C-27 Refit/Refurb

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
Brief bit of work in the shop this morning. Got one more cushion stuffed. The dinette is complete except for a few more accessory pillows

image-1178242197.jpg

image-4211930679.jpg

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
Two more cushions done this eve.

image-745214865.jpg

image-2198437380.jpg

image-3770100628.jpg

image-4201742579.jpg

Two to go, got fabric for one.... :( Woops...
image-2245327887.jpg

At least it is close to being done. The before/after v-berth shot is quite telling. I like this new material

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
Quick update:

Got more material.
Decided to stick with stock V-berth cushion layout.
Got the starboard cushion for the V-berth done.
Now it's just the starboard aft pilot berth to cover and the stock upholstery cushions will all be done.

I picked up some light color faux-leather to help make some accent pillows that tie the new carpet in with the new cushion covers. Stay tuned for pics. Here is the V-berth all done. Forgive the wrinkles, I had just crawled out... :)

Attachments

Jan 7, 2012
catalina 22 Cave Run Lake
Really line the way you did your layout, never really like the dinette models but really like the way you laid yours out. Can you make the dinette into a full bed? Gotta say I haven't read all your thread just bits and pieces but next slow day gonna take time to go through all of it. You done a major refit as I see, something I plan on doing myself. Like idea of making boat my own while bringing a boat back to life. Good job man like it a lot.

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
'Billy-

At this point, the dinette table top is cut-down to a narrow width to form the u-shape you see in the current pics. As a result there is currently no way to create a bed that is the full width of the dinette, as I do not have another piece of wood that will finish filling the span between the fore and aft dinette seats.

HOWEVER... Discussion on the other thread in the Catalina 30 regarding photos of updates and upgrades has me today thinking I have an opportunity. What I may consider doing is to create a hard bench/ storage box that has the same footprint of the cut-down dinette table top as you see it in the current dinette pictures. This will create extra storage for those wayward things that otherwise would be loose to fly around the cabin interior, like guests' bring-aboard bags, etc. I can take advantage of several options, either drawers or doors on the face, combined with a shallow storage area under a flip-up lid that the cushion rests on.

Then, I can use the existing table top piece, or a new one designed to work with a removable-pole pedestal base to finish filling out the width of the dinette seats, creating the last piece of support that would allow creation of the full bed. Hopefully that makes sense?

I did a "photo-chop" on a pic of what I am describing to make it easier to grasp.

Attachments

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
phil........ where would you store the cut down table top? Can you slide it under the fixed half. Or do you plan to simply have an adjustable pedestal half size table for your U Shaped settee rather than leaving it open as you have it now?

One great thing about your redesign is the improved access to the starboard quarter berth. On my boat it's become a storage area.... I've seriously considered converting it to a lazarette by cutting an opening through the existing cockpit storage box...

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
phil........ where would you store the cut down table top? Can you slide it under the fixed half. Or do you plan to simply have an adjustable pedestal half size table for your U Shaped settee rather than leaving it open as you have it now?

One great thing about your redesign is the improved access to the starboard quarter berth. On my boat it's become a storage area.... I've seriously considered converting it to a lazarette by cutting an opening through the existing cockpit storage box...
If I block it in as shown in the pic, I see that probably the best option will be to create a new table top that will span the two seat bases in order to create the full bed. Using a pedestal style mount, the table can be installed and removed on a removable pole and pedestal base. When stored, it could be put on top of the new built-in, and there could be a recessed feature in the top of the new built in so that the pdedstal receiver cup will drop in.

My wife wants to be able to use a table, so that will probably happen, if I go this route.

On the aft dinette seat, yeah, getting into the starboard quarter berth was almost impossible for me. The raw water coolling seacock is under there, so access was critical. Modifying the dinette seat back was really pretty easy. It could look better, as I simply cut down the existing back and re-installed the trim, but I am learning whewre to buy new fiddle molding and radius trim, so I can redo that seat back real easy and bring the fit and finish up to a level I am happy with, when I get the time....

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
Here is how I perceive the table might work. Stored it would fit under the starboard cushion. When in use, we would rotate it 90 degrees and install it on a removable stainless pedestal base. This would hopefully allow one person to set on the new storage base, creating a u-shaped dinette that would service at least three, two on the old dinette seats and one on the new one.

Without the steel pedestal base it would rest in the stock table top receiver slots to allow it to be used as a bed. Add a filler cushion, and voila, done.

'Got enough foam already to go ahead and build that extra cushion too.... :)

See what forum participation gets ya???? Great ideas!

Attachments

Jan 7, 2012
catalina 22 Cave Run Lake
Looking good, get ready for my boat next year! You can do the same to mine. Lol. I gotta read this thread end to end.

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
Phil, I'm curious about the teak doors/drawers you're installing. Are you building them from scratch or buying a pre fab unit? I'd love to add something like that to our 27, but my woodworking skills aren't up to the task of making my own.

Lots of great ideas.

Rob
Santa Cruz

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
Phil, I'm curious about the teak doors/drawers you're installing. Are you building them from scratch or buying a pre fab unit? I'd love to add something like that to our 27, but my woodworking skills aren't up to the task of making my own.

Lots of great ideas.

Rob
Santa Cruz
The ones I have added came from a donor boat. The ones i am considering would be purchased. For the money, it is hard to beat prefab teak components available. The store here at SBO has teak on sale right now, something to consider

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
Eureka!!!!

I had an obvious "duh" moment. The starboard aft "pilot" berth cushion is the last piece of upholstery to re-cover. After throwing the cushion down to the shop floor I was standing there staring at the motor's raw-water intake seacock, aft of the gas tank under a plate and under the big bulky cushion. It is a real pain to lift that big heavy cushion to open and close the seacock. Who says it has to be one cushion??????

I am going to cut the existing hunk of foam into at least two cushions, may be three. It will make it easier, and therefore I will be more apt to close the seacock more often....

Stay tuned for more pics of that. In the meantime, here are some accent pillow shots...

Attachments

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
Here is the cut plan I think will be best. The old foam will be cut into three pieces. The small center portion shown to the bottom will be cut out and upholstered separately. I would do two, maybe but am concerned about having enough material. We will see.

The small cushion will have some pull tabs seen in on the seam making it only necessary to remove the small cushion to access the seacock.

Glad I stopped to study this....

Attachments

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
Foam was 1/2 off today so I bought some more for cockpit cushions. Taking a multi-cushion approach.

I am cutting away for the tiller pilot but will make a snap-in piece to fill that gap for anchor or socializing.

More updates to follow. I bought enough vinyl to get started but I will need more.

Attachments

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
So, before we get into lots of questions, this is open cell foam. Been there and done that on two other boats, and it is fine for the sailing we do.

I am totally comfortable using it for this boat.

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
Brief work Christmas Eve. Aft cushion cut and fit....

I am going to try an experiment. On a day sailor, you spend the most time on your butts in the cockpit. I went and bought some memory foam. Cheap. I think I may either put a uniform layer on top of the high density or do it short as an under-leg bolster.

It's all about being comfy....

Attachments

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
Okay. Granted, it's not closed cell. Granted this is more for daysailing. BUT.......

HOLY COW is this comfortable!!!!!

Just glued on the starboard sections of memory foam and marked them for vinyl. Curiosity got the better of me so I bucked them back up the ladder to the boat. Sitting down I felt like I was in a mattress commercial.

This is not for everyone and I still gotta finish these and use them but at the moment I like what I feel! This will really be nice for social hour with guests!

Attachments