Dauphine Island Race

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Oh that's great new cause those are the ones I bought!
;^)

If you bought a deckvest as well you are in for a real treat. Without a doubt, they are the most comfortable inflatable PFDs on the planet. The Deskvest Lite is even more so.. in fact we have one of each; a Deckvest Pro for the big boat and a Lite for the smaller one.

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
;^)

If you bought a deckvest as well you are in for a real treat. Without a doubt, they are the most comfortable inflatable PFDs on the planet. The Deskvest Lite is even more so.. in fact we have one of each; a Deckvest Pro for the big boat and a Lite for the smaller one.
Any comment on this article? http://www.practical-sailor.com/blog/Report-Cites-Problems-with-Spinlock-Deckvests-11226-1.html Perhaps these issues have been addressed? (The article dates to Sept. 2013.)

Nov 8, 2010
Any comment on this article? http://www.practical-sailor.com/blog/Report-Cites-Problems-with-Spinlock-Deckvests-11226-1.html Perhaps these issues have been addressed? (The article dates to Sept. 2013.)
Yes.

As fate would have it, I had a chance to talk at some length with the authors of the UU wreck report for US Sailing. Some of their thoughts; most of which made it into the report.

1) The crash was in a very turbulent surf zone; several survivors said it was akin to being in a washing machine.

2) The board was unable to tell how tight the crotch straps (or other straps for the matter) were on the crew's gear

3) There have been reported incidences of vests of other brands going over the head in rough waters

4) They also noted that neither they, Practical Sailing, or Spinlock could replicate the result when the straps were properly tightened.

It's very telling that deckvest are worn by voluntarily 100% of the VOR and vendee sailors.

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
Catalina 30 San Diego/ Dana Point, Ca.
When researching the Spinlock, the Practical Sailor article was a big part of my decision. From what I read, it just reinforced the fact that this (particularly this one) PFD must fit snug and correctly. Because the inflated bladder is NOT integral to the entire vest, (it is attached at 3 points instead) there is a possibility of getting ones head caught between the vest and the bladder. The best part of the fitting of this vest is the back strap that pulls it down tightly (and comfortably I should add) and the side straps that tighten it around the chest. The crotch straps, or add an attachment and make them thigh straps instead, also should be fitted so it does not ride up in the water. This harness should fit above the floating ribs.

Interestingly, I went to a specialized sailing shop to try on, get info on and ultimately purchase this vest. I assumed that they would know quite a bit about which would be my best choice. Upon looking at me, the medium sized sales guy said I probably would take the size 2 (of 3). I was surprised but thought that maybe the size 1 was more child sized so I went with it. on the chart, I was right between the size 1 and 2. I purchased the vest, took it home and found that a snap was missing so I was able to return it and while doing so I tried on the size 1. THAT was clearly a better fit for me. The 2 was too low on my chest and fit right at my floating ribs.......the #1 was able to be snugged up above them, the side adjustments had plenty of room to adjust and still leaving room for heavy jackets etc. Everything about this vest is comfortable and high quality. I will work with the leg straps so its not an issue in the future. But I will always have things adjusted so its snug and I feel I can do that because of the extremely comfortable design.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Not to make an example of your post, but you don't heave to with your jib. The main is doing most of the work.

Not on my boat. I can heave to with or without a main, but not without a (backwinded) jib.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Not on my boat. I can heave to with or without a main, but not without a (backwinded) jib.
Whatever you are doing, it isn't heaving to. The whole point of heaving to is to slowly fore reach under main, keep your bow upwind and only have enough windage forward to keep you from tacking through the wind. Get it right and you will slow drift downwind, bow just off the wind, wave action flattened by your hull.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
I Seriously Doubt the posibility of Heaving To There & Then

There is an article in our clubs newsletter available on the web.

FWYC.org

Rather than trying to get permission to copy the work I'll just refer y'all to the source. The link to the "Letter Log" is at the top of the left column.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Excellent on-scene report, thanks Rick. I agree, this storm was so fast and ferocious, small boats in a shallow bay; a heave-to would have been marginal. Bare poles and slow motor into the wind would be better.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
How about bare poles and a series drogue (or any other drogue) off the stern.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
If it was that shallow could they have deployed anchors to either stop or at least slow down their drift and keep into the wind?

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
The Boats that Had Issues

The Boats that Had Issues were or were similar to Catalina 22s and Hobie 16s. Many perhaps most were not "serious" racers nor had they actually entered the race they were just out for the multi club sail and the ensuing party.

Jan 10, 2015
. . Pensacola, FL
There is an article in our clubs newsletter available on the web.

FWYC.org

Rather than trying to get permission to copy the work I'll just refer y'all to the source. The link to the "Letter Log" is at the top of the left column.
I asked in a post on another forum if it might be prudent, or a viable plan/option, to have all personnel topside with PFD's on - as miserable as it might be - to avoid the potential of being trapped below in a capsizing/sinking. A responder said it would be better to have 'non essential' people go below with the cabin secured.

Then I read this in the FWYC newsletter:

The Cal 24 the trio were racing on had broached, turtled and sunk. Two other crew members that had gone below to put on their lifejackets had been trapped in the cabin when it sank...and (topside crew) recounted seeing their two fellow crew members float to the surface, lifejackets on, but they were non-responsive with no pulse.

Now, certainly the type and size of the boat, and how well the cabin can be sealed, are important variables. But, I can't help but wonder again if having everyone topside is something to consider.

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
Well, I guess I have been heaving to according to Wikipedia. Don't know what else to call it. Anyway it work quite well and is well worth the effort to discover the requirements your boat needs to achieve it.
Indeed you were.

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
I asked in a post on another forum if it might be prudent, or a viable plan/option, to have all personnel topside with PFD's on - as miserable as it might be - to avoid the potential of being trapped below in a capsizing/sinking. A responder said it would be better to have 'non essential' people go below with the cabin secured.

The Cal 24 the trio were racing on had broached, turtled and sunk. Two other crew members that had gone below to put on their lifejackets had been trapped in the cabin when it sank...and (topside crew) recounted seeing their two fellow crew members float to the surface, lifejackets on, but they were non-responsive with no pulse.

Now, certainly the type and size of the boat, and how well the cabin can be sealed, are important variables. But, I can't help but wonder again if having everyone topside is something to consider.
I would suggest that the law requiring boats under 20 feet to have full flotation should be extended to 26 feet. The reality is, in boats that small, full flotation does not intrude that much on space. Normally boats under 26 feet are only used for short distances, so storage space is not nearly as critical. I have a 24 foot boat with full flotation. Tests have shown that when it is on its side, the boat floats very high in the water, such that water does not get in the hatchway. My understanding is that they tried to sink on once, but the water wanted to dump back out the hatchway, and really would not fill up. There is also floatation in the cockpit backrests to help the boat right its self. From all that floatation, I have to think there would always be air in the cockpit. I really don't think I would want to own a boat without full floatation.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one to google Rob Legg 24 today. Looks like a great boat!

Nov 8, 2010

No. The best answer to all of this is skill and prudent seamanship, with a little luck thrown in.

You simply can't legislate away ALL the inherent risks in sailing, nor should anyone try.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I would suggest that the law requiring boats under 20 feet to have full flotation should be extended to 26 feet. The reality is, in boats that small, full flotation does not intrude that much on space. Normally boats under 26 feet are only used for short distances, so storage space is not nearly as critical. I have a 24 foot boat with full flotation. Tests have shown that when it is on its side, the boat floats very high in the water, such that water does not get in the hatchway. My understanding is that they tried to sink on once, but the water wanted to dump back out the hatchway, and really would not fill up. There is also floatation in the cockpit backrests to help the boat right its self. From all that floatation, I have to think there would always be air in the cockpit. I really don't think I would want to own a boat without full floatation.

Flotation takes up a VAST amount of space.

This picture shows what my boat's PO had packed into every nook and cranny in the cabin, filled all the lockers and screwed down their covers. After spending the better part of a day undoing this idiocy, I did some quick research on the buoyancy of styrofoam.

This amount of foam, right here in this photo, would have been just enough to float my KEEL. Roughly 550 pounds, out of a 2600 pound boat. So figure five times this much to keep the vessel afloat.

ANOTHER example of legislation not being the answer.