C-27 Refit/Refurb

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
Painful lesson... We will see how this works out. Got a new stud ordered today. Hopefully I can get the cup past the formed wire after carefully removing old cone.... This may not be the end of it, and I might have to get a new hunk of wire.... Forgetting to use the Tef-Gel has cost me AT LEAST $41.00, (cost of part and freight) and it might end up costing parts to make a complete new shroud....

Ahh, the impressionist art. I called that "Filller Stain Droplets Over Splatter That Looks Like Spider" Kind of a deconstructed thing...

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
Looking back at to-do lists it is often good to review progress:

I grabbed this from a previous page an decided some red ink was appropriate. Red items are now completed!!!!!!!

Before splashing:
* Re-touch early Kiwi-Grip installation to match recent efforts, (separate story, but be sure to ask)
* Wetsand, buff, polish and wax topsides and the remaining white gelcoat
* Build wooden A-frame or other trailer-based machine to help step the mast
* Purchase new standing rigging and re-rig the mast
* Siphon stale gasoline and put fresh in with new fuel filter plus spares
* Change motor oil
* Test run motor on fake-a-lake to make sure thermostat is working properly
* Install new Suunto B-116 compass, (or comparable) or cover nasty hole with a plate of some sort
* Purchase new mainsheet hardware to go with the new line
* Slap a coat of bottom paint on
* Get Lanocote or Marelube and hit all seacocks...
* Build new dock!!!!!!

Pre or Post-splash
* New faux-leather micro-suede interior cushions, (I may sew them myself)
* Boom kicker purchase and install

Post-splash:
* Kiwi-grip cockpit floor - wait to do this 'til after the boat is out of the shop, to prevent grinding soil into new floor coating
* Rig new loose-footed main with led-aft rigging for outhaul, cunningham/downhaul and reefing

The lake is now 7-8 feet down, so getting rid of the old gas is now going to be critical. AND despite having put a pump impeller in, it is now over a year old, and has sat only in one position this entire time. I might get to put a new impeller in to replace the brand new one I installed, if I ever get waer back in the lake. Another dose of Marvel Mystery Oil for the pistons and rings is probably a prudent thing....

Alas, the trials of a land-locked boat owner....

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
New Transom Paint!

We finally got the transom painted today. Base clear finish is a good match to the hull gel.

Next step is to sit and watch it dry. Wait about 4 days and then wet-sand and polish. Then the new name goes on, L.L.Attitudes II. Yes we had an informal name removal ceremony, and we will have a re-naming ceremony as well.

I got rid of the old fuel tank vent and drilled it open for a new stainless flush-mount vent. I also am replacing the chalky old bilge pump thru-hulls with stainless. The transom is going to look a lot classier with the updated stainless hardware as opposed to stock plastic.

Attachments

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
Who else knows how a one-year-old can slow down progress??? :D. My son is a blast and I love him dearly. He is worth taking the time away from the boat, despite my desire to get it done.

I snuck out to the shop for a few hours today. After a while mom and son came out to check on dad. Mom let him "drive" the jetboat for a little bit today while i worked. Hopefully he continues to like boats and water. Anyway.....

I was at the IBEX boat builder's show last week and got inspired. A little. Got the random orbit sander out and went through 800, 1500, 3000 grits on a 4-foot section of the port topsides. Then I went through rubbing compound on 3M wool pad up to Finesse-it on a yellow pad. Finally Meguire's #26 yellow carnauba. This sure takes it out of you but the results are worth it.

I also went to the transom now that it has had a few weeks to out-gas and laid in a new stainless thru-hull just to look. The new name, new stainless thru hulls and gas tank vent will really give the old girl a nice looking rear end! I need to wet sand and polish the paint and then the transom will start going back together. I think I am going to mill some new swim ladder treads from some synthetic decking. Watch for that progress report when I get there.

Here are three pics from tonight. Enjoy!

Attachments

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Aw shucks,, Phil, it's gonna start looking like WORK pretty soon. :)

Glad you're still having fun. Happy fatherhood, he's got a great model.

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
Aw shucks,, Phil, it's gonna start looking like WORK pretty soon. :)

Glad you're still having fun. Happy fatherhood, he's got a great model.

Nah Stu, the work starts when I fire up the sewing machine.

L.L.Attitides II is going to get a new set of interior cushions. I bought the foam to make the new additions to the stock cushions a few weeks back when the local shop had foam for half-price, nice dense 3" stuff. Then Friday, on my way home from the airport I stopped in my favorite wholesale material haunt. They have a good selection of the micro-fiber-based fake leather that looks and feels like leather and has the wiping effect that a naturally sueded bomber jacket, but has the breathability of cotton and the stain resistance of microfiber.

I picked out the darker of the two rolls in the attached pic and bought 20 yards. More than enough for existing and new cushions plus a few throw pillows. I think we are going to experiment with cover pattern modifications that will allow the cushions to have a pillow-top added. This will shave another few years off of the old girl...

If I get frustrated I have a neighbor who has an upholstery shop too. I can take the new foam pieces, clearly marked, and the old cusihions and have her do it for a fee. I am not sure I want to know what the fee will be but I got the foam and I got the fabric so somewhere somehow a sewing machine is going to be going to work.... :)

Attachments

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
The transom started going back together last night. A couple of pics of progress are below. I replaced the old chalky plastic thru-hulls with something a little dressier as mentioned previously. I also popped in a new flush-mount tank vent.

I still need to work over the swim ladder, adding new step treads and cleaning it up in general. I am going to try some synthetic decking material to fabricate the treads with. We will see how that experiment goes but know the current wood ones are too far gone.

Slowly slowly slowly...

Attachments

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
Finally got the mast rebuilt, new wiring, new amplified omni-directional TV antenna, new ball-bearing sheaves, new all-line halyards, all new standing rigging, new spreaders, spreader brackets, leather caps, etc. Basically a total rebuild!

It was time to get the mast back up off the floor for winter 3 storage, ( I hate that 3 part, water is 9-10 ft. down now, someone park us a hurricane remnant over the lake, please). I decided to store it off the ground where it is not hanging directly over the boat where I am working, but rather hanging with the base close enough that I can connect wiring. the mast is hanging basically 90-degrees from the boats centerline, with the mast base just above the forward hatch.

'Hooked up the cable from the antenna to the boat, fired up the TV and did a channel scan. 13-channels of HD, 50 miles from the nearest tower, the antenna hanging sideways instead of level/normal, and INSIDE the metal shop! Granted the doors were open and that helped bounce the signal in, somehow, but still, I am pretty pleased with channel count. I can't wait to see how many the boat will get when the mast is mounted the way it is designed!

Just noticed, I need to reset the clock annd date on the TV.... At least its not flashing 12:00

Attachments

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
I promise this is synthetic material. The photo might make you think it's real wood but these were made from synthetic decking. We will see how it fairs but looking this good, I might consider replacing all brightwork.

The stuff was cut, milled, and fitted, then a water-thin coat of Helmsman poly mixed with thinner was laid on/in to even out the color.

Attachments

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
I didn't like the color of the old lettering so I ordered more locally and reapplied the name tonight. Also rehung the swim ladder

Attachments

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
Got a few hours in tonight. Tying loose ends up is the best description for tonight's work....

Since first installed, the Sony radio I installed in the port-side hanging hanging locker had only a hunk of wire shoved into the antenna connection. This is SO not correct... From experience the amplified mast-head omni antenna works very well for FM. Trouble is, the amplifier and RG6 connectors are behind the TV just starboard past the compression post in the head. Long run is around under V-berth. Short run is straight across. Short run won. See first pic below. "Philippine Mahogany" from a 62 Chris Craft comes to the rescue. I cut a rabbet in the wood and pre-drilled for stainless screws and then quickly rubbed with the stain I made up for this boat. A thin wiping coat and a day later we have the RG6 tucked up and hidden. I like it.

I also recently bought a solar at vent. After much consideration I determined the hatch was the easiest and safest place to install it. A 4.5 inch hole on the centerline was easy. Marking out 8 screw locations after the fact was a little more tedious. I got it all laid out after thinking it through a little.

Prior to mounting I am gonna sand the round area directly under the fan to remove the non-skid. I will probably extend out a little and then lay on a smooth coat of Kiwi-Grip, providing a round smooth area to mount the fan to. Then out to the edge of the molded-in non-skid I think I am going to go ahead and lay on a coat of textured Kiwi-Grip. Next week......

That's about all the news for tonight. Enjoy pics below

image-2414292711.jpg

image-1746158311.jpg

image-3273444062.jpg

image-3567392987.jpg

image-853727366.jpg

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
Playing hookie this week. My trusty electric meat carving knife made quick work of cutting new foam for the port settee back. I cut this from brand new 3" foam. I also added some foam to the base cushion on the closest aft corner where the original upholstery had a cut-out to clear the right-hand galley extension.

A few hours later with the help of my trusty sewing machine I have most of the port settee reupholstery work done. I still need to install zippers, add several layers of polyfill, and finish stuffing the end bolsters, but I think I can get that done. The big sewing is complete, at least here.

I am using a sueded microfiber material that looks like old sofa leather or a bomber jacket. This stuff is really easy to work with! The lack of fullness showing in the pics is on purpose, so after the extra stuffing is installed, there is room for the skins to fill out and puff up.

I have my work cut out for me this winter, but they as say, idle hands.... :D

Enjoy the pics

Attachments

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
merlinuxo said:
That looks great Phil! What kind of machine are you using?
It is a light duty Singer machine I bought several years ago. I have access to a walking-foot Nicci but this fabric his easy enough with the Singer... I have been impressed with what it is capable of!

Dec 11, 2008
catalina C27 stillwater
More sewing.... I am crosseyed from all this stitching today!!!!

The new upholstery fabric looked too "flat" on the stock foam, so some 1" poly upholstery batting was glued to the foam inserts for the port settee this morning. They are now softer and much more full looking. I am pleased.

After fixing the port side I dug in on the dinette. The goal is more of a u-shaped seating area so one new piece of foam was cut for the back. I got three cushions torn apart, newly sewed and re-stuffed today. I also made a quick square throw-pillow while drinking a nice cold beer. Two more cushions and the dinette is done, then all that's left is the starboard quarter berth and the V-berth. It's going quicker than I imagined....

Here are the day's pics:

Attachments