Hunter 34 Refit, Cabin sole, Compression post and more

Jan 28, 2017
Hunter 34 Halifax
Hello everyone. My names Chad. My wife Katie and I are refitting our newly acquired 1983 Hunter 34. The hull is in good shape but it's been on the hard for a few years and the cabin sole is rotten. and I can see the cabin is starting to crush into the compression post.

Currently we are ripping up the sole, and will be replacing any wiring under the floor. We will be cutting plywood and sealing it with epoxy or something... and then using some type up synthetic flooring most likely from Home Depot.

I'd like to tackle the false bilge issue. but currently the bilge is a block of ice due to our below freezing winters here in Halifax.

And if it interests you. You can follow along on out YouTube channel. We try to post weekly videos.

If you have any insight and experiences . We'd love to hear it.
-Chad

Attachments

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
HEY ! Welcome to the gang.. Lots of great H-34 info here.. use the "search" function.. and the "downloads" and "Owner mods".. https://hunter.sailboatowners.com/mods.php?task=model&mid=31&mn=34. The compression post, a clean-out port in the fuel tank, and maybe a small step on the engine box top-to-companionway..new fixed ports and sealing.. .. It is all fun and makes the boat easier to live with ! Again, Welcome Chad and Katie.

Jan 28, 2017
Hunter 34 Halifax
Thanks kloudie1. I've been lurking in these forums for months and months now. Ever since we first looked at this hunter 34. It took the previous owner about 4 months to accept our low offer. :)
I'm thinking of adding a clean out port to our fresh water tank too....

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
Welcome aboard Chad & Katie,

I recently joined also.
I have the exact same boat. 1983 Hunter 34, I'm am the original owner. Actually watched the boat being built in Florida and then shipped to New Jersey where it has remained the past 34 years. Not to many of us original owners left. Courious what you hull number is.

My boat is one of the few hurricane Sandy survivors, lots of damage that had to be repaired. I basically had to rebuild my boat from the keel up. So I can relate to all the work and projects ahead. Sometime you will ask yourselves what were you thinking when you bought this boat. It really is worth it!

This Hunter 34 is one of the best boat they made, and in some ways way ahead of its time from design perspective. You will be hard pressed to find a better boat. That being said there is not any perfect boat out there, all boats have there own pros and cons.

I have sailed lots of boats over the years, I used to teach people how to sail on boats from 10'- 65'.
34 years later I still think this is one of the best I have sailed.

This form is great!
Lots of info and of help available, very knowledgable people, I searched here often during my refit.

Good luck with the refit:)
Keep post your pics and videos.

Jan 28, 2017
Hunter 34 Halifax
Capt Robbie. Well that's great to hear! We're really excited to have gotten this boat, because we are on a very tight budget and it is by far the roomiest boat we'd ever hope to get in the our price range. I read almost every owner review and the only thing that had me slightly concerned was the "tender" aspect. As we are really new to sailing.

We are sort of the second owner. We bought it from a gentlemen who's bother was the original owner. He bought it from his brother 18 years ago. So technically we are the 3rd owners. But he has known the boat from new.

How do I know my production number, I tried to look up HIN information.... But obviously my boat is not Three thousand one hundred and eighty one... lol

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
Chad and Katie,
Seams that you are now the prod owners of a great boat!
This is an awesome boat for new sailors, this boat very easy to handle alone or with a small crew. If it makes you feel any better I have had kids sail my boat ages 8 and up while I sat back and relaxed with no issues at all.
This boat is very forgiving and will take just about anything you through at it. Great choice of boat, experienced or not, you guys are going to love it.

Regards to the tenderness of the boat, this model has an extremely tall rig for this boat size. Something like 51 feet off the water line vs. other thirty footers with a mast height of 40' off the water line with less sail area.

This boat has a lot of sail area and can be overpowered a lot easer in 20 plus knots of wind. This is mostly due to the high aspect mast and the sail area. So in a nut shell you have to shorten sail area and reef early. My rule of thumb is if you are thinking of reeffing then do it.

I have a 130 roller furling Genoa that I reef about 30% and down power my main sail when the wind picks up and the boat rides great. When the wind blows 20-25 then I reef the main sail.
I always reef early, makes everyone on board feel more comfortable. When I sail alone or with experienced sailors I will push the boat harder. The boat is not going to capsize, but new sailors can feel a little intimidated when the boat heels, so if you are feeling a little uncomfortable then ease off the sheets and down power the sails.

You should feel comfortable when you are sailing your boat not stressed out. The boat is a very competitive racer/cruiser however you don't have to sail it as a racer. Fast, Fast boat still can run with the best of them even after 30 plus years.

Just have fun!

The HIN # should be on the transom upper right corner if you are standing on the swim ladder.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
Hi Katie and Chad,

Congratulations on your new(ish) boat. And welcome to the H34 group. Best of luck getting her shipshape. The nice thing is that you can get it done just the way you want. My wife and I have had ours since it was new back in 1985. We have had great adventures together. Claude has given you some great directions where you can pour through the experiences of others. That should help you a lot. I know its helped me tremendously, and I contribute when I can as well.

Fair Winds

Allan

splax

Nov 12, 2012
Hunter 34 Portsmouth
Welcome. Lots of help here. I would advise to add the potable water tubing replacement with PEX as an important modification if not already done, replacing all those compression fittings with shark bite fittings or compression rings if you have access. Replacement of all hoses more than 5 years old is important (fuel fill, exhaust, water heater, raw water, flushing, sanitary, bilge, etc).

Jan 28, 2017
Hunter 34 Halifax
Welcome. Lots of help here. I would advise to add the potable water tubing replacement with PEX as an important modification if not already done, replacing all those compression fittings with shark bite fittings or compression rings if you have access. Replacement of all hoses more than 5 years old is important (fuel fill, exhaust, water heater, raw water, flushing, sanitary, bilge, etc).
Yeah... That's a good idea... I think we will replace all the pressure water lines while the sole is out... That makes good sense. What do you think about the stock water storage tank? My plan is to install a inspection port and scrub it out by hand. Do they have any history of leaking or being bad?

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! Loving the Hunter forum so far!

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 34 Toronto, Ontario Canada
Hey- welcome to the H34 world. Mine is same year ( you should be able to find the hull number on the top starboard side of the stern Should read "HUN34XXX" which is the hull number. Mine is 327.
The boat doesn't look to be in as bad shape as I thought from looking at the video. Lots of wood finishing and repair. You will bave frozen water under the floor for sure. Be careful of carbon monoxide from your heater! The ports look better than mine did when I bought it 14 years ago. probably been replaced? That hw tank looks like a replacement also and yeah- not sure I would trust it. The holding tank for the head looks to be set up only for flushing into the sea- the hose hook up is different than mine. Lots of work but end result is a good boat.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
The water tank on stbd side sometimes cracks along the inboard side .. a pad to brace that side against the settee support keeps it from flexing so much.. A clean out port would be fine in that tank..and a level gauge might be useful.. My tank gets filled from a good municipal system most of the time so it has not been cleaned in its life.. Stern tank stays empty unless going out for a while..

Jan 28, 2017
Hunter 34 Halifax
Thanks for all your insight!
kloudie, thats a good tip about the water tank! I'll make sure to add some material to support the sides.

We've got the boat as far apart as it's going to get. The floors are all out, All the old hoses have been pulled, the mast has been removed. I'm going to pressure test the tanks to 3psi this week to make sure that they don't leak. Especially the black water tank as it was bypassed for some reason in the past.
Image10.jpg
Image1.jpg
Whenever this damn bilge water thaws I'll be doing the false bildge update and installing the new floors. In the meantime I'm working on the compression post, rewiring the mast and replacing all the mast lights with LED lighting.

Here's out latest video update if your interested! **edit

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
.......... Here's out latest video update if your interesting! [MEDIA=youtube said:
azk9iozhYv4[/MEDIA]
Some people think I'm interesting, others not so much. :biggrin: Great video and great progress. All that white stuff seems to slow things down a bit.

Jan 28, 2017
Hunter 34 Halifax
LOL, thanks. Yeah the white stuff and the below freezing temperatures means we don't get to pick out boat days...if we're not working and it's above freezing... we're working on the boat. :D

Edited the "interesting" post... I'm sure your interesting to it applies .. ;)

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
Ha, both of you are doing an amazing job so far.
It's great that you are documenting your restoration.

I kind of wish that I did that after hurricane Sandy took its toll on my h34. Unfortunately I was to distraught over the damage to care to document anything other then insurance photos

You made a comment about the stuff on your spreaders.
The previous owners put that stuff on them as a home made spreader boot. To the best of my knowledge nobody makes a boot that fits this rig. Therefore we all have to make something to cover them so the sails don't chaff.

I fabricated boots out of 2 pieces hot water pipe insulation used for t- connections and then covered with white flexible rescue tape. Same stuff in the as seen on tv infomercials. Works great!

You mentioned that you were rewiring you mast.
I am not sure what mast is on you boat?
If it is by Kenyon most of the B&R rigs have a removable sail track extrusion. After you remove the booms gooseneck hardware.
The entire sail track slides out. This will give access to all the wires within the mast. This make for real easy wiring.

Hope this info is helpful.

Again keep up the good work, boats looks like it's coming along great.

splax

Nov 12, 2012
Hunter 34 Portsmouth
that is a great tip about the mast sail track. I have been avoiding the mast wiring issues but will have to tackle them this year

Jan 28, 2017
Hunter 34 Halifax
Yes I believe it is a Kenyon I'll have to take a look, I was just going to cut the wires at the top and tape them to the old wires and drag them through... Still may to that. When I tore off the old spreader anti chafe material is appears to be leather with fur on one side... possible rabbit skins??! I have no idea, but it all came off and I guess I'll be designing something up to replace them.

One other question that comes to mind is. Are the spreaders supposed to be have some wiggle to them? The bolts are secure, but the spreaders can be slid side to side a little bit. Nothing alarming. Should I tighten the bolts up to stop them from moving? or are they meant to move by design?

Also any tips on what I should touch up the mast paint with? there are a few spots the anodize has worn off.. and now seems like a good time to deal with that. plan to paint it white again so if it does chip a bit it won't stand out.

Today I was cleaning up the mast step, and getting ready to make a compression post replacement.
Also I found a block that the ball bearings had self destructed so i took it apart and bought some new bearings for $8.00 at the local boat store. IMG_20170328_161118.jpg block harken.jpg

Thanks again for all your help.

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
Chad and Katie,
I replaced all my standing rigging last year and had to remove one of the spreaders to get one of the pins out. I don't recall having any wiggle/play in them. I don't think they should move at all, maybe the bolts could be loose. I would tighten them.

I painted the entire mast while it was down. Lightly sanded the entire mast, then used a primer called zinc chromate on the bare spots. Wiped everything down three times with solvent and painted with interlux bright sides wht paint. Looks like it just came out of the factory. Should last another 35 years.