Dauphine Island Race

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Can we change the direction of this discussion from blame to storm tactics? What do you do when you see a black frontal line approaching with boiling water underneath?
Having the soul of a power boater the first thing I want to do is get the sails down. Before donning PFD's, putting on rain gear or anything else. While that's happening get an eyeball on nearby boats because you won't be able to see them when it hits.
Others say ....
Years ago we had a spring front come across the Bay as we approached Patuxent River, along the Calvert Cliffs. It ended up spawning not one, but two tornados/water spouts. I was monitoring NOAA weather, but really the sky looked like the end times. So we had plenty of warning. As the storm swept across the bay, I watched it lay down boats. Then we got the characteristic suck - winds were being drawn toward the storm as it sent the air mass to 50k ft. I handed off the helm, went below and grabbed my foulies and a scuba mask while the crew took down the sails (we had no storm sails). Then I sent everyone below, told them to brace everything, dropped in the companion boards, closed/dogged he hatch. I started the motor and pointed at the storm. Within minutes I was riding up 10ft square waves under bare poles and keeping the pointy end into the wind. The wind veered 180 in less than 30 seconds. Within 25 minutes the show was over. We went back to sailing in moderate winds.

sunman

Jul 29, 2009
Mac Mac 26D Suwannee
My prayers go out to the individuals & families of the deceased and missing.

I have read some of the accounts of participants; they experienced 60 knot winds and confused seas. The race began at Fairhope Yacht Club on the eastern shore of Mobile Bay and ends at Dauphin Island, a barrier island on the west side of Mobile Bay, directly on the Gulf coast. This was the 57th year for the race. The race attracts large yachts down to Hobie cats & small day sailors. Mobile Bay is notorious for rough water during storms because of the shallow water depth.

This incident seems to be a scenario that occurs too often. The weather was nice before the race started. A cold front and squalls were predicted to move thru the area later in the afternoon. The course is approximately 25 miles. That weather moved thru my locale (120 miles west of Mobile) on Saturday, mid morning. It wasn't too bad; moderate rain with maybe 25-30 knt winds. It appears that things in Mobile were much worse---perhaps some microbursts as straight line rain and winds hit suddenly.

There are many questions that come to mind. As a boat owner / captain, should you go or should you cancel, especially considering the size of your vessel. Most everyone has smart phones with weather radar apps. Knowing that a front would be moving thru, it would be prudent to monitor the radar images of the approaching front and take the appropriate precautions before it arrived, ie., reef or drop sails or perhaps even anchor as the depths are only about 15 feet. Coast Guard, Mobile had to be announcing the approach of severe squalls, as they usually do. Lets face it, we have all been caught in thunderstorms that we may have been unavoidable; however, everyone should have been aware that this system was coming and rigged for heavy weather or just cancelled from the outset.

I want to emphasize that I am not casting blame of the race organization nor any individual. This was a forecasted weather event that every skipper has to weigh and bear the ultimate responsibility for the boat & crew. Its quite easy to get caught up in the competition, tradition, and fun factor and ignore the risk involved.
Your absolutly correct
truth hurts
but it is the truth and smart ppl. will or should learn from this
everyone knew about the "O" Rings too but they just had to Launch the Space Shuttle, why? cuz everyones here, we cant turn them away

Nils T

Jun 1, 2014
Precision 23 Winter Park, FL
down_shift, thank you for providing the links. I am sad that the young man or any one lost their life.

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
According to Todays Northwest Florida Daily News, reporting on a interview with a participant, the sponsoring Marina called off the race due to the weather forecast. They then reversed that decision a short time later.

One assumes they now regret their decision reversal.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
Race was Never Cancelled

There was an erroneous announcement on the Fairhope Yacht club website that was corrected and the start was delayed to accommodate boats on the western shore who may have delayed their departure to make the race start as a result.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
As for me, I resent, totally resent, that people went out knowing the conditions would deteriorate, and then putting Coast Guard and rescue personnel at risk. Further, they wasted my tax dollars doing something totally stupid.

It should not have happened and yes, the race organizers should have canceled.

If you want to do something stupid, fine by me, have at it. But please post a notice with the Coast Guard stating you don't want them to risk their lives and my tax money mounting a rescue.
After each and every one of these disasters, this BS comes up.

1. The CG doesn't spend a $ more helping people than if they didn't. They are always practicing, and every report I've read, and some from CG personnel themselves (on cruisersforum) state they'd rather be helping than practicing.

2. It's their job!!!:naughty::naughty::naughty:

3. Many other good posts here about the responsibilities of RCs and then of skippers. You simply do not understand those.

4. If you look at it properly, it IS "Your tax dollars at work!" It is part of the job description.

5. PFDs? All our here races state: Wear 'em ALL DURING THE RACE, going TO the race and GOING HOME from the race. While our weather is substantially cooler than the heat down south, and I understand kloudie's point, there are alternatives, like fanny pack PFDs. If a racer here takes it off and another racer sees them do so, they can protest and disqualify the offending boat. It's happened, but not so often, 'cuz we value the Reason FOR THE RULE.

It is appalling that some people still have this Neanderthal mentality about RCs and skippers and the CG. All Intructions to Race include "It's the skipper's responsibility to choose to race or not." Races here include the Bay, the Delta and the ocean.

The Alabama newspaper's analysis of those responsibilities is right on.

The word "blame" shouldn't be used in these kinds of situations, ever. It is simply NOT appropriate.

Nov 24, 2012
After each and every one of these disasters, this BS comes up. 1. The CG doesn't spend a $ more helping people than if they didn't. They are always practicing, and every report I've read, and some from CG personnel themselves (on cruisersforum) state they'd rather be helping than practicing. 2. It's their job!!!:naughty::naughty::naughty: 3. Many other good posts here about the responsibilities of RCs and then of skippers. You simply do not understand those. 4. If you look at it properly, it IS "Your tax dollars at work!" It is part of the job description. 5. PFDs? All our here races state: Wear 'em ALL DURING THE RACE, going TO the race and GOING HOME from the race. While our weather is substantially cooler than the heat down south, and I understand kloudie's point, there are alternatives, like fanny pack PFDs. If a racer here takes it off and another racer sees them do so, they can protest and disqualify the offending boat. It's happened, but not so often, 'cuz we value the Reason FOR THE RULE. It is appalling that some people still have this Neanderthal mentality about RCs and skippers and the CG. All Intructions to Race include "It's the skipper's responsibility to choose to race or not." Races here include the Bay, the Delta and the ocean. The Alabama newspaper's analysis of those responsibilities is right on. The word "blame" shouldn't be used in these kinds of situations, ever. It is simply NOT appropriate.
+1 on Stu's comments!

Sep 27, 2014
Montgomery 17 driveway
By all means, drop the sails or shorten them to handkerchief size, douse the bimini too. Running with it is easier on you and the boat although you will be "in it" for longer. If the seas are breaking and may poop your boat or if your motor isn't up to avoiding a broach (turning sideways and being rolled) you can point the bow into the weather and steer using the motor for thrust and control. Or, as in Mobile Bay, with a good sized anchor and ten to one scope you can anchor if there is time, be sure you put out plenty of scope, and if there is time, slide a smaller anchor down the first anchor rode to improve the holding of the first anchor. Some preemptive chafe protection around the rode where it runs through the bow chock will be easier to install before the winds hit you. Some use a sea anchor and after throwing it over the bow drift back until the sea anchor and your boat are spaced apart to match the space between the waves. This when there is too much water under you to anchor effectively. Some sea anchors are a series of cones, others look like parachutes. Reading up on foul weather tactics before hand will give you a good idea of the best way to stay safe in the waters you will be sailing.

patn44

Oct 3, 2008
Columbia , Catalina, Slipper 8.7 , 22, 17 Dog River, Mobile Bay
The DI

So very right. The captain makes the decision to sail or not. Having done 10 of the DI races in the last 15 yrs I can tell you that I've decided to pull out on more than one because the weather was too much for my boat/me. I've also finished many and I've seen several called because of weather or no wind. The bay is big and shallow. waves and wind such as came up on Saturday overwhelmed the boats. Small boats have small motors and provide little power in such conditions. Large boats have more windage so more problems.

The wind went from 20knts to 60/70 knots in a matter of 15 min. with accompanying rain which resulted in a white out. The racers were at the Mid Bay Light about 3pm when the storm hit. Some still racing south, some returning after they finished. Mid Bay is exactly in the middle of the bay, so no place to shelter, no place to run. I was onshore at my boat and witnessed the boats in slips rocked on 3 foot waves that built in a few min. I did not get off the pier because I was afraid of being blown into the water. Most of the people in the water were picked up by other sailors (our thanks to fellow sailors who risk themselves to save others). I've been told that two people who were wearing PFDs were trapped under water when their boat went over and drowned. I can't confirm this. Several had no time to put on PFDs when the storm caught them.

I've experienced this sort of fast moving violent wind storm in Lake Ponchartrain, in Pensacola Bay, in the Ms sound and on Mobile Bay in the past. You have very little time to prepare and are just fortunate if you survive. My son called me from Bay St. Louis, Ms to tell me that a bad storm was coming our way, so I knew when the wind hit at 3:20 where the racers were and that al the boats out on the bay were in trouble.

ISAF/USsailing RSS

50% of all sailboat races would not happen if the OC/RC tried to factor in all the bad things that COULD happen to any boat. Its why rule 4 has been around in the RRS forever. Every boat/person has to look at all the available data about conditions/etc, their crew/boat capabilities, and make they decision and contingencies.

Its very easy to sit in a chair miles away and make an after-the-fact call about what should have been done. There will be lessons learned, and changes made. But sailing can be dangerous, and they cannot (and SHOULD not) attempt to manage all that risk away.

BayMan

Sep 12, 2012
Hunter 450 Unspecified
I'm with shemandr. The only difference is I wear my pfd at all times so donning mine wouldn't be an issue. I might change to a normal vest instead of inflatable if time permitted, though. I also tend to drop the sails and start the outboard. Just seems easier than figuring out what the heck to do with the sails.
I am astounded that Noone in that video had their pfds on - even after they were well into that storm. I wear mine in 2kts or 20kts. They scrambled for foul weather gear but not pfds. Unbelievable.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I am astounded that Noone in that video had their pfds on - even after they were well into that storm. I wear mine in 2kts or 20kts. They scrambled for foul weather gear but not pfds. Unbelievable.
We're in the minority, BayMan. But just like seatbelts, I don't feel comfortable without it.

Aug 17, 2014
AMF SunFish & Puffer AL
I am a newbie having just bought a Sunfish and Puffer this past summer/fall. But I am local so I figured I would throw this out.

As you'd expect, this has been all over the local news.

It was reported last night that the boat you see in distress in the video did capsize but all 3 were rescued. I don't think this is the same boat mentioned here that was hit, if it was it was not mentioned in the report.

Tonight on the news they interviewed a teenage girl that was on a Hobbie 16. She and a friend were thrown into the DI bridge. She was able to temporarily get back on the boat long enough to make a cell call for help. They hung onto to the bridge till help arrived.

I had an employee on one of the boats- their jib got ripped up and they pulled it down along with the main and threw out an anchor. They came out ok but he said it was scary as s^*%.

About the WX. I checked the WX because I was going out of town to help the GF move. Both Friday & Sat morning, NBC news did warn we could get some nasty stuff and had been saying so for days. But Sat morning, the local affiliate downplayed as nothing but typical thunderstorms. Another station did the same, though not to the same degree.

So I would not be too hard on the organizers as it caught the local weather people off guard as well.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I still wish I could see the radar from that day. It's gotta be archived out there SOMEWHERE.

Sep 27, 2014
Montgomery 17 driveway
Thanks, patn44, for the eye witness report from your location. Does seem that in "survival situations" you can do everything you are supposed to and still not make it out ok. Luck? I like the saying "Luck favors the well prepared". I have been out in storm fronts on Galveston Bay, Tx. that moved at about 30 mph and when you see the wall of wind and rain advancing towards you it is sobering. I dropped the sails on my Flicka 20, lashed all well and started the diesel and slowly plowed towards the advancing front. The micro burst I hit had me covering my nose with my hand so I would not inhale what felt like solid rain. But it was over in a matter of minutes. Which was plenty long enough for me. I did don a pfd before. One other time I came out the other side and was aimed right at a shrimp boat about 50 yards away which was totally invisible in the mircoburst.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Before you get the notion that a PFD is the universal answer to survival you might want to read the after-action report from that Mackinaw race up on L. Michigan a few years ago. Essentially several (believe 2) people died with their inflatable PFD on and deployed, trapped under a capsized boat. There have also been numerous cases of sailors being dragged to their deaths by a tether that they can't/could not release. Clip on to your jacklines, inflate your PFD and jump off a sailboat and you will get the picture. The findings have indicated that PFD's need crotch straps, and tethers need better user-end releases. My informal survey of other sailor's kit indicate that most don't have these recommended upgrades.

Jun 11, 2009
Macgregor 22 Mobile, AL
Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida

Thanks Chuck. That certainly says a lot. One of these days I hope to find the animated loop, but a picture is still worth a thousand words.