potter due to its looks/shape. I had thought that boat would really fit the bill as a low-weight boat with some creature comforts. Beyond the looks, which seem to me to have improved through the years, what are the general thoughts here about the West Wight Potters?

Dec 23, 2018
West Wight Potter 19 Indiana/Illinois/Michigan
As a quick follow-up, I don't mean to mislead people by representing myself as an actual owner of a WWP 19, but I was required to enter something when I signed up...

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Looks are a lot for some people, but I think it is a very cool traditional boat and of I had found one in nice shape it would have been my first boat for sure.

Things I like are the look and fractional rig. I have a slip mate couple who are older and downsized to a WWP 19 and just love it. It is one of the nicest boats in our marina too. The OP has his own criteria, you should have you own too. But best to look at lots and find the best condition you can afford.

Tons of info and a great owners following, which is always good for new sailors vs some other less successful brand.
https://www.google.com/search?q=wes...ie=UTF-8#scso=_PMEfXPqzM86a_QaoxavoDQ32:10.25

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Ask yourself what do you want to do with a sailboat for the next several years and how much you want to spend. Then start after you have made that determination as you will go nuts looking at everything. If you do settle in on a boat, ask an experienced sailor to look at the boat to so you do not buy a klunker

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
And try to avoid deciding on a particular boat and then go looking for only that model. you may die of old age, or loose interest in sailing all-together, before you find the right deal on one ;) . decide on the general criteria and then go take a look at everything close to that. when the right one comes along you'll know it. it's a lot like looking for a mate :) .

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I am glad the conversation continues!
These posts are like amino acids and the threads are the chains that become living cells. Some survive while others don't. The most viable ones split to become two, each with a unique DNA code that contains key traits from the parent cell.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
looking online at boats that are family-friendly and can be towed by a smaller car (in my case a subaru outback 3.6)
If memory serves me correctly you have a tow capacity of 3500 lbs. That should be enough for most boats up to 22' with headroom for gear, trailer and people.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
And try to avoid deciding on a particular boat and then go looking for only that model. you may die of old age, or loose interest in sailing all-together, before you find the right deal on one ;) . decide on the general criteria and then go take a look at everything close to that. when the right one comes along you'll know it. it's a lot like looking for a mate :) .
When I sold my O Day 222, I went looking for 25-footers. Came across a B23 5 and fell in love with it. Bought it the next week.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
... one could convert the cockpit into sleeping space like we did for use during fair weather.
Keep in mind that a good boom tent can turn a lot of smaller boats into good family overnighters

I plan on making the most out of some old 10 man tent cloth and poles. Including a stand-up cockpit shower and splash dodger, for Dragonfly.
My wife says there's no way she's going to carry around a tank full of $#;+ on board. She'll hang it over the side, she doesn't care where we are. I'm going to fit a toilet seat to a 5 gal bucket lined with a wagbag, just in case :waycool:.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I think it is fantastic that a simple question about finding the right small trailerable pocket cruiser has generated 7 pages of interesting responses. It shows how popular pocket cruisers and trailersailers are. Merry Christmas.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
The Sage Marine company make some new boats in the same vane.
Just saw a youtube video on the Sage 17 at
One thing that caught my attention was that the coachroof/cabin was made with carbon fiber. Depending on how this was constructed, carbon fiber has the ability to save a significant about of weight in lieu of standard fiberglass construction. Not only would it be a saving in weight for towing, it would reduce the center of gravity vs the heavier fiberglass.

Carbon fiber is more expensive so that would add to the construction cost. When analyzing and comparing boats this would be good to take into consideration.
Lapstrake design will add a nice sound when it's in the water.
Another option to look for is a swing-up rudder.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Just winging it here, but if I was to guess,
  1. because there is a cool factor,
  2. Helps in a 40 knot gust
  3. Some sailors are wimps.
  4. Money was no object.....

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Why do you need winches on a 17 ft boat?
While it is a "smaller" boat, the loads on a sheet on a 15 knot day are still significant.
I used to cruise and race a Ranger 20. More sail area and the stock winches were about a #8. For heavier air, many owners would install a single smaller two speed winch in the center of the bridge deck and lead the sheets by an extra block on each side.
Hauling in a sheet by arm power seems satisfyingly manly during the first 20 minutes of a windy day, but gets real old from then on. :)
In closing, Somewhere someone has come back in from a windy day and complained that the winches on their (size not relevant...) boat were Too Large and Too Easy to crank in.... !... but I have not met that person in 50 years.
:)