25 foot trailer sailor: max capacity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 28, 2012
Wavelength 24 Columbia, SC
My load limit for the MacGregor 26-D I used to sail was 8 people with anyone over 230 pounds counted as two. Don't put 12 on a water ballasted 25 - 26 footer unless you super glue six butts to the cabin floor near the dagger board trunk.

Jul 22, 2011
Mariner Yacht Co.(NH) Mariner 28 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
SB,
As others have noted 6 would be about max. The "formula" given is for small dinghies and assumed passenger weights of 150 lbs. It also assumes the weight will be down low, below the gunnels. Passengers in the cockpit or on deck will raise the center of gravity and therefore the tippiness factor, dramatically. Last year a 34 foot powerboat with 27 on board, the "right" number according to the formula, capsized when hit by wakes after a fireworks display, killing two children who were in the cabin wearing life vests. Remember that if you are in the cabin during a capsize, you will have to swim down to swim up, and wearing a life vest can prevent that. I had a Mac 2-22, and while Macs are great boats, I'd keep the keel locked down, and be very conservative on the number of guests. Around here, the post fireworks exodus usually includes a few BWI citations, another reason to exercise extreme caution.
Lou

Jun 10, 2013
Pearson 30 Oxnard
Acecain

We have a very large crowd coming this year so we will be watching the show from the dock.
Better safe than sorry.:dance:

Jul 21, 2009
2 26s Point du chene
I called Macgregor a year ago asking how many people could get on a 25. A factory's "technical adviser" told me that in his opinion you could put 6 adults on Macgregor 25 in any conditions and sail safely. I had 4 adults and 3 average 12-year olds on it with 1-2 foot waves and felt completely safe. However, it depends on the size of people on board as well. I would not go over 8 adults (or equivalent) in ANY conditions, and if I had 8 adults on board, the keel would be down and I would NOT put up any sail.
Actually in some conditions a storm jib or small bit of jib is safer than motoring.

Jul 21, 2009
2 26s Point du chene
Everytime you take a boat out of dock there is at least a 1% chance something unplanned will happen. I have every piece of safety equipment you can think of on my 91 Mac 26 - including safety harneses and both gas lifevests and old fashion vests for each person - each equiped with a whistle and light. Am I 100% sure when I leave - not ever.

May 26, 2009
Oday 28 West Vancouver
I'm sure that San Diego's annual celebrations are far safer than the fireworks competitions that we have in English Bay in Vancouver, where many boaters who never otherwise go out after dark will have poor lights, worse navigation skills, and be in various states of intoxication. I prepared to join them one year, but then thought better of it.

Jan 22, 2008
Macgregor 25 Dana Point CA
A trailer sailor is the worst boat to load with lots of people, it just isn't stable enough as people move around to get a good view. Let's not forget that San Diego bay has been the site of much tragedy during 4th of July fire works the last couple of years. More over there are more than a couple of cases of overloaded McGregor's turning turtle. I may have missed it, but do you have sufficient life vest for all on board. Do you have children's life vests for anyone under 12. Those on board 12 and under MUST be wearing their life vests well on the water. The fine is steep. In Dana Point I have watched a number of tickets written (no warnings) when boats head out with a kid on the rail, not wearing a vest.
You don't want to be a headline, and you don't want the civil and criminal liability of being wrong. Murphy is a sailor, if it can go wrong it will go wrong.

Plus, small boat, lots of people, warm day, likely sun burnt, not that great of time.

But that is just my opinion based on 50 years of boating.

Jul 1, 2010
Catalina 350 Lake Huron
My thinking is that the max capacity on a July 4th night is the number of people you are used to taking out on your boat, and no more. So that may be conservative, but night time boating added to many boats with improper lights / no lights, and drinking (not necessarily on your boat) adds enough confusion to the mix, as it is. Why add to it by packing more people on board than you're used to having on?

The 2 tragedies I'm familiar with are linked to below. I'm sure neither operator felt they were doing anything unsafe, though history has shown otherwise. Whatever you decide to do, be safe and have fun.

http://www.ne-ts.com/ar/ar-407capsize.html

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...-capsized-july-4-oyster-bay-article-1.1108313

Jan 4, 2007
Hunter 30 Centerport
Last year here on Long Island a 32' power boat was loaded with about 30 people to watch the fireworks in Oyster Bay. The were "just" there to watch on the bay and here was lots of room aboard.

After the show and probably after a little partying in the mad dash home the boat turned turtle in a rain squal and wake killing 2 small children. There were life perservers on hand for all.

Moral.... When considering passengers less is more. My advice 6 people Max.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 430 Beaumont, Texas TX
Overloaded

Two weekends ago in the Kemah, Texas channel we witnessed a 40+ footer with at least 15 people aboard. The CG had them pulled over, and I know they were checking to see life preservers for each.

Jun 3, 2013
Catalina 27 Calusa Marina Goodland Fl
I think it depends on the area you will be in and the amount of boat traffic present, When everyone starts to leave in power boats it will be rougher seas than usual so I think no more than 4-6 people should be on board

Oct 17, 2011
Ericson 29 Southport..
StinkBug: Please don't find this rude, but it seems like you have already made up your mind that you are going to load your boat with friends for the 4th, no matter what others here are going to recommend and all you are doing is trying to get others here to agree. As both a retired Naval Officer and CG 100 ton Captain, I can tell you that there is a 99% chance that nothing bad will happen if you load your boat with 8 or more people. I'm just not EVER willing to take that 1% chance if I have other options. Yea, it is really nice to take people out for a "better view" of fireworks. After all, sharing your love of the water is part of what it's all about. But I really hope you will think hard about the consequences of what could happen. Do you really want to be that close to "the edge of the envelope" (sorry for the fighter pilot comparison)? Just sayin...
I think....that the very idea that a man with these credentials, and has been a member of this forum for over five years, and has never felt compelled to respond to any other posts whatsoever, and weighed in on this one.............

........that would be the advice I took.

(And the others that responded equally).

Dec 26, 2012
MacGregor 25 San Diego
Sorry if anyone felt I was trying to get affirmation on something I had already decided, that's not the case at all. The question was, how many is a safe limit? I asked because I do, in fact, want to be safe. Seems like a lot of you put the limit right around where I do, and a few....well I think you might be taking safety to the extreme. I think anyone who is afraid to watch fireworks in the bay with 4 people on a boat this size might be a little paranoid, but to each his own. Even the rental companies that have big liability issues to worry about aren't afraid of that one.

I have plenty of adult life vests, and there wont be any kids on board, so there's no issue there. I'm very, very familiar with the waters I'll be in, and have done this same trip out on the 4th in a number of different boats. Last year I was on a Catalina of the same length with 6 people, and felt we could have easily fit a couple more, but the Cat 250 is a little roomier in the cockpit than my Mac I will admit. Yes the water does get a little choppy when everyone leaves, but I've really never really had any issues with it. Also unlike a lot of people, I'm generally not in any rush to get back to the dock. The traffic both on the water and on land is gonna suck no matter what. I find it's a lot easier to just hang out at anchor a little longer and let everyone else race each other into gridlock.

For those bringing up the trailer sailor issues, please keep in mind my Mac25 IS NOT water ballasted. It has a 700lb iron swing keel that always gets locked down as soon as the boat is in the water. I know some other boats have had bad things happen for various reasons, but not all trailerable boats are created equal. If we're gonna discuss the design of the boat, we should be looking at the design of THIS boat, and not another boat by the same builder, but greatly different design.

To be honest I'm not sure how many people will want to go out on the 4th. I know 6 will be solidly, no question safe. I think 8 would be too, but wanted to ask. Beyond that I dont care, cause it'd just be too crowded, and yeah probably unsafe too. I definitely dont wanna be on the edge of the envelope, I just wanna know where the envelope is so that I can make a decision and limit the invites accordingly.

May 28, 2013
macgregor Macgregor 26 M everett
if you post this question you shouldn't own a boat.don't die

DONT DIE is rule #1 from day one when your born....this seems like a rediculous post from any perspective.
get with the program and have a nice day and enjoy the 4th of July..
don't die doing it...use your head...
thank you.
Stephen
s/v VALHALLA
Seattle, Wa

StinkBug: Please don't find this rude, but it seems like you have already made up your mind that you are going to load your boat with friends for the 4th, no matter what others here are going to recommend and all you are doing is trying to get others here to agree. As both a retired Naval Officer and CG 100 ton Captain, I can tell you that there is a 99% chance that nothing bad will happen if you load your boat with 8 or more people. I'm just not EVER willing to take that 1% chance if I have other options. Yea, it is really nice to take people out for a "better view" of fireworks. After all, sharing your love of the water is part of what it's all about. But I really hope you will think hard about the consequences of what could happen. Do you really want to be that close to "the edge of the envelope" (sorry for the fighter pilot comparison)? Just sayin...

Dec 26, 2012
MacGregor 25 San Diego
I'm sure most every person who has ever died while boating didn't plan on dying, and I'm sure plenty of them thought they were using their heads. I dont know how you could see a post asking specifically "what is safe" to be a ridiculous post. Seems to me "dont die" is a lot more ridiculous, as it's really not helpful in any way shape or form.

May 28, 2013
OK YOUR RIGHT. thank you.
my rule of thumb. if i have to ask if this is RETARDED. don't do it.
thx and i appreciatey our rule of thumb.

May 28, 2013
here's a big thing. im norwegian. i've owned boat's since i was 8. i've sailed in russia, norway, bering sea. lakes, river's and oceans all over the world.
im 45 and just retired and downsized from my beloved cal 34 to a macgregor 26M> i've run boat's up to 349 feet.
i guess my experience defeats me when it comes to giving advice...im not seeing it from the point of view of a guy that doesn't know any better. i apologize. again. thx. have a nice. day.

May 28, 2013
here's is a statistic EVERYONE SHOULD KNOW.
99% of drowning victims in a boating accident are not wearing a life vest.
my friend, olaf woody died two weeks ago in tulalip bay. they found his body 5 or so miles around the corner.
they found his wife/girlfriend alive clutching to a life vest 2 hrs after the mayday call about 2 miles away and bout 2 hrs later.
be safe. if your watching fireworks you are most likely close to shore. keep your emergency equipment handy. issue everyone a lifejacket.
you as the 'MASTER' is responsible for every member's life.
NOT A MEMBER OF THE MACGREGOR SAILOR'S website.
have fun.
Stephen
s/v VALHALLA
Seattle, Wa

May 28, 2013
seems like a nightmare in the making instead of a happy 4th

if Heavy Seas pickup close your companion way hatch and tell everyone to go down below and stay as low as possible and stay on the 'high side' of the vessel.
Stephen
s/v VALHALLA

here's is a statistic EVERYONE SHOULD KNOW.
99% of drowning victims in a boating accident are not wearing a life vest.
my friend, olaf woody died two weeks ago in tulalip bay. they found his body 5 or so miles around the corner.
they found his wife/girlfriend alive clutching to a life vest 2 hrs after the mayday call about 2 miles away and bout 2 hrs later.
be safe. if your watching fireworks you are most likely close to shore. keep your emergency equipment handy. issue everyone a lifejacket.
you as the 'MASTER' is responsible for every member's life.
NOT A MEMBER OF THE MACGREGOR SAILOR'S website.
have fun.
Stephen
s/v VALHALLA
Seattle, Wa

Status
Not open for further replies.