First time sailboat owner

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Thanks to some sage advice from jsailem; I found the slot. He told me to look up and there it was! Thank you! Just goes to show you that in all things we should look upwards first.
Another TIP on hooking up the lower shackle on the foot of the sail.

I stuff a paper towel, that can be removed, in side mast, at the base of the furling tube.

Why?

If drop that shackle inside the mast, you can easily retrieve it. ;)

Jim...

PS: If you cant get all the paper towel out, it will dissolve away.:cool:

Oct 26, 2022
Hunter Passage 42 Cape Marina
Ok, new problem and I apologize if it is addressed somewhere else. I broke (dumb mistake) the self-tailing tab on my 2 speed electric Lewmar winch and I am having a problem finding a replacement part. I called Lewmar and got a part # 48000483, any suggestions?

Also, I need to replace a breaker. I will post pictures from my phone in a couple of minutes.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I think these might work. You will need to ID the AMP value of the breaker. These are AC or DC. They are Series A.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
No stock available. Sorry, I should have said that already.
OUCH ! I think that applies to almost everything one could be looking for these days.

All I can suggest is to cast an enquiry across the entire web for any dealer who may have one in stock and go to church regularly, light a candle at the altar on Friday nights, and drop a few pennies in the poor box now and then. Even then, no promises.

• Ha
Oct 26, 2022
Hunter Passage 42 Cape Marina
Ok, I now know how it feels to be in a sailboat when it is struck by lightning. STARTLING!!! Last Sunday evening we were sitting around watching TV and my wife was looking at something on her phone when BOOM! One of the overhead light covers fell off, Wife threw her phone and everything went dark. After a moment to calm my overactive heartbeat.....I got up and started checking things out. The main breaker on the boat tripped so when I reset that the A/Cs and lights came back on. My Xantrex battery monitor was showing 17.5 V......(seemed a little excessive). Short story is we lost our Starlink receiver (router still worked but no internet) and our ProMariner battery charger. Starlink sent us a new unit with no questions and I have another charger ordered. I bought a portable automatic battery charger to maintain the batteries short term. There are quite a few things I have not checked to see if they work but it seems like we got off pretty lucky, Thank God.

• Wow
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
:wow3:
Nothing like a lightning storm to shake one up.
Sure glad to learn all are safe.

Apr 2, 2021
Hunter 38 On the move
Sailor speak for rotating the gland nut an eighth to quarter turn. Small increments till drop rate is achieved.

Adjustments should be made in either half a nut-flat or “one nut-flat” (of the nut) at a time. Adjust in small increments only and not more than one full flat of the nut at a time. (From Marine HowTo site. )
Absolutely worth buying made for purpose packing gland spanners IMHO. In my case at least, made the job much easier the first time as those nuts had not been turned in years and years