Help!! Did I make a huge mistake?

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
I am no epoxy expert (about to undertake my FIRST epoxy project) but I paid a little more for the WEST #207 Special Clear Hardener. It does not develop the amine blush, thereby saving me the sanding steps that I would have had in order to remove that blush with the other hardeners. According to the folks at WEST, it also can be "hot coated" after a fairly substantial delay, which was important to me, but may not matter in your case.
I think in the humid environment of FL, the special clear is a good choice, but its REALLY expensive. Any epoxy/hardener combo can be hot coated. My test is that epoxy is dry to the touch but still 'soft' enough to press my fingernail in and make a slight depression. It takes an over-night cure for any epoxy to form the amine blush on the surface, but I would advise you that ANY epoxy/hardener combo that is allowed to cure overnight should be sanded for a good mechanical bond before coating again.
Special clear WEST hardener is popular with wood boat owners who coat their exterior hardwoods (brightwork) with epoxy prior to using UV protectant Varnishes. This fully seals the wood for 100% watertight seal and creates a faster build up to create that 'liquid glass' effect that would normally take about 20 coats of varnish to accomplish. As a comparison, if you were to use the 205 Fast hardener the epoxy will cure with a slightly orange tint. I actually prefer this on exterior teak, but some yacht snobs might loose their minds (although I'm 100% no one would ever notice, it takes a very thick application to build up that orange hue).
I just don't use the Special Clear because the benefit does not justify the extra cost. Generally speaking I use the FAST hardener on 90% of jobs, even in the dry heat of San Diego. If I were doing an extensive repair over a larger area or working in direct sunlight because it was impossible to avoid, I'd use SLOW hardener... also slow on multiple lay-ups of fiberglass cloth but I don't build many new boats, LOL. The only time I'd use Special Clear is if someone insisted on perfection for exterior brightwork of a classic yacht, and of course THEY are paying for it! BTW, I like Aero Marine epoxy for that job anyway and also for multiple laminate lay-ups.... because its HALF the price of WEST epoxy and made locally here in San Diego!

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
clouddiver, thanks for that very helpful info. My project is indeed interior wood. The WEST folks told me to use your thumbnail test as well. I will investigate Aero Marine if I lose my access to my discount at WM. Does Aero Marine also have pumps to make mixing ratios easy?

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
I
Special clear WEST hardener is popular with wood boat owners ... As a comparison, if you were to use the 205 Fast hardener the epoxy will cure with a slightly orange tint. /QUOTE]
Roger that-- the benefit to clear is really the lack of that orange tint. No issue whatsoever in my opinion over brightwork, but if you were glassing up a surfboard for example, the coloration would be worth paying extra for. Fast or Slow hardener should accommodate quite nicely.

Sep 8, 2014
clouddiver, thanks for that very helpful info. My project is indeed interior wood. The WEST folks told me to use your thumbnail test as well. I will investigate Aero Marine if I lose my access to my discount at WM. Does Aero Marine also have pumps to make mixing ratios easy?
Yes, they sell mini-pumps with their gallon kits. They have quart kits but I'm not sure that the small kit comes with mini pumps. The 300/21 epoxy kit is what you would want, and a quart kit might be plenty to do the job. Even if it is interior woodwork, you still want to sand they epoxy and apply a UV varnish like Epiphanes. Epoxy will yellow, even indoors, it just takes longer.

May 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Toronto
Thank you again, that is great step by step instructions. I really appreciate it.

I'll be going to get the epoxy tomorrow.

Now for he bottom of the boat. I want to paint it before reinstalling the keel. I have no idea what paint is on the bottom now. I wouldn't be too surprised if the lady I bought it off used rustolium lol. Do I need to get it right down to gel coat and re-seal everything with a bottom paint? Or can I just sand some of it and use anti fouling paint?

In this pic you can see whatever paint is on the boat is getting peeled off by the water running out of the drains. The bottom of the boat where the water drips to is also coming off.
image.jpeg

Also, is this osmosis? It looks pretty high up for that. It's near the back of the boat only on one side.
image.jpeg

May 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Toronto
Here are the parts I'm going to order. I might not get the centering kit and make my own but not sure yet. It might just be easier to buy it.

image.png

Let me know if there is anything I missed.

I will buy the keel bolts from a local industrial supply store.

Sep 8, 2014
On the second pic, yes, that is a very minor case of osmotic blisters. They are very small because the water molecules are only trapped in between the gelcoat layer and on top of the fiberglass so they make those tiny bumps. Kind of like a rash or little pimples. If the water molecules were trapped deeper in the fiberglass itself the bumps would be bigger, anywhere from the size of a dime to a nickel. The bad ones (if there were any) would have a nasty sticky goo in them that would have a chemical smell if you popped them and drained them with a knife.
So what you have is very minor and really just an eye-sore. The fix isn't very hard and the job could wait until the winter or another spring. All you would have to do is lightly sand off the tops of the bumps so they all look like the ones that show blue where the outer gelcoat popped off. Clean with acetone and the use a putty knife to apply some gelcoat paste (from Spectrum Color website, $25 for 2oz jar color matched white for Catalina). You'd sand the cured gelcoat smooth (gently) with 120, then 220, then 320 wet, 400 wet, 600 wet. Then polish with rubbing compound. It will look brand new. If you have a DA sander you could do the entire hull with the 400 and 600 grit wet and buff the whole thing... Seriously, the boat will look brand new.
Like I said, that project can wait... some people wouldn't bother with it at all.

Sep 8, 2014
For the parts, everything is good except you do not need the keel zinc kit... waste of money. Also like you said, you don't really need the centering/spacer kit. You can make your own spacers if you have some spare fiberglass cloth scraps and some epoxy. Do get all the other parts. The bolts you need are 5/16" x 1.25 inch and lock washers.

Sep 8, 2014
Because your boat's old home port was Hampton, VA I am assuming (pretty easy) it was already in salt water. I am pretty certain just looking at the color and condition of the paint that is on the boat it already has anti-foul bottom paint. It would be helpful to know what brand and type of antifoul paint was used before. If you have any contact with the previous owner I would email them and ask if they know.
You do not need to sand all of the paint off down to the gelcoat. That would only be necessary if you cannot be sure what kind of paint is on there now and you really want to use an Epoxy Barrier Coat (this is a paint, not straight epoxy resin). If you wanted to do a fresh barrier coat (which is a good idea) you would have to sand all the old paint off, apply the new barrier coat and then new antifoul paint would go over it. Otherwise, you really could just sand what is on there as smooth as possible with 80 grit but you do not have to take it all off, just even it out and prep for new paint. Many anti-foul paints can be painted over the top of old coatings, but be careful, some don't work well when doing that. The major brands of anti-foul paints will have charts that tell you what types of anti-foul can be painted over the tops of others, that's why it is helpful to know what is on there now.
If you are in Toronto I am assuming you will be sailing in fresh water, Lake Ontario. This will effect what type of paint you choose. Also, will you launch from the trailer every time or keep it in a slip at a marina? If you are trailer launching your boat for every sail (called dry sailing) you don't need anti-foul paint at all.

May 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Toronto
Ok great, I'm glad the osmosis is mostly cosmetic.

The only reason I was buying the zinc anode is because i think there was one in it and that means a hole through the keel?

I doubt the previous owner put the paint on the bottom of its anti fouling. She basically said that she bought the boat and on first launch the keel cable broke. She used it for the season and took it out by using the yellow rope to tie up the keel. She said after that she parked it there and it sat there since. Some of the parts were removed for other projects like the ropes and some of the latches etc.

It will be moored on a ball in a harbour so not on and off the trailer.

I am going to try to get what's on the bottom of the boat off. We'll see how that goes, it might be too big a job for me this year. It would probably be a good idea to get a new barrier coat on there. If I use 50 grit on the DA sander is that too rough?

I am looking into sand blasting now. I would have to rent all the equipment and I think it might be cheaper to get someone else to do it.

I'm also going to get the trailer wire brushed and rust painted. Also going to replace the bunks with new pressure treated and carpet. I'm not going to sort out the bakes or anything else right now. Are there supposed to be shims under the bunks? I think there were some but there was so much rust I couldn't tell what size.

Thanks again. This site is probably the best tool I have for this job.

Sep 8, 2014
People think a Zinc will protect the cast-iron keel. The only thing it really does it make a hole in the cast iron that will eventually allow water inside and cause rust. The best way to protect a keel is to properly seal it in epoxy. If you keep the water off of it (epoxy is actually fully waterproof where polyester resin is not), then gala corrosion cannot occur. There have been many discussions throw back and forth about this topic, but I will leave it at this; just about every member here who has done a full epoxy keel restoration has opted not to drill a hole into the keel they just sealed with epoxy. Also, there is a type of zinc you can buy that has a long wire attached to it with a gator clamp. You can clamp it to the keel winch cable on the inside and throw the zinc over the side... this is about the cheapest option you can can go with that 'might' protect the exposed metals.

Sep 8, 2014
For the paint... If you are 100% sure that blue stuff is not anti-foul paint, you don't really need to sand it all off. Yes, 50 grit on a DA will take it off, but if really isn't antifoul bottom paint, just use 80 grit to remove any loose stuff, smooth it out real nice, and clean/scuff it... no need to take it off completely. Then you can roll on your barrier coat over it. FYI, it takes a full two gallons of Interlux Interprotect 2000 epoxy barrier coat to fully apply two coats to the hull bottom, keel, and rudder below the water line. Don't cheap out. Also, wait until the keel is done and ready for paint before you start; the epoxy barrier coat is a two part system (you mix the catalyst with the base), and you only have 5 hours to use it all up. You have to be ready.

Sep 8, 2014
Yes... You could rent sand blasting gear, but that along with buying the blast media will end up costing you more than just having a yard do it. Most of us have paid and average of $120 US to have it professionally done. If anyone tries to charge you more than that, go somewhere else. You don't need to go to a 'Marine' yard... there are plenty of industrial services that do sandblasting. My local yard is actually a Powder Coater, they do top notch work at a fair price.

Sep 8, 2014
I would worry more about the boat and less about the trailer. Replacing the bunks with pressure treated is not expensive, an easy job, and a good idea. The shims that may have been there would only be needed to add height where necessary to get the proper curve to follow the hull shape. Not a hard thing to figure out if need to do that. As far as refinishing the trailer, especially paying some one else to do it... Unless the rust is so bad the trailer is ready to crack its not your biggest concern. The amount of money you spend on it... might as well just buy a used trailer in better shape, a galvanized one. Worst case, it will probably be cheaper and way less of a headache to just have it sandblasted and sprayed with an epoxy primer. My yard would probably charge around $600 to do that. Keep in mind, if you are going to keep your boat on a mooring all season (which is a great idea to avoid rigging every trip out), then you only have to launch and recover a couple times a year.

May 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Toronto
Thanks again CloudDiver,

Bottom of the boat:
I'm going to try to sand it all off but it depends how difficult it ends up being. The lady I bought the boat from has no idea what's on it, I called her.

For sand blasting:
I found a local guy that I'm going to check out. There is also this new thing called Eco-blasting. It uses water mixed with soda and rust inhibitor. I am concerned how the epoxy would react to the rust inhibitor.

Trailer:
Right now I'm just going to wire brush it with a drill and get as much paint and rust off as possible and coat it with tremclad/rustolium. It's perfectly solid, I would have liked to get at some of the rust between the frame and the suspension rails but I don't think I'll bother right now. I've already bought the boards for the bunks and some stainless hardware to attach them.
More concerned with brakes.
I'd like electric but for marine use they recommend hydraulic. I don't like hydraulic because things stop working if you don't use it regularly.
Anyways, paint first, brakes later.

May 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Toronto
According to the Interlux interprotect 2000 product data sheet the way to know how much paint you will need to cover the wetted area of the boat is to use this formula:

LOA x Beam x .85 = the wet part of the boat

Now divide by 60 if using a brush or roller to get the number of gallons.

21.5 x 7.667 x .85 = 140.114 / 60 = 2.335 gallons.

CloudDiver was right in the money.

It says that should be done over 4-5 coats though.

Sep 8, 2014
According to the Interlux interprotect 2000 product data sheet the way to know how much paint you will need to cover the wetted area of the boat is to use this formula:

LOA x Beam x .85 = the wet part of the boat

Now divide by 60 if using a brush or roller to get the number of gallons.

21.5 x 7.667 x .85 = 140.114 / 60 = 2.335 gallons.

CloudDiver was right in the money.

It says that should be done over 4-5 coats though.
I used a fine foam roller at first... this resulted in 4 coats just on the first gallon, very THIN coats. After that I used a 1/4" nap roller on the second gallon and it went down in two coats. 1/4" nap is the way to go, 3/8" nap would be too rough (orange peel). Also, the epoxy paint makes the fine foam rollers begin to fall apart.

May 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Toronto
I just have a few questions on how to deal with the stands and the area under them.

Should I sand the entire boat, then move the stands and sand under the stands? Move them back and paint all coats and let it dry before moving the stands and painting the spots user them?

How long do I let it dry for before moving the stands? And supporting the boat on the freshly painted surface?

also what is the best way to properly measure the 2 parts of the paint? I was thinking of dollar store measuring cups?

Sep 8, 2014
For measuring the paint (the 2 part Interlux barrier coat)... you don't have to. The gallon can is 3/4 full and the catalyst comes in a separate pint can, you just pour the whole thing in and stir the gallon. You have 5 hours to work with it. On a warm day you can put on a coat and in only one hour apply another coat, this is called "hot coating". Because it is an epoxy based paint each coat will chemically bond to the last coat, as long as you don't wait overnight between coats.
When you take the boat off of the trailer and put it on stands the rear stands should be placed at the strongest part of the stern which is right next to the transom. the forward stands will be far enough forward that you will be able to paint the entire middle section of the boat where it normally sits on the trailer bunks. Paint the area you have access to with the first gallon, this should be about 2/3 of the entire bottom. With a 1/4" nap roller you should get at least 3 coats, but you might get 4, waiting just one hour or so between coats. Let that cure overnight or a couple days is even better. When that is done you can place the boat back on the trailer. For the second gallon, have your keel and rudder ready to paint also. The area on the stern and near the bow will be a smaller area so you won't need the whole gallon, so for each coat as paint the rudder and keel. You maybe only need two coats on the rudder, just make sure you get the full three or four coats on the keel and the rest of the hull the same as you did with the first gallon.
The bottom paint (anti-foul paint) is not a 2 part paint. Repeat the above process but you don't have to worry about mixing paint and using it in a certain amount of time. You can also use a 1/4" nap roller and you should get a minimum of two coats on the hull, keel, and rudder. Depending on the type of anti-foul paint you choose you will probably only need one gallon. I used Interlux CF (copper free) and it was much thinner than the barrier coat and goes much further. In general, follow the application instructions because there are many different formulas of anti-foul paint.

May 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Toronto
Ok thanks for the tips. Working on the trailer first.

Before:
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

After most of the sanding but before wire brushing:
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

After primer:
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

It dried about 4-6 hrs and then it started raining. Hope it works out ok. Next Silver and black paint after a couple days to dry out from the rain