Assortment of cheap fixes on Cat 22

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Just got my tohatsu sail pro back from the shop (under 5 years old so still under warranty for some things) because it decided to quit and backfire when put in gear and advancing the throttle. re start just fine but only runs just above idle and needed partial choke. Well had visions of major carb problems etc. Turns out was a sticky choke linkage. He lubed it and gave it a quick fuel system flush and all is better. I just did not see it on cursory exam. So for 124 bucks which included a new fuel filter and spark plug I am back in business. Gotta love these engines. They recommend changing the filter yearly regardless of time uses and same for plug. Sounds like a plan, and will lube the chock linkage too!

Lazy1

Aug 23, 2019
Catalina 22 13425 A driveway in Pittsburgh
They recommend changing the filter yearly regardless of time uses and same for plug.
Can you explain that? Seems like advise I need and want to understand :)

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
Probably not a bad idea. I run a Tohatsu made 3.5 hp four stroke that has been flawless in operation until it wasn't....right when I needed it. Turns out, my compulsive stowing of all things aboard my boat resulted in saving the day with a new spark plug installation while slowly drifting away from the dock I was trying to reach. It fired up on the first pull after that and I won't leave the dock without a spare plug in the boat bag.

Apr 28, 2020
Catalina 22 Lake Monroe
Ok So here is the explanation for the remote on the bulkhead. Found a 4 lite LED stick up set in Sam's Club, has batteries included, 4 lites, stick up pads and a remote. The remote can change the color to white, blue, green or red and dim them as well. Only real trick is wipe down the mount surface with acetone to get a good stick. If problem area I used a pair of stick on velcro pads in one spot. Backup is since the light unscrews from its back plate with a twist you can even put a small short screw in to hold it up. I put one over galley, one over nav station, one over forward dinette compartment on port and last one over my hear area on stbd setee, nice lite for reading. Each can be turned on individually too by just tapping until right color is on. Location of remote lets me reach in at night and put all lights on low red with a click.View attachment 154526 View attachment 154527 View attachment 154528
Just grabbed some of these. Like the idea of reaching in and turning on some light. Very convenient.

Feb 9, 2020
Catalina 22 Louisville Sailing Club
Just grabbed some of these. Like the idea of reaching in and turning on some light. Very convenient.
I just installed the same lights yesterday. I like them. I also just ran LEDs like on Stingy Sailors. They provide great working lights in the boat. Can't wait for weather to allow me to get her on the water.

Sep 14, 2014
The latest version of those puck lights not only operate with pushing on lens and remote but are motion sensitive too!

Sep 14, 2014
The change filter and plug yearly probably is so the 5 year warranty on everything else is supportable. That way if you skip it they can slide out of covering something. But my theory on such things is not about how often you use something causing a problem if not maintained but rather the thing you do not use very often and neglect to maintain. I too carry a spare plug, and will get a filter for the tool box too. Suspenders and belt, hope for the best , but plan for the worst.

Sep 14, 2014
Update on sail pro, went out for sail other day, worked fine, runs good under load and even restarts on second pull when you need it for a bridge break, like under this sort of bridge, where you have an old span, a new span and another completed span, all of which screws with the wind in the passage thru, hence the motor in idle just in case.
20200516_143444.jpg

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Wow... that definitely looks like a place I'd keep the motor running on idle. It is not hard to imagine things going sideways fast.:yikes:

Sep 14, 2014
Yep, wind from south at 10 knots, under bridge becalmed then wicked north gusts at around 6-10 knots, then when thru back to south normal. weird!

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Yep, wind from south at 10 knots, under bridge becalmed then wicked north gusts at around 6-10 knots, then when thru back to south normal. weird!
Jack,
Appears that new bridge will open up additional cruising north of the old PB bridge now that mast clearance will no longer be an issue. Never was able to sail Escambia Bay nor East Bay when I used to charter there.

Sep 14, 2014
Quick prep for T S Cristobal, It is in Gulf now for about 30 hours, so being NE of it , we already got the feeder bands and wind and rain from it. Surge looks like about 2 feet so far based on pix below of level ramp to dock that is usually at 30-40- degree slope. Boat is double fender-ed and tight against the floating dock, only problem was had to move the next guys stern line up the post that the floating dock ring rides up on so it would not foul. Why some of these clowns have not figured out how the floating docks work is a mystery. Too much boat not enough brains.
TS Cristobal (3).jpg
TS Cristobal (4).jpg

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Unbelievable! Think that I would have Harbor master explain to him how it works!! Jack, is that Marina on Bayou Chico?

Sep 14, 2014
Yep, Yacht harbor marina in Bayou Chico. Recheck this morning, now uphill walk on ramp, that line was taut down into the ring on the finger pier. I untied it and tied it to the perfectly good cleat you can see near the stern of his boat. What a jerk!

Sep 14, 2014
Well barely into hurricane season and already up to Dolly (what a name for a storm) on the list, so looking like we may get western here this summer and early fall with named storms.