Repairing Hunter 40 damage from Hurricane Matthew

CYQK

Sep 11, 2009
beneteau first 42 kenora
So how is the transition from holding on to a yolk to hanging on to a sander going??
By the looks of it quite well!!

May 8, 2013
Hunter 40 Dataw Island, SC
So how is the transition from holding on to a yolk to hanging on to a sander going??
By the looks of it quite well!!
So far so good. No airborne withdrawal symptoms yet though I have been watching many more aviation related videos to compensate - lots of Kermit Weeks stuff from Fantasy of Flight :D. The dangerous time is when the trauma fades and nostalgia kicks in - like "Oh, Africa wasn't that bad" :yikes:. Not there yet!

May 8, 2013
What's this thing on the keel?:

As I work my way around the hull I had been meaning to take a look at this:

I think this might have been deteriorating for years but when the keel was stuck in the mud it really started working loose. I stuck a screwdriver into the cracked areas and some small chunks of foam came off with the filler. The triangle part was loose as well. Hmm (scratch head and wonder why Hunter would take the time and trouble to put a piece of foam on the end of the keel?) Well, you guys know me - not afraid to dig a little deeper :biggrin:

Out came the BFH. Didn't even need the BF part! A few whacks with the hammer and no more foam:

Now, I have a little bit of schooling in fluid dynamics - admittedly concentrated more in the area of compressible fluids - but for the life of me I can't see any valid hydrodynamic reason for this fairing. If you look at the picture, in the background is a Hunter 34 (don't know the year but definitely '80s era) and his keel has the same shape fin tip without a foam fairing. Maybe Hunter went for looks? One executive decision later, I'm going to hit this with the grinder to smooth the edges, a little Ospho for the bare metal then barrier coat. Why make more work for myself?

Cheers,

Mark

May 8, 2013
Transducers:

I have a conundrum:

These are the factory installed transducers for the speed log and depth sounder. Interestingly, when I got the boat the depth transducer wasn't in use, there was another transducer being used. I have no intention of restoring the factory gauges - I find the speed log to be marginal at best and hard to keep working and have other ideas for depth. In the age of GPS determining speed is, well, pretty easy and if GPS ever dies I can always tie some knots in a length of rope and toss overboard once in a while :). As far as depth I plan on moving to active sonar and the transducer for that looks like this:

It was pretty difficult to find replacement transducers for the factory pieces but they are out there. However, why? The factory parts are old tech and won't talk to the newer electronics so it's questionable as to whether to even keep the old transducers at all. My vote is no, delete them completely.

Here's my thoughts: on one hand, even though I don't plan to use them, they are not leaking (I could replace the seals for grins to be safe) and they're basically hidden - except they do protrude into the forward shower sump - so out of sight, out of mind and if I ever did need this type of transducer again it would be easy to pop a new one in. On the other hand, I don't see the instrument and sensor folks going back to these style transducers - old technology and all. So they are basically useless and eventually might become trouble. So the real question is - leave them there or remove the whole shebang and glass over the holes?

The process would be: cut out the surrounding shower sump enough to expose the hull around the transducer mounts, remove the mounts and grind the inner and outer hull, glass, fair and fill. Then patch and re-glass the shower sump. I already intend to relocate the tranducer for the sonar so no worries there.

Thoughts?

Cheers,

Mark

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
Transducers:

I have a conundrum:

These are the factory installed transducers for the speed log and depth sounder. Interestingly, when I got the boat the depth transducer wasn't in use, there was another transducer being used. I have no intention of restoring the factory gauges - I find the speed log to be marginal at best and hard to keep working and have other ideas for depth. In the age of GPS determining speed is, well, pretty easy and if GPS ever dies I can always tie some knots in a length of rope and toss overboard once in a while :). As far as depth I plan on moving to active sonar and the transducer for that looks like this:

It was pretty difficult to find replacement transducers for the factory pieces but they are out there. However, why? The factory parts are old tech and won't talk to the newer electronics so it's questionable as to whether to even keep the old transducers at all. My vote is no, delete them completely.

Here's my thoughts: on one hand, even though I don't plan to use them, they are not leaking (I could replace the seals for grins to be safe) and they're basically hidden - except they do protrude into the forward shower sump - so out of sight, out of mind and if I ever did need this type of transducer again it would be easy to pop a new one in. On the other hand, I don't see the instrument and sensor folks going back to these style transducers - old technology and all. So they are basically useless and eventually might become trouble. So the real question is - leave them there or remove the whole shebang and glass over the holes?

The process would be: cut out the surrounding shower sump enough to expose the hull around the transducer mounts, remove the mounts and grind the inner and outer hull, glass, fair and fill. Then patch and re-glass the shower sump. I already intend to relocate the tranducer for the sonar so no worries there.

Thoughts?

Cheers,

Mark
I cut out and glassed old transducers like that on a previous boat and replaced with a shoot thru the hull transducer. It cleaned up the interior and exterior of the hull and eliminated potential leak sources. Never regretted it.

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
the trailing edge of your keel looks like a defect when the keel was casted that they covered up. Can't understand why else the would foam and seal it other then a poor cast job.

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
I think you know the correct answer! ;-)

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
Might one of these go in one of your transducer holes?

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Would that be forward viewing sonar, from what I have read it is not quite there yet, but it is an improvement over just looking downward.

This is the article I was referring to on forward looking sonar evaluated by Practical Boat Owner

Last edited:

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
Would that be forward viewing sonar, from what I have read it is not quite there yet, but it is an improvement over just looking downward.
I saw an ad for it a few days ago, I think it is just shooting straight down.

Jan 17, 2010
Hunter Legend 40 Edgewater
So glad you are going in the water finally! Great posts. Currently in Fort Pierce getting the prop shaft and strut replaced.
Question, I need to improve the insulation in my deep frig of my Hunter 40 1988. Before I attempt to dig into the project can you share some photographs of what you found when you demo'd you galley?

May 8, 2013
I cut out and glassed old transducers like that on a previous boat and replaced with a shoot thru the hull transducer. It cleaned up the interior and exterior of the hull and eliminated potential leak sources. Never regretted it.
I'm leaning heavily this direction.

Might one of these go in one of your transducer holes?
I'll be researching this - from the picture and video it looks like the transducer housing is different so I'd have to remove the current setup anyway.

May 8, 2013

This is the article I was referring to on forward looking sonar evaluated by Practical Boat Owner
Looks like the primary lesson is there's a learning curve to interpreting the readout. I'm leaning towards the Garmin but not the Panoptix setup.