Dauphine Island Race

BayMan

Sep 12, 2012
Hunter 450 Unspecified
Before you get the notion that a PFD is the universal answer to survival you might want to read the after-action report from that Mackinaw race up on L. Michigan a few years ago. Essentially several (believe 2) people died with their inflatable PFD on and deployed, trapped under a capsized boat. There have also been numerous cases of sailors being dragged to their deaths by a tether that they can't/could not release. Clip on to your jacklines, inflate your PFD and jump off a sailboat and you will get the picture. The findings have indicated that PFD's need crotch straps, and tethers need better user-end releases. My informal survey of other sailor's kit indicate that most don't have these recommended upgrades.
Yes all true. You also should carry a knife to deal with a tether causing trouble or to deflate quickly. But those are quirky situations like the 1 in a million time a seat belt causes more problems than it avoids. Day in and day out a pfd is a good choice. The thing is that they are comfortable enough these days that there is little reason not to make it a habit.
But any reluctance to wear one has to go away when a storm like that is all around you.

Confession: I don't always wear seat belts and never wear a bicycle helmet. Not sure what that says about me.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
The story of the young man who drowned while being towed behind his boat during the DI race reminded me a very scary situation we had one summer. A number of crew members had gone over the side on cleated-off looped dock lines to cool off. The wind picked up, boat speed increased, and I was alone at the wheel trying to slow the boat, and recover crew. One person was unable to pull herself back to the boat against the flow and she was being dragged under. Her foot was trapped in the loop, and panic was setting in. After struggling to pull the line in and only causing more danger it finally occurred to me to just cut off the dock line. We circled back and did a MOB to recover her. Ever since I carry a Gerber River Knife on my PFD belt.

Dec 11, 2010
MacGregor 26x Hayden AL
Someone wisely advised me to never be on my boat without a pocket knife. I am a technician and wear a Leatherman multi tool, with a separate flashlight in the same pouch, on my belt all the time. I have needed the knife a few times, but the pliers have been invaluable.

Sep 6, 2011
Before you get the notion that a PFD is the universal answer to survival you might want to read the after-action report from that Mackinaw race up on L. Michigan a few years ago. Essentially several (believe 2) people died with their inflatable PFD on and deployed, trapped under a capsized boat. There have also been numerous cases of sailors being dragged to their deaths by a tether that they can't/could not release. Clip on to your jacklines, inflate your PFD and jump off a sailboat and you will get the picture. The findings have indicated that PFD's need crotch straps, and tethers need better user-end releases. My informal survey of other sailor's kit indicate that most don't have these recommended upgrades.
While I agree there isn't a silver bullet to safety I'm not sure the WingNuts accident is a good one to use as an example. That boat was an odd experimental design. It wasn't self righting as most keel boats are. The two deceased were believed unconscious but that isn't fact but both had significant head trauma. I'm not sure if anything could have saved them under those conditions. Extrapolate that to a production keel boat from the last 50 years they may have survived unless they were drug by the tether which indeed can kill you. We will never know. There was a fellow from the Fl keys who's boat washed up in Cuba and he was still on a long tether attached to his trimaran is my most recent recollection of such an occurrence but I'm sure there are many.

Sailing isn't without risks but I do what I can to minimize the ones I have control over and educate myself over things I may encounter outside my control. I've been called over prepared, anal just to name a few and I take that as a compliment.

My lessons from the above mentioned accidents and the DI regatta tragedies are in no particular order:

-reef early / douse all but a hanky with weather approaching
-watch the weather closely especially if there is a watch out. Pay particular attention to frontal boundaries.
- keep VHF scanning at least 16 and NOAA
- 2 tethers per person on deck and max 3' long
- keep a knife attached to vest along with whistle
-in some instances manual vests may be a better choice. Have both but typically wear auto.
-crotch straps are a good idea (which I currently don't have but will be present in the next PFDs purchased)
- PLB is a good idea (don't have this either yet)

Most of this we all know or have least read but many don't for whatever reason. Covering the basics ahead of time gives more time to deal with whatever situation is happening. Sometimes sh*t happens and no amount of preparation will help. I wasn't there and am not qualified to judge what happened during this regatta but I can't help wonder what was happening on the boats with full sails still up when the storm hit.

Condolences to the families of the sailors who lost their lives.

SC

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
The wind picked up, boat speed increased, and I was alone at the wheel trying to slow the boat, and recover crew.
Easiest thing to do is to heave to.

Good idea about the knife.

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
Catalina 30 San Diego/ Dana Point, Ca.
I just returned from doing the Ensenada race and had spent some time and a lot of money getting my safety equipment updated. I ended up getting the Spinlock Hammar PFD because of the crotch straps and the good fit for my body. I also decided, after doing some reading, that the Spinlock tether was my best choice. So, my first opportunity to use them was immediately, doing this race. I am pretty appalled by the difficulty I had in clipping in but particularly unclipping from our jackline. I could do neither very quickly and it was pretty apparent to me that if I were in a very serious situation, it would be even more serious BECAUSE of the clips. They work counterintuitive so it will take a lot of just practice practice practice, to get comfortable with the way they work. Also was not thrilled with the idea of the way most jacklines run along the sides of the boat. Bottom line is we/I needed to do a lot of practice using these new items if they are going to actually be an additional safety measure for me. Having crotch or thigh straps stuffed into my pockets because they catch the back of my leg, and drive me crazy is not helpful. On the brighter side, the Spinlock PFD comes with a very easy to reach awesome knife that might get me out of trouble.

Really, just like everything sailing, practice is possibly the biggest lifesaver we have. Practicing knots, drills, talking through situations often...... it all matters.

Attachments

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
On the subject of heaving to ...

When I heave to under jib only (even storm jib only) my boat presents her stern quarter to the seas, rather than the beam, or better yet (if I understand correctly) the forward quarter.

How dangerous is this condition?

Jan 10, 2015
. . Pensacola, FL
Yes, I've been thinking of how heaving to in this severe of weather would work...how much sail? Easy to furl in a jib if you have a roller, but what if you don't? What if your main only has one reef, and that's not enough? Is it better to just lay ahull with bare poles?

As has been mentioned, at least this tragedy is serving to cause us to take a look at how we operate. If it makes us better mariners, then hopefully the lives lost will not have been totally in vain.

Jan 4, 2010
Farr 30 San Francisco
On the subject of the spinlock tether, our racing guys don't like it, it is not ISAF compliant. The ISAF compliant testers have a quick release at the harness, so you can untether if you are being dragged. It does have that knife thingy, call me skeptical don't know if you would find that in an emergency

A few years ago (believe it was the double handed Farallones race) someone drowned being pulled by his tether.

If he could have released then he might have frozen to death, or somebody could maybe have rescued him.

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
Working backwards, PFDs do not need a crotch strap. You need to have a PWC rated life vest instead. The vests are rated for impact at 50 mph, they will not come off during a any storm, assuming they are properly fitted. The other aspect about a life vest is that you have very good manuverability. You can swim almost normal because of the position you are in the water. I've been in the water many times with a life vest on, and they hold you in a very natural upright position, unless you kick to swim. Those orange thingies may hold you head above water in a swimming pool, but that is about all they are good for.
As far as a teather, I have a quick release that is designed for towing an inner tube. It has a rip cord that you yank to release the tether. It is designed to work under load.
The capsize of Wingnuts was a bit unique in that their boat had large solid wings out either side for counterbalance. Think 30 ft Moth. The boat turned completely turtle, with no chance of righting its self in any reasonable amount of time. Technically, that boat should have had a hatch just like what is required for trimarans. Most of the problems with that boat would not apply to a normal boat.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
On the subject of the spinlock tether, our racing guys don't like it, it is not ISAF compliant. The ISAF compliant testers have a quick release at the harness, so you can untether if you are being dragged. It does have that knife thingy, call me skeptical don't know if you would find that in an emergency
Your should have your 'racer guys' read up. Spinlock tethers are most certainly ISAF compliant. And many test modern tests have shown that while dragging in the water, a person CANNOT open a snap shackle under that load. Best practice says your first (and probably only) move is for your knife. Its what all the VOR people do.

PS - The inability to open it under heavy load is why racers no longer use plunger-style snap shackles on spin sheets and guys.

Sep 27, 2014
Montgomery 17 driveway
While working in a boatyard right out of school, I used to carry a 1/2 inch capacity adjustable open end wrench. It was about 3 inches long and I carried it in my change pocket. I was amazing at how many trips way back to the shop from far away boat docks that little wrench saved me. Amazing, too, is how many things on a sailboat you can adjust or take apart with a tiny tool like that.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
On the subject of heaving to ... When I heave to under jib only (even storm jib only) my boat presents her stern quarter to the seas, rather than the beam, or better yet (if I understand correctly) the forward quarter. How dangerous is this condition?
Not to make an example of your post, but you don't heave to with your jib. The main is doing most of the work. In fact most fin-keel modern boats need little to no jib in heave to, just main, and very little at that. So for example, to heave to on my boat I roll up my genoa, shorten the main to slow the boat, and lock the wheel over. A bit of drill if you just lost someone over the side. The purpose of your jib would be to push your bow off the wind, and a light cruiser will do that with a rolled up foresail, or maybe a scrap of sail. Bottom line - you have to practice this technique and find your boat's best configuration. If your boats still turns and runs, try dragging some stuff aft off your stern cleats.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Absolutely right, and fact is I had not practiced that technique at the time. However, it is an essential skill.

And it is an essential skill that should be practiced on your OWN BOAT, before trying it when you really need it. Not all boats heave-to the same way and the amount of sail or combination of sails needed to do this varies widely. You would also be best to practice this in 25-30+ for the full effect. Doing it in 10-15 will not give you the most realistic sense of how your boat will react in 30+.... Also how do you plan to hold your wheel or tiller hard over? Lots of stuff that should be considered before the snot flies...

The last bad micro-burst we experienced put all but two boats in the anchorage on the solid granite shore. We spent the afternoon and evening pulling badly damaged boats off rocks.

You may also want to think about the lackadaisical "lunch-hook" approach to anchoring. I know Scott B. has also experienced a similar event but was well prepared with ground tackle that could handle it. When ever we drop the hook it is with 70+ knots in mind. There are no half measures no matter how calm it may be when we anchor...

This event is very tragic, sad and frustrating all at the same time and yet sadly another black eye on the sailing community in general.

My hip shoot on this is that a lot of the mayhem likely could have been minimized if more boaters monitored VHF 16 and had a VHF radio that does NOAA emergency weather alerts. Our VHF does this and there is NO IGNORING IT. The NOAA alerts for weather like this are not ignorable and are very, very loud.

Perhaps if we could get rid of the ignoramuses who insist on illegally radio checking on VHF 16, and the useless "Facebook" level of chatter on 16, that drives people to not monitor it, more would monitor the VHF and we would all be safer and better prepared for weather events like this.

In one video, shot during the storm by the Catalina 36, I noted zero VHF chatter and I played it very loudly specifically listening for it.. I find it a little hard to believe that in a 17 minute video, of a storm this intense, there would be NADA, ZILCH & NOTHING going on with VHF 16, you know, the hailing and distress channel.....?

We are required by law to be monitoring VHF 16, if equipped. Is it possible a C-36 does not have even one VHF on board? Would the race even allow participation without a VHF? Monitoring VHF 16 means being able to hear it and no matter how loud I played that video I heard no VHF chatter.........:cussing: Christ we can't go 30 seconds on VHF 16 without some dolt asking for at least a radio check......;)

IF that boat was not monitoring VHF 16 what could they have possibly missed that they may have been able to help with, even something as simple as throwing a life jacket or ring buoy to a person in the water..? Perhaps the other boat they saw was trying to hail them? I don't know? What I do know is that we are required by law to monitor VHF 16, I could absolutely not hear it in that video. Maybe it is there and someone can correct me but from what I heard it was apparently not on or not on loud enough to qualify for "monitoring"....

There really is no excuse today for not having a VHF that can perform the simple functions below. Course you need to have the damn thing ON, as you are REQUIRED to, in order for these weather alerts to actually alert you.....;);)

"NOAA Weather channels and Weather Alert
10 NOAA and Canadian Weather channels are pre-programmed and easily selectable using the dedicated WX key. In addition, the MATRIX AIS+ can be set to monitor WX channels and provide an audible alert to inform of pending storm advisories."

Sep 27, 2014
Montgomery 17 driveway
Yes, finding out the best position for sails, rudder, etc. is a fun way to get a feel for your boat. With my old Flicka, I used to backwind the jib and put the tiller down (towards the lee side of the boat. The boat forereached with the jib and tried to fall off the wind but the forward momentum was checked by the rudder trying, against the jib, to bring the bow up into the wind. Result was she was "in irons" about ten degrees off the direction of the wind so I could just sit there and watch the commercial traffic run by on its way up to the Port of Houston while I ate my lunch.
If your boat continues to "turn tail" no matter how you set your sails and rudder perhaps you need a bit more aft rake in your mast to introduce more weather helm.
Good luck.

Jan 4, 2010
Farr 30 San Francisco
Oh that's great new cause those are the ones I bought!

Your should have your 'racer guys' read up. Spinlock tethers are most certainly ISAF compliant. And many test modern tests have shown that while dragging in the water, a person CANNOT open a snap shackle under that load. Best practice says your first (and probably only) move is for your knife. Its what all the VOR people do