C-27 Refit/Refurb

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
While posting over at the Macgregor forums as part of looking through All Discussions, I posted this. Thought it was clever enough to consider for further thought. The Catalina 27 inboard really is an ideal candidate for this, as the aft lazarette on the inboard models is an ideal location for such a device. Here is a copy of my post over at the Macgregor AC thread:

I saw a neat install recently while perusing a classic camping trailer website. Now understand this is a 13' vintage camper site, so space is a premium!

A gent had taken a 5000 BTU home unit from Walmart or the local BigBox and built it into a box. The box was designed to sit under the camper after getting to a campsite and seting up.

In very basic terms, the guy built the box with three "chambers": The hot side, i.e. the part that normally hangs out of a house window. That really was not a chamber per se, but rather an open backed space or volume. The second chamber was the cold side, where the cold air blows out the front grate/vent/outlet. Finally the "warm' side, which was the return air from the camper that was pulled in, chilled and blown back out..

The AC unit was fitted inside and sealed. The controls were accessible through a gasketed door for the RV application, (inconvenient) but I see that someone could remove them and wire them to an umbilical.

The cold side and warm, or return side were connected to the RV through very short lengths of dryer duct.

I can see something similarly engineered, where one could use a little ingenuity and do similar or basically the same in a sailboat, with the chambered enclosure in one of the cockpit lazarettes. Pop a few round holes and connect them to the cold side via flexi duct. Insulate it of course... :) Then another rond hole or two connected back to the return vents.

It is redneck as all get out, but could be built for well less than the drop-in-the hatch style, and would be more permanent than the window-unit-you-gotta-step-over mounted in the companionway... It also will prevent a guy from cutting a big unsightly rectangular hole in a bulkhead to mount this same window unit directly into the cabin area...

For an inboard Catalina 27, the ideal place for such a unit would be the aft laz... It is already plumbed to gravity drain, so condensation from the AC would basically be a zero issue...

Attachments

Aug 22, 2011
MacGregor Venture V224 Cheeseland
Thanks, but not a chance.... :)

The iPhone camera hides a lot of flaws. So does careful image composition.... :dance:

I would say a flaw done tastefully presents as character. Custom even in today speak.

We have no water either; just ice soooo - bring your tools please. and a heater.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
Dust Dust Dust.... Dust everywhere. Did I tell you ever that teak and mahogany dust really tears my sinuses up too??

I am getting ready to mill some new teak or mahogany bezels for those halogen hockey puck lights I bought for the boat two years ago. Rather than cover everything else in the shop with fine sawdusts, I have decided to take a break from the boat and work on my woodworking area to improve dust management.

I am boxing in my router table insert on my outfeed table. I am also adding enclosed cabinet storage. Previously the router just dumped on whatever was under it, usually air guns and other tools in their cases. Now one side of the table is boxed in with adjustable shelving and storage, as well as a larger deep cabinet for all those tool cases.

Sunday I worked on sealing up the table-saw cabinet, providing a dust collection bin and a vacuum port. I ordered a cyclonic dust separator that will go between the shop vac(s) and the table saw and router. I also intend to build a simple sanding platform that will fit over the router insert, providing down-draft dust collection from sanding work. Hopefully this effort will result in a lot less airborn particulates to land on sailboat decks, wood boats, workbenches, floors etc. We will see. Here are some picis

Attachments

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
Sometimes a little distraction is what is needed to get your mind off of working on the boat for a while. I know this is not boat related, but it WILL be once I get back to more woodwork on the boat.

Here is a compound miter saw cabinet I made last weekend....

Attachments

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
We are going on almost 3 years in the shop... It will be three years this October.... I have not touched the 27 in more than a month, disgusted by the lack of rain and a lake that was slowly disappearing. This man was starting to get really grumpy about a lake that was ten-feet down with no hope of water in sight. I was beginning to question whether or not climate change had caused the desert southwest to creep this way. We have had zero rain despite the state having twice the average normal so far this year.

Overnight the lake took a 4.5" direct hit, and the drainage basin that feeds it got like 5.5" overnight. More is on the way. The US Yachts 250 and the Catalina 25 shown in these before and after pics might be floating by nightfall if all goes well....

My dock had completely dried out and as of this morning it is floating. There is I think 3-feet of new water in the lake since yesterday.... There is a current moving under a bridge at the entrance to the lake, so I know we are still getting runoff.

Woo Hoo!

Attachments

pk104

Jun 30, 2009
Catalina 310 Atwood Lake
Good luck! I hope this is it and is the beginning of a Great sailing season for you. All the hard work you put into your boat needs to be enjoyed.

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
6 inches fell today. Outside of the lake area by about 30 miles. Had we gotten that rain we would be done. More storms scheduled for tomorrow though. Cross your fingers

Feb 12, 2013
C&C 35 MKIII k/c Rock Creek, Chesapeake
Hope you get lots of rain. Those pictures are terrible . Good luck

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
Looks like we have floaters. The water is still too low to get the 27 in at the ramp, but it would probably make it to the dock now if it were in the water. The 25 is floating now, even though the keel is down in a "wallered-out" hole in the mud. If we got 4 more feet I think I could do it. Right now, with creeks and tributaries running, another 3-4 inches of rain might get it done.

If we had received the rain Oklahoma City received last night we would have been at full pool today....

Still praying for rain...

Attachments

Mar 29, 2010
Catalina #2216 Driveway
Hey Phil, glad to hear our lake is filling! I sold my Catalina 22 to the club, and recently found your post here while looking around for 27 info (just bought one on Oologah Lake). However, I'll be back in a couple months, and it's good to know I'll have water to teach the new kidos on; I don't even remember the last time we were able to launch off our docks instead of walking them down the swimming beach! I was certain we were going to turn the sailing club to an ATV club!
Finally finished all 13 pages of your progress, and it's been good for looking at mine for new ideas. Step 1 was deep interior cleaning, and thankfully it's a couple hours away from being done. Next, I figure out the wiring job done by a PO.
Thanks for showing me what it looks like to have docks on the water instead of 20+' behind the water's edge!

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
Hey Phil, glad to hear our lake is filling! I sold my Catalina 22 to the club, and recently found your post here while looking around for 27 info (just bought one on Oologah Lake). However, I'll be back in a couple months, and it's good to know I'll have water to teach the new kidos on; I don't even remember the last time we were able to launch off our docks instead of walking them down the swimming beach! I was certain we were going to turn the sailing club to an ATV club!
Finally finished all 13 pages of your progress, and it's been good for looking at mine for new ideas. Step 1 was deep interior cleaning, and thankfully it's a couple hours away from being done. Next, I figure out the wiring job done by a PO.
Thanks for showing me what it looks like to have docks on the water instead of 20+' behind the water's edge!
Now you have me thinking trying to figure out who you are and which C22 you drove... For years, our cove just around the corner to the west had as many as 7 sailboats on the docks. Not so much these days.. We used to go out at all times of the day and night, raft up as a group, swim and play... At nightime there were occasionally pirate games, complete with potato cannons...

Which boat is/was yours? Are you bringing the 27 back from Oologah? I think I know which one you bought....

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
More rain potentially late Sunday night. I am changing my fathers day wish. I just want a full lake

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
Got a little time in the shop as a Father's Day gift yesterday. Spent it with the random orbit sander and the buffer. This is 1200-grit wet-sanded, followed by 3M rubbing compound, Meguiars Diamond Cut, finished with 3M Perfect-it 3000 Trizact finishing polish.

The lake got 3+ inches of rain overnight and will rise 2-feet by tomorrow morning. It is time to get my butt in gear and get this boat done....

Attachments

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
The Catalina 25 my buddy owns is now floating freely ready to sail, and my dock's ramp is a lot less steep.

I should have 6' under the waterline off the edge of my dock now. I should have 7' by tomorrow. The boat for sure would float at the dock. I think I probably could consider floating it off the trailer now too....

Debating rigging the mast on the trailer with an A-frame or floating her off and then driving her around and stepping the mast at the dock.... The latter seems safer....

Attachments

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
Phil, Looks great! We are all looking forward toward celebrating your launch.
Good Luck

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Phil,

That's AWESOME that your lake is coming back to life. Get her wet, you've suffered too long.

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
Well, I am wondring about replacing the cutless bearing since the boat is on the hard. There is noticeable play..... I have the bearing identified as the Johnson-Duramax BACK, 1" shaft, 1.25" bearing OD, 4" length. I am considering buying the prop puller and the bearing, but looking at bearing removal tools, I am hesitant to spend the $420 it will take to purchase and ship the proper Strut Pro bearing tool.

Does anyone here have one I could rent? If not, would it be worthwhile enough for me to buy one and rent out? It seems every Catalina owner with a 1" shaft would be able to use the same puller. I just wonder about damage to that pricey a tool in a loaner/renter pool???

Thoughts?

pk104

Jun 30, 2009
Catalina 310 Atwood Lake
It's been awhile but I made my own with threaded rod, some washers and nuts. You are handy and creative enough to do the same and save the money. Google and/or You Tube it and I bet you will find instructions for one.

Gary