Complete Refurb - 78 C&C Mega 30'

Feb 11, 2012
C&C Mega 30 Long Point, Lake Erie
C&C Mega Specs Resources Sailboat Specifications C&c - Mega 30 Od Post a Free For Sale Ad Sailboat Specifications for C&C - MEGA 30 OD Technical Specifications Hull Type Drop Keel LOA 29.92ft. 9.12m. LWL 27.33ft. 8.33m. Beam 8.14ft. 2.48m. Draft(max) 5ft. 1.52m. Displacement 4500lbs. 2041kgs. Production Designer Peter Barrett Builder C&C Yachts Construction Material Fiberglass Production Start 1977 Total Number Built 115 Rigging and Sails Rig Type Fractional Sloop Listed Sail Area 428sq.ft. 39.76sq.m. Fore Sail Area 183.15sq.ft. 17.01sq.m. I 33.3ft. 10.15m. J 11ft. 3.35m. E 13.7ft. 4.18m. P 35.7ft. 10.88m. Sail to Displacement Ratio 25.18 PHRF Rating High 171 Low 132 Average 147 SourceUS SailingMore DetailsRig Dimensions Performance Calculations Maximum Hull Speed 7.01 kts. Capsize Screening Formula 1.97 Sail Area/Displacement (SA/D) 25.12 (High-Performance Racer) Displacement/Length (D/L) 98.41 (Light Displacement) Motion Comfort Ratio 14.16 Note: The performance calculations are theoretical numbers which are calculated off the specifications of the vessel and should be used for educational purposes only. For actual performance statistics contact the manufacturer of the vessel. THE STANDARD BOAT DIMENSIONS Data courtesy of: sailrite I J P E I2/P2 J2/E2 33.25ft (10135mm) 11.00ft (3353mm) 35.67ft (10872mm) 13.67ft

Feb 11, 2012
Stearn Sailing Systems Furler

Steam Twinstay One / Dynafurl One

Troubleshooting

The standard considerations in all furling system installations are:

Halyard angle -- angle should be aft of parallel to the luff when the sail is fully hoisted. On many masthead arrangements this will require a halyard pullback device installed on the mast. (See Accessories)
Halyard Swivel Height -- halyard swivel should be within 12" of the halyard sheave when the sail is fully hoisted. On shorter sails, this will require a wire pennant attached to the sail at the top (for performance), or at the bottom (for visibility). To check Halyard Swivel height, or to measure for a pennant, carefully hoist the Halyard Swivel with the sail attached to it, but not attached at the tack. When sail is fully hoisted measure from the tack of the sail to the tack pin, or shackle, on the furling drum. Pennant should be 6-12" shorter than this measurement and preferably, attached directly to the sail.

Furling line Angle -- furling line should enter the drum at 90 degrees to the luff. This is achieved by adjusting the position of the furling line block or fairlead closest to the furling drum.

Furling line Tension -- Furling line should always be under tension when the sail is being unfurled. Leading the line through a ratchet block mounted aft of the operator is usually a big help.

Furling line Jam -- there should not be so much line on the drum that it binds against the drum cover when fully wound for any particular sail. Start with the sail rolled up. There should not be more than 3 wraps on the drum when the sail is tightly furled with the sheets wrapped around it twice. If you cannot get enough line on the drum to completely unfurl the sail, then the line you are using is too large. Reduce line size or, remove the core in the forward third of a braided line. "Coring" the line will reduce the amount of space it takes up and cause it to lie flatter on the drum. This should be done in all furling installations using standard braided line, as it reduces fouling and overrides while still giving you a full diameter line in the cockpit. Some systems, notably Hyde and Stearns, are best suited for wire/rope furling lines in many applications. (See Accessories)

If you are experiencing trouble with your Stearns system that is not related to any of those items above, it is usually one of the following problems:

System doesn't rotate smoothly - With reduced backstay tension and no tension on the furling line, grab the drum and rotate the system by hand. If it feels rough or bumpy it is time to replace the Terminal End bearings, torque nuts, and O-rings. (See Bearing Replacement Kits)
Hard to furl - If you've already checked the Terminal Ends (System doesn't rotate smoothly, above) then it's time to check the halyard swivel. Lower the sail and rotate the top of the Halyard Swivel while holding the bottom. It should rotate smoothly and easily. If not, you need to replace the Halyard Swivel bearing. (See Bearing Replacement) Also be sure to check the white Delrin Inserts between the halyard swivel and the rod. Make sure that they are firmly in place and that they fit snugly against the rod. If they are sufficiently worn they can allow the Halyard Swivel to cock to one side. This will increase the effort needed to furl and they should be replaced.

Feb 11, 2012
I have a little over $350 of steel, winches, straps, hardware, paint, welding rod etc. into the slings plus my time & labor to build them.

$500 would buy both slings and the new 5000lb Kinedyne straps, complete.

Feb 11, 2012
Keel Hoist Maintenance

Proper lubrication of the keel hoist screw jack nut assembly is mandatory to ensure that the electric keel hoist winch motor is not damaged due to overloading. This will also ensure that excessive battery current is not used, thereby providing maximum battery use from each charge.

The screw should be lubricated with a spray type lubricant. GE silicone spray and WD 40 are two commonly available brands. Simply start at the top of the slot on each side of the aft post. Operate the spray and spray down to the bottom of the slot. This should be done each time the keel is cycled or often enough to prevent corrosion if the system is seldom activated. It should also be lubricated prior to the first operation during spring commissioning and before the final operation prior to fall layup.

The keel is a solid iron casting. It will require periodic painting with paints recommended by your dealer for your local sailing waters.

There is a bronze roller at the aft bottom end of the keel trunk. While the boat is in the water, it is water lubricated. It should be lubricated periodically if kept on a trailer and in the spring and fall before and after commissioning and fall layup with silicone.

The electric winch motor should be lubricated according to the manufacturer's specifications.

The chain and sprockets should be lubricated with powdered graphite or dry chain lubricant every five cycles of the keel or once a month - which ever comes first.

The top screw jack bearing should be lubricated every two years by your C&C dealer.

May 23, 2015
c and c mega 30 haslett mi
I would probably buy them if you lived nearby . I am a 4 hour drive from you. . You live in a beautiful area I have been out camping in that area . Great place for a mega .

Feb 11, 2012
Let me know what you are asking for your slings. I just acquired 6 sailboat stands for 250$ so that will allow me to raise the boat and see what I can do about the keel. I am a little nervous I may run into problems with the keel mechanism that is beyond my capability but we shall see. I guess I will be able to work on it without removing it. I am wondering about how you replace this bronze bushing that is supposed to be located on the forward part of the keel well. I don't know how you tell if it is bad. I am afraid that when I take the rust off the keel there may not be anything left. This boat was trailered with the keel up in the past and there is an old repair aft of the keel on the outside and the floor is showing some cracks aft of the keel.
I can only guess about that repair aft of the keel. Possibly a result of it being trailered or supported incorrectly. I'm pretty sure that if the hull does not have the supporting bunks in the correct position, the huge load that a suspended keel applies around the two compression posts could or would eventually compromise the hull.

Feb 11, 2012
Let me know what you are asking for your slings. I just acquired 6 sailboat stands for 250$ so that will allow me to raise the boat and see what I can do about the keel. I am a little nervous I may run into problems with the keel mechanism that is beyond my capability but we shall see. I guess I will be able to work on it without removing it. I am wondering about how you replace this bronze bushing that is supposed to be located on the forward part of the keel well. I don't know how you tell if it is bad. I am afraid that when I take the rust off the keel there may not be anything left. This boat was trailered with the keel up in the past and there is an old repair aft of the keel on the outside and the floor is showing some cracks aft of the keel.
Not sure about the bronze bushing in the forward keel well....
image-1916170531.jpg
Below is my forward safety/ support pin, and the keel mechanism.
image-52580876.jpg
image-2880757012.jpg
image-1125918408.jpg
image-3828919211.jpg
image-1379999447.jpg
image-3323990029.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2012
Back to the enclosure. Two sided tape & heavy plastic for pattering.

image-1325073245.jpg image-269331533.jpg image-1465294450.jpg image-3735852269.jpg image-1497401591.jpg

All the enclosure tubing is designed to retract inline with each other to stow away.
The three upper canopy supports loosen to slide inline and against one another to the aft uprights where I will create a cover.
The spray dodger has spring loaded pull pin SS fittings so that it easily collapses inline flat to the cabin top.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2007
Grampian Classic 31 Norfolk, VA
Do you know if that Mega is still for sale?

Keep us posted. There is one for sale at Brick Cove in Southold NY. Interesting boat.
I am looking for a Mega, if anybody knows of one for sale please contact me at garthbirdsey AT msn DOT com

May 23, 2015
Keel

Paul I am almost ready to lift my boat to work on the keel. Do you plan to work on it installed or to remove it completely. I am going to try a wire brush ange grinder first with the keel still installed . Here is a picture of my "Moon "crater keel".

Larry

Attachments

Feb 11, 2012
Paul I am almost ready to lift my boat to work on the keel. Do you plan to work on it installed or to remove it completely. I am going to try a wire brush ange grinder first with the keel still installed . Here is a picture of my "Moon "crater keel". Larry
I would not remove the keel. If you have the ability to raise the hull and lower the keel, you will be able to refinish the entire keel from both inside and outside the hull.

I tried a SS white wheel and it worked ok...I then tried a flappy disk and it worked very well.

Once you have the keel down to bare metal, be sure to soak the entire surface with phosphoric acid in order to create a layer of non rusting iron phosphate. Then continue with your epoxy fill etc. Be sure when smoothing your repairs that you don't expose the bare cast over again.

I used POR 15 gloss to finish my keel....one word "amazing"...perfect seal and TOUGH!

It appears you have a challenging few hours ahead of you from the looks of it.

May 23, 2015
I have got her raised up between 2 trees . I brought in a sandblasting company that took the keel down to bare metal in one hour . I put 3 coats of por 15 on the bare metal. The por 15 directions are a little scattered but one section said you don't need to put acid on sandblasted metal . I am now a little worried about not doing that but I guess we shall see. Next I need to put filler on top of the por15 . Por15 makes a filler for this

Attachments

Feb 11, 2012
I have got her raised up between 2 trees . I brought in a sandblasting company that took the keel down to bare metal in one hour . I put 3 coats of por 15 on the bare metal. The por 15 directions are a little scattered but one section said you don't need to put acid on sandblasted metal . I am now a little worried about not doing that but I guess we shall see. Next I need to put filler on top of the por15 . Por15 makes a filler for this
Nicely done, ingenuity at its finest!

Feb 11, 2012
Interior paint - Interlux Perfection Arctic White - Two part. Pleased with the outcome.
image-4180729570.jpg
image-3427108192.jpg
image-740983779.jpg
image-3033764547.jpg
image-1516480801.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2012
Topside prepped for Arctic White two part as well. Non-slip will be Interlux beige.
image-3213101195.jpg
image-1344339928.jpg
image-4208907078.jpg

Last edited: