Hunter 37C Database - HELP NEEDED!

Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
No problem, Jim. You're doing a fine job and providing a great service to owners of the Cherubini-designed 37c

Yes, thanks for all your work. Bill & Mary Hull # 36
It is lots of fun for me, I assure you! The project started as a way to try and figure out where my own boat fit in the Cherubini history (it is one of the 'transitional' models between the original version and the later 'big window' 37s). It ended up being a wonderful experience of corresponding with so many great owners and hearing their stories. One of these days, when I reckon I have as much data as can be hoped for, I will write revision two of the "Brief History of the Cherubini Hunter 37".

YEHUDI

Jun 7, 2004
Hunter 37C BAYFIELD
Sorry for the tardy reply

HUN37041M79D still rigged as a cutter!

BERTHA STERN, Quarry Bay, WI (in the Apostle Islands near Bayfield, WI) -(formerly EASY OVER)

Peter Bloch
pbd@pressenter.com

Was originally a "showboat" for a dealer on Lake Minnetonka (just west of Minneapolis, MN) - then went to Bayfield, WI on Lake Superior in early 80s where it was sold to the folks I bought it from in 1989, which means this is 25 years!

We raised two daughters on this wonderful floating cabin during the summers sailing all over Lake Superior (mostly amongst the Apostle Islands; Caribbean of the North); they now demand their boyfriends learn how to sail as a requirement of their relationships.

I owned a 1969 Pearson Coaster prior, so was already in love with "classic plastic heavy displacement warships". When my 37C went up for sale, I bought is sight unseen with 2 recommendations from folks that knew the owners and a much anticipated shakedown cruise.

I salute you, Jim, for the wonderful effort at years of cataloging!

Jun 8, 2004
Re: Sorry for the tardy reply

Thanks for the information Peter! BERTHA STERN is now in the database. Like your kids, my daughter & son grew up spending summers on our boat. I have always seen CALYPSO as our floating family 'cottage'; we still try to get away for a 2 or 3-week cruise every summer.

Nov 28, 2011
Hunter 37-Cutter Seabrook Marina, Seabrook, TX.
Hi Jim

Thanks for keeping this list up to date. I reviewed the attached spreadsheet of vessels but didn't see mine.

HUN37152M80D 152 1980 D ‐ Nov 1979 Symbiont Seagull8481 Seabrook, TX

Just completed 2 year refit and moved from Chesapeake Bay to Galveston Bay. Sorry Jim I thought I had gotten this information to you but it appears that I have not.

Mike

Oct 30, 2014
Hunter Cherubini 37 Ladysmith
Hi Jim,
I own 1982 Hunter Cherubini 37 hin number HUN37279M82G. Name: Andimano, Location: Ladysmith, British Columbia, Canada. Owner : Quinton Lindgren

Jun 8, 2004
Hey Quinton, thanks for the info! I have added Andimano to the database. If you want a copy, PM me with your email address or send me an email at jameslegere[at]eastlink[dot]ca.

Mar 6, 2014
Hunter 37 Cutter Jacksonville
Hi Jim,
Would you please add hull # HUN37292M82G to the database. Originally named Lady Loraine and delivered on June 9, 1982, Night Train is alive and well in Jacksonville FL.

Jun 8, 2004
How many 37C's were produced? How many in the data base? Any ideas how many are unaccounted?
I guess somewhere around 403 were produced (that is the highest Hull Identification Number in my database). I have 114 boats confirmed by HIN. There are 297 owners registered with HunterOwners.com but some of these are duplicate for the same boat, as it was sold, or are husbands and wives, etc.

Jun 8, 2004
Hi Jim,
Would you please add hull # HUN37292M82G to the database. Originally named Lady Loraine and delivered on June 9, 1982, Night Train is alive and well in Jacksonville FL.
Done!
And that makes Night Train the 115th entry in the HIN list. :dance:
If you want a copy, drop me an email at jameslegere[at]eastlink[dot]ca

Oct 30, 2009
hunter h37c chaumont ny
Hi Jim, Please add us to the 37c database you are compiling. My name is Paul Marcellus and own a 1984 h37c, Hustler. She is berthed in Chaumont NY. My hull Id is HUN37383m84j. My email is sethly1@gmail.com

Regards,

Paul

Jun 21, 2007
Hunter Cherubini 36_80-82 Sausalito / San Francisco Bay
Hi Jim:

Occurred to me when looking at new owner Paul Marcellus' (*) post today --

If the boat in the below url is not in your database ... 'Natasha'

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/boa/4898670684.html

* Paul: Congrats your purchase and your obviously acute sense that you knew when you saw it a superior boat design with very much above average construction as Hunter did with their Cherubini series.

Jun 8, 2004
Hi Jim:

Occurred to me when looking at new owner Paul Marcellus' (*) post today --

If the boat in the below url is not in your database ... 'Natasha'
Rardi,

Thanks for the tip about the 1979 H37C called "Natasha". I would really need the HIN, home port, etc. to include it in the database; its the only way I can track these old girls, as they do move around. I am loath to contact someone selling on Craigslist who has ticked the box "Do not contact me with unsolicited services or offers" but if you know the owner and can put me in touch, that would be great. FWIW, I do not show any 1979 "Natasha" as a member at Sailboatowners.com either...

This project originally started as an attempt to document how many H37Cs were built and what changed over time. Something that Ed Schenck, JC II and myself had knocked around. Over time, I have positively identified over 116 boats by HIN and owner and discovered maybe another 100 - 150 possible boats lurking in the membership of Sailboatowners.com (out of a total of about 405 boats built - not too bad). Its been a lot of fun. And I have met a lot of great people.

Maybe we should think about including the H36s too since they are such close cousins? I was on board a boat like yours in Halifax a couple of years ago. There was a lot of deja vu happening.

Fair winds! (We are in for yet another Nor'easter and blizzard here on Sunday...sheesh!)
Jim

Jun 21, 2007
Hunter Cherubini 36_80-82 Sausalito / San Francisco Bay
Hello Jim:

Being from California, I can't imagine the frigid conditions that you (and the millions and millions of others along the midwest and Eastern Seaboard) must be enduring right now. Our daily 60-70F issue, other than virtually no rain, is that every day wind is zilch. Winter normally is a low wind period, but we do have pulses that get us out on the water. But very few this year. Because of the strong tidal currents on San Francisco Bay, even a say 5knt wind is not sufficient for a enjoyable sail other than futzing around back-and-forth in the channel. A petty situation compared to your wondering if your deep freeze and maybe some water wisking into the FRP will crack your hull or deck!

I see your point about contacting the Craigslist seller. But if I might suggest, let me eMail the Seller to introduce myself as a fellow Cherubini owner and to suggest that he/she be aware of the Cherubini forum and database. He should know about as a selling reference because everything on SBO forum would certainly encourage a prospective buyer who is interested in a 1980's era boat to put the 37's high on the list.

Regarding your observation about including 36's: Yes I have thought about also. Really though, the 37's are different in many respects. But for other elements, we do share construction similarities. I think very few 36's were made by Hunter compared to the 37's. However a simple "demarcation" on your database between 36 and 37 would serve. Under your guidance, I would be happy to spearhead a Cherubini 36 effort.

While at it: Others reading for Cherubini 33, 30, 27 and 25 willing to start a database for your models?

I have often wondered about the fate of my boat when say 10-15 years from now I lose day-to-day interest or become ill or injured. Or what my daughter will need to deal with if I become unexpectedly dead. First choice is that I would like that the boat be kept alive and will attempt to sell. But depending on the conditions, rather than anticipating some new buyer will return my "investment", which is diminished by $500-600 every month berthing/insurance/maintenance/property tax cost, at some point the least stressful solution might the demolition dock. But 10-15 years from now, and a whole new crop of sailors, also probably will not be much vintage premium left.

Tim M

Oct 19, 2014
Hunter 37C Blaine,Wa.
Finally did the de-naming and re-naming of #HUN37359M84G to "Harmonic". Originally shipped to the NW - have a survey dated early '85 in Ballard, WA. Spent time in Mexico and previous owner acquired it in Portland, OR and sailed it to Alaska and back to NW Washington over a 10 yr. period. Previously known as Gatta, Cygnet, and Amanda Grace.
We hope to keep sailing her here for as long as we can.

Jun 8, 2004
Thanks Tim. "Harmonic" has been added to the database. PM me if you want a copy.

Best wishes,
Jim

Alctel

Dec 13, 2013
Hunter 36 Victoria
How many 36s were made anyway? I've never been on a 37c and would love to see the differences between them and the 36 (jealous of that shower...)

If this is off topic I can take it to its own thread :)

Jun 8, 2004
How many 36s were made anyway? I've never been on a 37c and would love to see the differences between them and the 36 (jealous of that shower...)

If this is off topic I can take it to its own thread :)
I have only been on an H36 once; at first glance there are many similarities but the most obvious difference is the deck-stepped mast. I understand from JC II that the 36 is a stretched version of the 33, whereas the 37 cutter was an all new design at the time. I don't know how many 36s were built, but 37s topped 400.

Tld

Feb 27, 2015
Hunter 37c Virgin Islands
Hi all, this is my first post on any forum of any kind so please forgive my ignorance! My wife and I bought a Hunter 37c in Washington N Carolina a year ago and sailed it home to St John Virgin Islands. Her name is Obsession, 1980 HIN- HUN37171m30g. We are full time live aboard's and our first Cherubini hunter. Just thought you may like to add it to your data base.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
That makes you and your wife very lucky sailors. And me very envious!
But your HIN is either a typo or hard to read. The last three characters should be -80G, the '80' being the year and the 'G' the month of build.