First time sailboat owner

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
lol, yes it is, thank you. The survey report indicates a small leak. The surveyor recommends attempting to tighten first.
You may not be catching on to what the sages in here are trying to say to you. Stopping the leak by tightening a hose clamp or whatever, if possible, does not tell you the serviceable condition of the unit going forward. It’s not supposed to be leaking, i.e., dripless. The best course is to find out why it is leaking, etc., IMHO. You might not want to unexpectedly find this out miles from shore/safe harbor.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
If the leak is at the seal face, then you will need to compress the billows. IF you do get some new set screws before you begin the project.

The set screws are a one time use. Replace when you change the collar position.

Oct 26, 2022
Hunter Passage 42 Cape Marina
You may not be catching on to what the sages in here are trying to say to you. Stopping the leak by tightening a hose clamp or whatever, if possible, does not tell you the serviceable condition of the unit going forward. It’s not supposed to be leaking, i.e., dripless. The best course is to find out why it is leaking, etc., IMHO. You might not want to unexpectedly find this out miles from shore/safe harbor.
Point taken.

Oct 26, 2022
If the leak is at the seal face, then you will need to compress the billows. IF you do get some new set screws before you begin the project.

The set screws are a one time use. Replace when you change the collar position.
From my research and what the surveyor indicated: You can move the stainless steel collar a little closer to the bellows to improve the tension between the stainless collar and the graphite collar. As long as the bellows are in good condition. And definitely replace the setscrews. Basically what you said.

Oct 26, 2022
I will do so. We signed the acceptance papers last night. Now we just have to get the paperwork for closing done. Any idea how long it would take to sail from Fort Pierce, FL to Port Canaveral, FL? I am figuring 8-9 hrs. if I can average 6 knots.

Oct 22, 2014
Roughly 60nm.
I’d allow at least 12 hours to such a trip. It is winter. You are likely to experience weather issues. There is a time factor to getting in and out of the marina and canals. You may experience visibility issues either entering or leaving port.

I would not want to take a boat unknown to me into or out of a port unknown to me in the dark unless forced.

You use the “First time sailboat owner” title with 18 years of lake sailing Racing experience. If you had stated ocean racing that would be a different background and more prepared for sailing in ocean conditions.

To make the shorter daylight hours more manageable I’d plan the delivery as a two day cruise. Give you time to get to know the boat. All her quirks and sounds.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
When you are closer to your first sail...

Any idea how long it would take to sail from Fort Pierce, FL to Port Canaveral, FL? I am figuring 8-9 hrs. if I can average 6 knots.
Both @jssailem and I are the featured contributors on this forum

Weather and Forecasting

We would love to help map your first sailing adventure so others can see your progress.

One the best APPs to use is

Windy as forecasted

Jim...

Oct 22, 2014
As James has linked for you, Windy offers a lot of weather information to help the sailor reduce the risks of open ocean and Coastal sailing.

Here is an image of your proposed/planned trip. With a weather brief along the bottom for a day this week.
FB21B567-CBF4-43E1-943E-70AF45167C01.jpeg

The chart was configured for a 6knot passage speed. The gold brackets along the top of the time line indicate the day separated to account for the 10 hours of cruise time. The bottom 1/3 strip of the screen indicates the conditions along the trip.
  • Wind direction.
  • Wind speed.
  • Cloud cover.
  • Waves and temperature

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Isn’t this a trip up the ICW? Although that’s a fairly well-sheltered path if chosen, might there may be a bridge height/tides/opening schedule to consider? Mast height of the H42 Passage is 60.25 ft above the designed water line (DWL) not counting what instrumentation there might be atop it. The Wabbaso bridge reports a maximum clearance of 62.3 ft, and so forth.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2022
Thank you guys so much! I am really appreciating the knowledge I am getting here. I have been using the Windy app for about 4 years as a surf fishing guide. Weather permitting we are going to be going the ocean route. It is looking like the 12th and 13th will be our sailing days but if things work out in our favor a week earlier. We have been homeless for a little over a month. I am a firm believer in the axiom that if you ask for advice and don't follow it; it is all on you. And that if you don't know what you are doing; don't argue with those that do.

Oct 26, 2022
From the information that I saw this morning; an open sea trip is going to be rough. 8-9 ft. waves and 20-30 mph wind this weekend and 7-8 ft. waves with about the same wind next weekend. I am not sure those would be good conditions for my first adventure into open ocean sailing. So, I may be bringing it up the ICW. :(

• Wow
Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I wouldn't go outside in those conditions.
Looking at TWC forecast there are number of days with NE wind, which you will want to avoid for the outside route. You will be on a starboard tack but probably will have to tack as you approach shore. If you look at John's Windy screen shot the port tack will be taking you away from your destination. Add hours to the trip. If you get into Gulf Stream waters it will be way worse because of the steep waves which will kill your speed - not to mention stress your gear which you should consider untested.
Prevailing winds here are SE. A nice 18 Kt. breeze on your starboard quarter will make a pleasant trip. If you are in the Gulf Stream in the early hours of the trip it will give you a boost.

Oct 26, 2022
I would like to hear your assessment, John. When you get a chance. I still do not have a definite closing date.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
As a new boater do you know your susceptibility to sea sickness and that of your crew? Attempting to get back inside through one of the barrier island passes in rough conditions, possibly seasick to boot, would not be the work of first-time sailors in a first boat that they have not taken anywhere prior, IMO. You’ll have plenty of time to sail the boat as you gain experience in the future. Treat this as a delivery; so yes, use the ICW. Get her home! It will be more fun for your first mate. Just mind the bridges.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2022
As a new boater do you know your susceptibility to sea sickness and that of your crew? Attempting to get back inside through one of the barrier island passes in rough conditions, possibly seasick to boot, would not be the work of first-time sailors in a first boat that they have not taken anywhere prior, IMO. You’ll have plenty of time to sail the boat as you gain experience in future. Treat this as a delivery; so yes, use the ICW. Get her home! It will be more fun for your first mate. Just mind the bridges.
I agree completely.

Oct 22, 2014
If this is your first ocean adventure, I would be looking for much less drama.

I would want some time with the boat at the location you are starting. At least several day sails. Till you can safely do what is necessary to handle the boat like you handled the race boats you sailed.

Looking at your Windy modeling using the Euro Model, I don't see a lot of improvement tell out near the 10th or 11th. That is looking at a macro picture. That far out is to difficult to call. At the moment and for several days the models indicate you are going to see high seas due to the locations of the two Pressure cells. The High cell over the central east of the US and the two Lows, one in the south mid Atlantic and the other hovering south of Florida in the Caribbean. They are guiding the strong winds you see out of the north running down the coast. Cold winds flowing south hitting the north flowing Gulf stream means big confused seas and nasty weather.

You are looking for a 2-3 day window that gives you winds out of the south west. They will keep the gulf stream peaceful and the give your a nice ride north. That is a challenge during the winter. You need to bide your time yet be ready to go when you see the weather give you a blessing.

If you must go, hire a captain or seek shelter from the seas on the ICW.

Check carefully that your mast will fit all of the bridges or you will reach a point when you will be forced to go out into the ocean. That may not be a good place to turn east and you may be forced to back track.

Oct 26, 2022
We have moved onto Hosanna and found that we still have too much stuff, lol. At least that is an easy problem to fix :) Praying and hoping that Nicole doesn`t present us with too much of a problem.

Oct 22, 2014
Just posted info on TS Nicole on the Weather Forum.

Going to be a wet one.
Suspect if there are leaks you'll get a chance to find them.

Oct 22, 2014
@hatchclan just gave me a call 15:05 EST. He and his wife have left Port Pierce and are heading north along the coast of Florida. He said he looked at Windy and the water off the coast. The conditions looked good.

When they called they were about 2 miles east of Vera Beach. He reported the swell was about 2 ft. Boat and crew handling the swell with no issues. Wind is light and variable so they are motoring at 2300 rpm making 7 knots.

They intend to move the boat as close to the Canaveral Barge Canal as possible this evening. Anchor off shore and make port in the morning. They have a slip in the marina there.

He wished all SBO sailors a thank you for helping with the start of their new cruising life.