Dauphine Island Race

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
Many of you I'm sure heard the news that a severe storm hit along the gulf during a regatta in Alabama this weekend. The news reported one sailor perished, many more were injured, and some are still not accounted for. Many boats were damaged or sunk, including two Catalina-22's. The crew of the one lost C-22 is safe, and we're still waiting for confirmation that the other C-22 crew is also safe.

Keep these mariners in your thoughts and prayers that the worst has already been reported.

It's a sobering wake-up call for all of us that fun time on the water can change very quickly.

Don Boyko, Commodore
C-22 National Association

Nov 19, 2008
Received word that the crew of the second Catalina-22 that was lost in the storm are accounted for and safe.

Don

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
If I had the power, money, and ability of Tony Stark I'd make some kind satellite signal that can be picked up anywhere at sea by any bluetooth/wi fi/cell data or whatever signal to bounce real time doppler radar so any sailor can have that info on whatever screen they have; cell phone, tablet or whatever... And I'd make it free as a safety of navigation issue!

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Deadly Weather for Dauphin Island Race

Just saw this one.. Really tragic Just off Mobile, Alabama.. From NBC News:
Five sailors are still missing after a number of sailboats capsized when a sudden storm hit during a regatta near Mobile Bay, Alabama, Saturday afternoon, leaving at least two people dead, officials said Sunday.

Coast Guard crews scouring the waters found one body on Saturday night and another on Sunday morning after the thunderstorm threw several mariners overboard, said U.S. Coast Guard Capt. Duke Walker. Of the ten boats that capsized or suffered damage, three were participating in one of the races that was part of the Dauphin Island Sailing Regatta, Walker said.

Walker said that 40 people had been rescued from the water after the 4:30 p.m. storm, and the Coast Guard believes five people remained missing Sunday.

"We think we are looking for five additional people in the water but we are still pulling for information," he said.

Dauphin Island Mayor Jeff Collier said he didn't know how many boats were in the water when winds of up to 80 mph rolled in, but he said usually 150 boats compete in the event.

Connor Gaston, who was participating in the race with his father, said his uncle's boat was in front of them. Gaston said their boat didn't capsize, but his uncle's boat did. "He was only a half mile ahead of us, but we couldn't see him when he went over because it was raining so hard," Gaston said.

Gaston said his uncle was rescued and he and his father weren't hurt, but his cousin suffered a serious arm injury.

"The wind picked up super, super fast when the storm was coming through," he said. "It was the most wind I have seen in my life."

The Coast Guard has deployed one patrol boat, four response boats, three helicopter crews and a surveillance aircraft to help local authorities with the search efforts, according to a statement.

SOCIAL

— Elisha Fieldstadt

First published April 26th 2015, 6:08 am

May 11, 2014
Catalina 22 Lake Pleasant, AZ
Hi Don: thank you more the information and the update. Do I understand correctly that two (2) C-22s were sunk, but the crews are safe and accounted for? Sunk?

At the other end of the country, the Newport to Ensenada race is wrapping up, apparently without serious incident this year. There had been fatalities in that race the past year or two. Some of our Arizona Yacht Club members raced this year - although with craft larger than our C-22s.

- Bob

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
My prayers go out to the individuals & families of the deceased and missing.

I have read some of the accounts of participants; they experienced 60 knot winds and confused seas. The race began at Fairhope Yacht Club on the eastern shore of Mobile Bay and ends at Dauphin Island, a barrier island on the west side of Mobile Bay, directly on the Gulf coast. This was the 57th year for the race. The race attracts large yachts down to Hobie cats & small day sailors. Mobile Bay is notorious for rough water during storms because of the shallow water depth.

This incident seems to be a scenario that occurs too often. The weather was nice before the race started. A cold front and squalls were predicted to move thru the area later in the afternoon. The course is approximately 25 miles. That weather moved thru my locale (120 miles west of Mobile) on Saturday, mid morning. It wasn't too bad; moderate rain with maybe 25-30 knt winds. It appears that things in Mobile were much worse---perhaps some microbursts as straight line rain and winds hit suddenly.

There are many questions that come to mind. As a boat owner / captain, should you go or should you cancel, especially considering the size of your vessel. Most everyone has smart phones with weather radar apps. Knowing that a front would be moving thru, it would be prudent to monitor the radar images of the approaching front and take the appropriate precautions before it arrived, ie., reef or drop sails or perhaps even anchor as the depths are only about 15 feet. Coast Guard, Mobile had to be announcing the approach of severe squalls, as they usually do. Lets face it, we have all been caught in thunderstorms that we may have been unavoidable; however, everyone should have been aware that this system was coming and rigged for heavy weather or just cancelled from the outset.

I want to emphasize that I am not casting blame of the race organization nor any individual. This was a forecasted weather event that every skipper has to weigh and bear the ultimate responsibility for the boat & crew. Its quite easy to get caught up in the competition, tradition, and fun factor and ignore the risk involved.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Re: Deadly Weather for Dauphin Island Race

My brother and his son were crewing onboard a Westsail 43 .. they are fine.. They said it was 45 minutes of scary stuff.. The water there is not deeper than 12 feet, so they had some really square waves to deal with.

Nov 19, 2008
Bob,

It's my understanding that C-22 "4G" took a knock-down but the skipper managed to get the boat back up, only to be hit by a larger sailboat, which caused the boat to sink.

As sad as it is for someone to lose their boat, they are just things, the important thing is that all the C-22 crew are fine from both boats. Evidently they are reporting other bodies have been recovered, which doesn't sound good.

Don

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
My brother and his son were crewing onboard a Westsail 43 .. they are fine.. They said it was 45 minutes of scary stuff.. The water there is not deeper than 12 feet, so they had some really square waves to deal with.
Saddened by the loss of life of those sailors but glad your brother and nephew came out OK. I sailed that area in the late 90s and weathered some fierce and sudden storms. Hard too understand how quickly it develops even with all the warnings.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA

Coast Guard as of approximately 12:30 PM (CST) reports two fatalities and 5 missing. Search & rescue still going on. My prayers go out to the families of the deceased and missing. Hopefully more will be safely recovered.

May 11, 2014
Thanks for the update Don. Totally agree - boats are just things, it's all about the people. Sounds like a terrible tragedy, and still unfolding. I'll keep those sailors in my thoughts and prayers.

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
Obviously we still know little about the conditions or circumstances, so speculation accomplishes nothing when trying to figure out how the C22 was struck by another boat... BUT, the thing that sticks out in my mind; First, thankfully the crew is safe but what a cosmic slap in the face to suffer a knock down, then having the seamanship skill to get her upright again only to be sunk by a collision? Talk about shaking a fist at the sky....

Bob,

It's my understanding that C-22 "4G" took a knock-down but the skipper managed to get the boat back up, only to be hit by a larger sailboat, which caused the boat to sink.

As sad as it is for someone to lose their boat, they are just things, the important thing is that all the C-22 crew are fine from both boats. Evidently they are reporting other bodies have been recovered, which doesn't sound good.

Don

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
I live in the FL panhandle, 92 miles east of Mobile Bay. The morning was nice, but thunderstorms were forecast. The radar showed the storms building in the Gulf southwest of Mobile Bay and moving northeast by mid morning. Lighter bands of showers blew through on and off all day. There was a severe thunderstorm watch, that turned into a severe thunderstorm warning from Mobile Bay east through the panhandle. The storms were moving fast, at times as fast as 55 mph, indicating they were rather violent. There were tornado warnings on and off throughout the day. Two bands of storms passed my home in late afternoon.

I had been planning to sail in Choctawhatchee Bay that day, but canceled based on the forecast.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2015
Catalina 22 Cape Cod & Casco Bay
Prayers go out to the families of those who lost a loved one, but we should learn something from this.

Here's the forecast they were looking at:

HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK...UPDATED
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOBILE AL
1135 AM CDT SUN APR 26 2015

GMZ630>635-650-655-670-675-271230-
NORTHERN MOBILE BAY-SOUTHERN MOBILE BAY-MISSISSIPPI SOUND-
PERDIDO BAY-PENSACOLA BAY SYSTEM-CHOCTAWHATCHEE BAY-
COASTAL WATERS FROM PENSACOLA FL TO PASCAGOULA MS OUT 20 NM-
COASTAL WATERS FROM DESTIN TO PENSACOLA FL OUT 20 NM-
WATERS FROM PENSACOLA FL TO PASCAGOULA MS FROM 20 TO 60 NM-
WATERS FROM DESTIN TO PENSACOLA FL FROM 20 TO 60 NM-
1135 AM CDT SUN APR 26 2015

THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR PORTIONS OF THE COASTAL
WATERS OF ALABAMA AND NORTHWEST FLORIDA.

.DAY ONE...TODAY AND TONIGHT

ISOLATED TO SCATTERED THUNDERSTORMS WILL BE CAPABLE OF PRODUCING
STRONG WIND GUSTS...FREQUENT LIGHTNING AND HEAVY RAIN TODAY AND
TONIGHT.

Would YOU have sailed?

May 11, 2014
David: obviously, that's a forecast that doesn't make for optimal sailing conditions. That appears to be TODAY's forecast - I think the question is what did the forecast read for that time yesterday (SATURDAY) before the race?

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish

40 in the water is a big number. Kudos to the crews and local and national rescue personal for retrieving that many in those conditions. It must have been way ugly. We are indeed lucky that there weren't more casualties. But, of course, my sympathies for those who lost a person in their life. One of the interviews on TV featured a survivor who was clearly very traumatized by the event. I don't really want to be that guy.
It's appropriate to not dwell on this now. But I hope we'll re-visit this subject at some time to see what can be learned from this tragedy. I suspect there will be a lot of analysis from authorities on many levels.