C-27 Refit/Refurb

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
Well, as I am reading around this morning, I realize I may have an issue to deal with on the cockpit seats... I will need to mark the white vinyl with something different than the sharpie markers I have been using for the dark interior fabric.

I also may find I need to either cover, or somehow remove all the sharpie markings I have made so far on the foam. I would hate it to have gone this far and spent this much only to find that after a slight wetting and/or cleaning that the ink is bleeding though the vinyl from the foam....

Hmmmmm.....

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
Looks like a cockpit cushion to me!!!

Finally remembered I planned on a Dacron top, rolling over to the face of the cushion. All ink is buried.

This is the starboard aft cushion. The cutout is for the tiller pilot. A filler goes there when the TP is stowed. More sewing later...

Attachments

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
Learning curve. Learning curve. Learning curve....

Vinyl is a precise medium to work in. Take the fact that a row of visible needle holes is, well, visible if you have to re-do something adds to the challenge. Add to it exponentially by adding beveled angles on the "vertical sections" where you have to move through an asymmetrical corner where one panel is vertical and the other isn't. To manage all this might seem easy for the day-in-day-out pro, but for me I found it rather challenging. I had my setbacks but I got going.

The tough part in all of this is that when you get to the last cushion, what you learned will have you going back to the first cushion and redoing it. That is what will probably happen here. If I had advice for someone trying this as I am for the first time, buy enough material for about 30% goof up. It seems painful but still cheaper than hiring it. Plus the satisfaction of a job, (finally) mastered is immense. It is a lot of fun to share and say, "I did that!"

Here is a pic or two of the starboard cushion set. I need to either repair or replace the first-sewed aft-most cushion: the snap tab under the front is too short/skinny to hit the fiberglass seat, where I will be installing mating male snaps. I will try a patch first but have enough vinyl to go again.

As much as you measure you will still get something wrong... :)

Attachments

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
Nice work. Nobody appreciates it like someone who has been through it. By Dacron I assume you mean 1" batting. Makes the corners full and rounded. Try cording on the corners next time. It is a little more difficult but hides a multitude of sins. What size foam did you use? I made mine out of 3" plus batting. I rarely use the back cushion, people would rather sit on the perch seats. I like the vinyl idea I had them on my old Mac that came with boat and almost 30 years later they still look like new. I made my for the C-27 out of Sunbrella. I use the boat for fishing and will make some fitted vinyl covers. I have a friend who drops his bait on the seats.
I always enjoy visiting your mods.

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
Thanks for the kind words!

I used 3" hi-density, 1.5" memory foam and yea, 1" batting.

VERY COMFORTABLE... :)

I tried corner cording on some test pieces. To mi it looked worse, and was WAY more work. I took the time to try to get good with non-corded seams and I think the work will show it once I get a little heat on them.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
All cockpit seat bottoms are done. I wish the aft cushion were a little smaller, as it is tight up against the traveller as I mentioned previously. I may recut the foam and make a new slightly smaller cover. There is one other issue with it I won't share... :)

I am debating seat backs to go fore and aft. I have the foam cut for it. On a previous boat we didn't use them much, but the previous boat only used 1" foam. They weren't very comfy. These are different as evidenced by some test lounging...

Lastly I am making at least one reclining seat back to go up against the cabin wall to port. My wife likes that lounge. I would do two, one for each side but the compass is to starboard. It kinda bulges out. I could thermoform a recess cup. Hmmm........

Anyway, here are some shots from this eve...

Attachments

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Have you thought about moving the traveler over the cabin? I may do it just to cliean up the cockpit. I've already replaced the split backstay with a single back stay. It gave me a lot more room and made perch seats easier to sit on.

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
Have you thought about moving the traveler over the cabin? I may do it just to cliean up the cockpit. I've already replaced the split backstay with a single back stay. It gave me a lot more room and made perch seats easier to sit on.
I single-hand a lot. While I like the social aspect of mid-boom sheeting, I think I will prefer boom-end when I am out solo until I get to go to a different boat, or a big chunk of cash to do it really right. I am setting things up so the tiller is quick- pin attached... Let the traveller down and remove the tiller and you got a wide open cockpit...

Perch seats... Was looking at stern-rail mounted seatback ideas this evening.... Hmmm...

There is a plus side to not having water. The boat just has more time in the shed to get comfy stuff done...

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
I single-hand a lot. While I like the social aspect of mid-boom sheeting, I think I will prefer boom-end when I am out solo until I get to go to a different boat, or a big chunk of cash to do it really right. I am setting things up so the tiller is quick- pin attached... Let the traveller down and remove the tiller and you got a wide open cockpit...

Perch seats... Was looking at stern-rail mounted seatback ideas this evening.... Hmmm...

There is a plus side to not having water. The boat just has more time in the shed to get comfy stuff done...
I think I can pickup a traveler pretty cheap. I would be the same traveler from a C27 salvage boat. I would just need to make the wooden mounts. I solo most of the time myself and don't think it would be that difficult to control the mailn sheet. The only reservation I have is that it will interfere with the forward view.

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Not bad for a 38-year-old...
Judging from your picture you're looking a little weathered for 38... oh you mean the boat. ;) Amazing what a face lift can do, nice work.

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
Really, really nice job. You are going to give Hinckley a bad name.

May 27, 2012
Oday 222 Beaver Lake, Arkansas
Having recently looked at a 27 with water 2 inches deep in the sole, I can truly appreciate the work youve done.

Jan 7, 2012
catalina 22 Cave Run Lake
Pimp Ride you have there! Very nice interior! Only problem with that boat is that is in not in my garage instead of yours.

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
Pimp Ride you have there! Very nice interior! Only problem with that boat is that is in not in my garage instead of yours.
The problem is it is not in the water!!!!!

We are in the middle of a drought that shows no signs of letting up. I will be shocked and amazed if we recover enough this season to hit the water this summer....

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
Cockpit cushions are maybe all done. To port there is a back cushion that leans against the cabin wall. The compass is to starboard, and it is not an easy upholstery job so I will leave that one off for now.

Snaps are installed temporarily. I need to go back and seal the studs in the 'glass when I fill and seal off the old holes. Good thing is the cushions stay in place!

Here are pics from today...

Attachments