First time sailboat owner

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Next question(s): What is the best procedure for removing the old lettering from the sides and back of the boat. The current lettering appears to be vinyl. We are changing the name. Also, is it required to put a port name on the rear?
Heat gun helps, and a plastic scraper.

I used a straight razor blade and carefully scraped off the old lettering. Have to be careful not to dig into the gel coat though…ask me know I know. :mad:

Greg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
:plus:
I used a heat gun on the lowest setting. It is easy to scorch the gelcoat. A hair dryer also works. Take your time.
Haste makes waste.

The problem is when the letters have been there for a while they leave a shadow outline. Takes time and buffing or a new paint job to make it go away.

@kappykaplan asks a good question. If the boat is "Documented with the CG" they are expecting to see that name on the boat should they do an inspection/boarding.

A new Name means a Naming Ceremony.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Warm & peel. Solvents. Hopefully it's not that long of a name.
I've lost track of rules regarding port of origin. It's mostly curtesy now, I think. The gov'mint mostly goes by the stickers on the bow.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Not to be argumentative but how would the authorities know if a vessel is documented before an encounter.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Requirements and guidelines for name and hailing port placement for Documented vessels are at:

Not to be argumentative but how would the authorities know if a vessel is documented before an encounter.
The lack of state numbers would be a good indicator.

Oct 22, 2014
As I stated, if the boat is boarded for safety inspection (that’s what the call it) the CH requires the Captain to produce the boats documents. They can be state title/certification or documentation on a CG documented boat.

Failure will earn the skipper a citation.

The boat name must match the boat documentation.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
During our recent CG inspection of our documented vessel, the officers pulled along side and asked for our papers before boarding. Once they were satisfied that our papers were in order, they asked to board our vessel for the rest of the inspection. Once they completed their tasks, they gave us an inspection document that stated no action required. Very cordial and professional.

An anecdotal CG inspection of an undocumented vessel, but State registered, where action was required, the vessel was seized and towed to the nearest duty station, whereupon the skipper was instructed to correct the unsatisfactory condition [expired fire extinguisher(s)] before being released.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Oct 22, 2014
Sounds like a call to check the dates on all safety gear.
Fire Extinguishers.
PFD’s. Etc.

Oct 26, 2022
Hunter Passage 42 Cape Marina
Okay, got a new question for ya'll. We had a rip in our main sail so we pulled it down and fixed it. Now I am unsure as to how I am supposed to get the luff cord into the furler. Shouldn't there be a wider portion of the channel where I introduce the cord?

Attachments

Oct 22, 2014
Is that where you pulled the sail out of the furler? If so that is where it goes back in.

Just for grins, have you checked the furler to see if the other side has a slot?

If that is the opening, then take the hoist slow so you can hand feed the sail into the slot.

Oct 26, 2022
I did check the other side :D. The problem I had was that when I finally got the main completely unfurled; the luff cord was not in the slot or it pulled out when I unfurled it. The cord looks to be in good shape so I suspect that someone got it furled without pulling it in the slot but am not sure.

• Wow
Oct 22, 2014
I did not know that was possible.
And the luff tape is in good condition?

Does the luff tape look to be the correct size? It will fit into the slot?

Oct 22, 2014
The image you posted looks to be at the base of the mast. Is yours a Selden mast?

Oct 26, 2022
Also, a heat gun on lowest setting; very lightly applied works pretty good on getting the old lettering off. I applied the heat very moderately and then used a scraper to gently peel a corner up far eno6so that I could grab it with my fingers. Then I gently pulled the vinyl while applying a little heat. I quickly learned that if I applied too much heat the vinyl would start to melt and it didn't take much. So patience is the key.