C-27 Refit/Refurb

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
It's been awhile but I made my own with threaded rod, some washers and nuts. You are handy and creative enough to do the same and save the money. Google and/or You Tube it and I bet you will find instructions for one.

Gary
I will do some research. I see the Strut Pro as a tool to have for service and yard work where you do not know from day to day what you will need... I have to agree that for a single boat and a single set of dimensions it should be easy to manufacture the specific tool... I wonder if I have some tubing already that will fit over the shaft, yet inside the strut???? I could use a few pieces of thin bar too, held onto the shaft with some rubber bands....

pk104

Jun 30, 2009
Catalina 310 Atwood Lake
I typed in cutlass bearing on You tube and sure enough there is a video of a guy changing one on a 30 Catalina same way I did it. I did remove the shaft from the boat. Haul out, shaft removal, cutlass bearing change, launch took about 6 hours. I was also about 15 years younger without a lot of time and had good help.

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
I am inclined to want to leave shaft on. I want something like the strut pro system

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
After a lot of debate, (mentally) and considering the time I have available to go and actually fabricate something out of the proper steel, I have decided to go for the Strut Pro Bearing tool for the BACK size bearing common on most Catalina yachts. 1" ID 1.25" OD, 4" length.

At this point I am not too keen on shipping it all over the world but I might be inclined to help nearby boaters with shaft replacement during haulout, for a small fee to help cover the purchase price....

B.O.A.T. Bust Out Another Thousand...

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
I could really "break it off" and go get one of those fancy new props that Indigo is selling.....

Man, where does it end?

pk104

Jun 30, 2009
Catalina 310 Atwood Lake
If it ended you would probably get bored with it. If your lake is finally filling, you need to go sailing!

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
My arms are about to fall off... Port topsides polished and waxed. This thing was so neglected from a cosmetic standpoint. Starboard side will take a few days, then the deck and cabin roof. At this point I wish I had painted the remaining gel coat on the deck. Probably too late at this point.

Bearing and tools arrive Tuesday... New bearing and stuffing box to be repacked.

I ordered an air horn.... Kleinn Train Horns has a horn that sounds like a yacht horn, #411. My neighbor 1.5 miles away heard it just fine. I decided to go for it after having been almost run over by a power boat a few years ago. I still can't fathom why the boat didn't see us!!!! They will darn sure hear us.... :)

Here are a few pics from today...

I have to remember that fluorescent lights are the most revealing to work under. I hate them but I love them. The only problem is you gotta know when you can stop. An incandescent or halogen light is handy to check your work. Many flaws you see in fluorescent will never go away in that light. Change you light source or use sunlight and you will appreciate your work a lot more.

Attachments

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
I have to add something funny. My wife came out to the shop tonight. The first thing she asked was if I was going to paint the rubrail.....

The '87 c-22 we had last got treated with a lovely black FUSION paint job on the standard Catalina rub rail. It really updated the boat's look.

I guess I am going to be at the big box store soon to get some tape and a few cans of FUSION.

For those scratching their heads.... The paint really does stick really well to the rubrail material. Give it a shot.

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
Did you just paint the rubber or the aluminum too? I just finished the upper boat line today on the Luger 30 and now the rub rail is looking rattier. The rub rail on the Luger is all aluminum with no insert.

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
Did you just paint the rubber or the aluminum too? I just finished the upper boat line today on the Luger 30 and now the rub rail is looking rattier. The rub rail on the Luger is all aluminum with no insert.
The last boat got painted black rubber in the natural as-colored aluminum. Just the rubber was painted. .

Watch for overspray!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2010
Catalina #2216 Driveway
Now you have me thinking trying to figure out who you are and which C22 you drove... For years, our cove just around the corner to the west had as many as 7 sailboats on the docks. Not so much these days.. We used to go out at all times of the day and night, raft up as a group, swim and play... At nightime there were occasionally pirate games, complete with potato cannons...

Which boat is/was yours? Are you bringing the 27 back from Oologah? I think I know which one you bought....

image-746883298.jpg

Hey Phil, I haven't been to the boat much for a pic, but there she is. "Free Spirit" is #3576, and parked towards the end of dock 7 (?). Not sure I ever ran into you on the water; I was definitely never shot at (unfortunately), but that sounds like a great time. Hopefully the water will keep rising.

I'm planning on leaving her at Oologah due to my lacking confidence in Blackwell's level holding on, and not having a trailer. Plus, I might move on this December when I graduate! Maybe...

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
I started pondering permanent installation of a signalling horn last night. I really am not quite sure I understand how a boat can be built without one from the factory but that is another story.

Here are the parts and pieces of my signalling horn I am installing in the Catalina. Yes, that is a compressor and an air tank you see...

I decided to go with a very yachty-sounding single trumpet horn from Kleinn Horns. The folks there were very helpful in discussing the options I had available to me.

What I think I want to do is install the compressor and air tank in the port hanging locker, next to the pressure pump for the water system. Depending on losses in the suply tubing, I may install the valve in there next to the tank, or I may put it up under the mast step. The horn is going to mount on the side of the mast and will be hard-plumbed to a fitting that exits the mast near the mast base. I will then use a piece of flexible braided stainless steel hose to go between the mast fitting and the deck fitting. This will keep all of the pressure line accessible for service, except the portion in the mast, probably 6 feet.

A few years ago my wife and I were out sailing the C22 in broad daylight and almost got run over by a powerboat that didn't see us, (How do you not see a sailboat???). this will make sure that anyone approaching sees us, after they HEAR us. :D

Attachments

Nov 7, 2012
1978 Catalina 30 Wilbur-by-the-Sea
Will the horn be horizontal on the mast or vertical facing the deck? Looks interesting. I would think vertical may be better for an omnidirectional sound pattern, but the entire horn on a boat thing is somewhat new to me. I thing the face them forward on the pilot house tops for trawlers and the like.

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
Vertical on side of mast is how I intend to mount it.

It prevents a trip hazard, is omnidirectional as you mention, and keeps the rain out.

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
So I need to find a flanged, finished, stainless NPT MALE-MALE CONNECTOR so I can screw down a sealable fitting to both the deck and the mast. My intention is to use a braided stainless steel hose between the deck and the mast. I want it to be serviceable.

I cannot believe nobody makes a part like I need. It's really freaking me out.

I am using the Forespar clamshell fittings for mast wiring, but I know braided air line will leak through these deck seals.

Help!

:D

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
I got to sail yesterday. 13, gusting to 17, consistent wind by Oklahoma standards... I stole my buddies C25 parked on my sister's dock next door. Actually I didn't steal it really, since I drove to his house and met him to pick up the Honda 5-horse that goes with the boat...

I tried something I hadn't before, hoisting only the jib and not the main. I know the boat has no reefing rigged for the main, and I did not want to be overpowered by a possibly increasing wind on my first "big-boat" sail in about 3 years. SO.... Up went the 110.

I didn't set any speed records, as my intention was to find comfort in sailing again after so long. It was quite pleasant! The weather helm you have when sailing with main only is totally gone.... NICE!!!

I will consider this a viable option more often when wanting to go get some time in at the tiller, yet not wanting to stress myself out with trying to juggle two sails, especially on someone else's boat that is not rigged the same as I would rig mine.

Welcome me back to the sailing community! Now to just get a couple more feet of water under the keel of my 27 at her dock. We are going into the dry time, so hopefully next spring we can splash in a full-pool lake.

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
So..... Full report tomorrow. In the meantime, besides heat on strut and an ice cold bearing, what friggin lubricant do you use to install a strut/cutlass/cutless bearing?

Mine didn't work. Something tells me Maine Sail will tell me TefGel... :)

Another bearing to be ordered Tuesday. Lesson learned...

Attachments

Nov 7, 2012
1978 Catalina 30 Wilbur-by-the-Sea
I have no experience with bearing on boats but when I rebuilt the gearbox on my motorcycle I did the freeze the bearing and used a blowtorch to heat the case to the point it was disturbingly hot. Did not require lube, just a rubber mallet and a nice drift.

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
My one concern with heat is that this is a shaft-on bearing replacement. I do not want to get the shaft so hot it affects the thermoforming rubber component of the bearings inner surface.

More details with more pics when I get to my computer....