First time sailboat owner

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
I almost banged the stern straight into one of the pilings due to getting confused on the helm.
If you are reversing into your slip, it's best to stand in front of the helm and look over the stern (the direction the boat is moving). Much less chance for getting confused. Don't ask how I learned this! :beer:

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I almost banged the stern straight into one of the pilings due to getting confused on the helm.
Not to worry. It happens. Like learning to ride a bike. You should see what Navy small boats look like as sailors learn to handle small boats. Confusion is part of the process. Kappy is spot on with his guidance.

Before you know it you’ll be handling the boat like a professional.

Then you must encourage your spouse (the Admiral) to take the wheel and you are the crew. That will be a real fun day. The feeling of letting a daughter get behind the wheel of your car for the first time. :yikes: On steroids.

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
By confused, do you mean which way to steer? During my charters I found it very useful to stand ahead of the wheel, facing the stern when backing. That way the wheel is turned in the natural direction - to your right to steer stern rightwards (to port) for example. The shift/throttle action is more natural too, if you have a single lever control. That is, you pull the lever toward you to slow down or stop.

Oct 26, 2022
Hunter Passage 42 Cape Marina
If you are reversing into your slip, it's best to stand in front of the helm and look over the stern (the direction the boat is moving). Much less chance for getting confused. Don't ask how I learned this! :beer:
Great idea, Thank you.

Oct 26, 2022
By confused, do you mean which way to steer? During my charters I found it very useful to stand ahead of the wheel, facing the stern when backing. That way the wheel is turned in the natural direction - to your right to steer stern rightwards (to port) for example. The shift/throttle action is more natural too, if you have a single lever control. That is, you pull the lever toward you to slow down or stop.
Yes, I turned the wrong direction in my confusion. Kind of embarrassing to admit but I know that if I am honest and upfront about my mistakes people like are on this forum will be able to help me improve. Thank you.

Oct 26, 2022
Not to worry. It happens. Like learning to ride a bike. You should see what Navy small boats look like as sailors learn to handle small boats. Confusion is part of the process. Kappy is spot on with his guidance.

Before you know it you’ll be handling the boat like a professional.

Then you must encourage your spouse (the Admiral) to take the wheel and you are the crew. That will be a real fun day. The feeling of letting a daughter get behind the wheel of your car for the first time. :yikes: On steroids.
We are planning on taking off again next Friday after I get home from work and I will be doing some practicing!

Yeah, the Admiral learning to steer the boat would be a HUGE help......hope she loves me a LOT! I would need lots of prayer for that adventure, lol. Mostly to keep my voice down.

Oct 26, 2022
Ok, got another question for ya`ll. My forward head does does have any water running when I press the flush button. I hear the motor running but no water comes out. I do not believe it has worked since we took possession because we had not used it until last week. I have checked the valve (I am pretty sure it is the one next to the macerator) and it is open. I have not checked to see if the through-hull is plugged yet. Is there a common problem that I should look for before proceeding?

My plan is to close the valve, disconnect the hose, put the hose end into a pan of water and trying it again. If it works then I have a plugged up through-hull and if it doesn`t then I either have a plugged hose or something is wrong with the head itself. Is that a reasonable plan of action?

My wife suggested replacing with a composting head. I have read most of the stuff I can find on this site about those and am unsure if that is a good idea. I will hang up and listen. Thanks in advance.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Sometimes the LEDs can be changed from red to white and back…red is good for preserving night vision.…not so great when you are not sailing though.

You might try turning the power switch on and off twice in quick succession and see if the lights change color.

In my old O’Day 322 salon lights, some of the fixtures have a second socket for a small red bulb, these are in the head, galley and over the nav station. All the rest are just single bulb fixtures.

If you need to change them, lots of options on Amazon, or a quality LED store like MarineBeam. And the SBO store may carry something that fits those fixtures.

Greg

• Helpful
Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
next question is what is this used for? I suspect sewing something.
It is called a Speedy Stitcher…allows you to repair stitching in canvas, Sunbrella, etc.

I have 2 and always keep one on the boat. It doesn’t make a pretty stitch, and it is very slow, but it can save the day if something tears.

Takes some practice to use it… you should practice some before you actually need to stitch something :)

Greg

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
My plan is to close the valve, disconnect the hose, put the hose end into a pan of water and trying it again. If it works then I have a plugged up through-hull and if it doesn`t then I either have a plugged hose or something is wrong with the head itself. Is that a reasonable plan of action?
Both of our original 1991 Jabsco electric macerator toilets work great, albeit a bit noisy. If your forward head still has the original pump, they're pretty bullet proof. When you fill the bowl with water, does the pump empty the contents into the holding tank? If so, likely a blockage between the through hull and the pump. If it were me, I would disconnect the sea water hose at the toilet, connect a city water hose using an adapter, open the through hull and turn on the city water hose. The city water pressure should clear any blockage (we had that problem several years ago when a fish clogged the aft cabin through hull and died; what a stink. That is how I cleared our sea water line). Once clear, reconnect the sea water hose, pour a gallon of water in to the bowl and try flushing again. It should bring sea water into the bowl. If not, come back to us again for further trouble shooting.

The Jabsco pumps on our boat consist of a sealed motor with a metal impeller and a metal macerator blade on the end that slides into the base of the bowl. If the above steps still do not work, it may be time to remove the motor from the toilet and disassemble and inspect for any loose or damaged parts. It could be that the motor is running, but the impeller and macerator blades are just spinning on the motor shaft, thus unable to prime. If the pump empties the bowl, as I mentioned above, likely that is not the problem. I've never removed the forward head motor, but the aft head I have. That is another story.

Keep in mind, the sea water hose that connects to the toilet is pretty close to the waterline, so wait until you have the city water hose hooked up before opening the through hull valve. On our heads, it does take several seconds of running before the pump brings sea water into the bowl.

P.S. As mentioned by other posters, that is a sewing awl. I've used mine several times over the years. Very handy for small projects. Most of the time I use a waxed nylon twine for sewing canvas and other heavy materials. Regular polyester thread works great for clothing, etc. For those projects, pick up a sewing machine needle, which will fit into the awl chuck. Calling it a Speedy Stitcher is sort of an oxymoron, IMHO.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2022
Thanks for the replies. I will have to practice with the stitcher......maybe.

Took the hose off the through-hull for the front head and it was full of gunk. I stuck a water hose in the end of the hose and had the wife cycle the head several times until we had clean water. Then I VERY carefully opened the valve on the through-hull and ran water until it was clean (just a few seconds). Seems to be working now.

Oct 26, 2022
Next question(s): What is the best procedure for removing the old lettering from the sides and back of the boat. The current lettering appears to be vinyl. We are changing the name. Also, is it required to put a port name on the rear?

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
Next question(s): What is the best procedure for removing the old lettering from the sides and back of the boat. The current lettering appears to be vinyl. We are changing the name. Also, is it required to put a port name on the rear?
I used a heat gun on mine, which helped, and then wiped with acetone repeatedly. I think 3M makes some type of hand drill tool with a foam or plastic wheel that acts like an eraser, but never tried it.