25 foot trailer sailor: max capacity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 26, 2012
MacGregor 25 San Diego
I'm in the process of making some plans for the 4th of july and trying to iron out a few details. Every year we go out on a boat to watch the fireworks here in San Diego, but this will be the first year on my boat.

I have yet to find one of those nice data tags with the maximum weight/# of people on it and I'm wondering how many is too many. Generally I wont sail with more than 4 plus my dog, mainly for comfort reasons, but for the fireworks we will not be sailing just motoring in calm waters inside the harbor. Basically just motoring from the dock to a good viewing spot, dropping anchor for a little while, then motoring back. Right now I'm trying to figure out how many people I can invite. Obviously it'd be nice to be able to bring a couple extra friends, but I dont wanna do anything unsafe.

Nov 19, 2011
MacGregor 26S Hampton, VA
Boats over 20' usually don't have max passengers listed but...

Length x width / 15.

So 25x7.5/15=12.5

12x150=1800 lbs including gear

500 pounds of gear (anchors, coolers, fuel and general debris)

1800-500=1300 max weight

1300/150 per person = 8

So 12 passengers or 1800 pounds whichever comes first.

Dec 26, 2012
MacGregor 25 San Diego
Ahh ok, I was wondering how they figured the math on all that. Thanks for the breakdown!

Feb 5, 2010
MacGregor 25 Oroville, WA
Happy 4th

I take a boat load out on the 4th. Much roomier and better viewing if you leave the boom ashore.

Jun 17, 2009
Macgregor 25 Canton
More than six people and I would start thinking about chucking some overboard...for sanity if not safety. It's a small boat after all.

May 4, 2005
Macgregor 26d Ft Lauderdale, Fl
Re: Mac25 max capacity?

in my area there is a lot of powerboat wakes right after the show is over. can be pretty rough going in.

6 would be my max.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
You could not pay me to load a 25' swing keeler with any more than 6 adults even for just fireworks... What if all 8-12 non boaters all of a sudden move to one side to see something......????? Heck even with 6 you could be in trouble if that happened....

12 would be dangerous, IMHO, and a solid case for a Darwin award....... Heck I would not load 12 on my 36' 19,000 pound vessel.

Be safe, and please don't become another statistic...!!

Piotr

Dec 6, 2010
MacGregor 25 Rock Hall, MD

I called Macgregor a year ago asking how many people could get on a 25. A factory's "technical adviser" told me that in his opinion you could put 6 adults on Macgregor 25 in any conditions and sail safely. I had 4 adults and 3 average 12-year olds on it with 1-2 foot waves and felt completely safe. However, it depends on the size of people on board as well. I would not go over 8 adults (or equivalent) in ANY conditions, and if I had 8 adults on board, the keel would be down and I would NOT put up any sail.

Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada

NWJ!! Which means No Way Jose'. No more than 6-8 adults depending on their weight. One thing that wasn't mentioned is if you overload you might ship water through the cable tubing. Also that much weight will turn the boat into a tug. Also, do ya have enough PFDs?

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
Catalina 30 San Diego/ Dana Point, Ca.
In San Diego on July 4th there is no reason to go out on the water due to the excellent views from almost anywhere. Please research both the deadly capsizing Jackdaw referred to as we'll as the child killed at Christmas a few years ago that was hit by Coast Guard as they sat on and in a small powerboat watching the boat parade. SD is busy and 4th is crazy, why put yourself and loved ones in that situation.
Enjoy the 4th down there... We'll be there too on the big boat at the bali hai side of the entrance to shelter island... Fantastic viewing of at least 3 different shows! That is IF they don't all go off at one time as it happened last year! 15 minutes and ??? Amount of dollars in 2 seconds! Would not have wanted to be in the water underneath that :)

Dec 26, 2012
MacGregor 25 San Diego

Did you guys miss the part where I said that we do this EVERY YEAR. I know exactly how it is on the water on the 4th in San Diego. I was actually on a Catalina 250 anchored about 200 yards away from one of the barges that prematurely exploded last year. Also there's a big difference between that water ballasted 26 with 12 people on it, and my iron ballasted 25, which will definitely not have that many. Probably 8 at the most. I do remember that story, and yeah I'd like to avoid that result, which is exactly why I asked what a safe limit is. Still 2 very different boats though.

Dec 26, 2012
MacGregor 25 San Diego
What if all 8-12 non boaters all of a sudden move to one side to see something......?????
LOL, have you been on a Mac25? The only way 8 people could all suddenly move to one side is by literally standing on top of one another. Pretty sure none of my friends are quite that anxious to move 4' closer to the action. Past experience says they will all be firmly planted in their seats chatting and looking straight up at the show.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX

Sounds like you'll need 8 PFDs, and a reliance on your guests' attentions. Have fun and be safe!

Dec 26, 2012
MacGregor 25 San Diego

Enough PFDs for everybody is no problem at all, not to mention isn't it a legal requirement?

Like I said, it's gonna be a pretty mellow, slow motor in the harbor. I most likely wont even have the sail/boom attached, much less have any sail up.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX

Yep, there's that law thing.

I have also followed the old tenet "Never leave the dock without a sail hanked on and ready".

Jul 16, 2012
Hunter 38 Deltaville, VA
July 4th

One observation -- calm waters going to your anchor site can turn into rough, choppy waters once the show if over and all the boats are heading for home at the same time.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Dang. Stinkbug is lucky. I can't get anyone to go to our fireworks display. Everyone is afraid of the drunken boaters that won't be able to see us. I'll be lighted like this. So I guess I'll only need one life jacket. *hrumph!*

Attachments

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 400 HAMPTON
StinkBug: Please don't find this rude, but it seems like you have already made up your mind that you are going to load your boat with friends for the 4th, no matter what others here are going to recommend and all you are doing is trying to get others here to agree. As both a retired Naval Officer and CG 100 ton Captain, I can tell you that there is a 99% chance that nothing bad will happen if you load your boat with 8 or more people. I'm just not EVER willing to take that 1% chance if I have other options. Yea, it is really nice to take people out for a "better view" of fireworks. After all, sharing your love of the water is part of what it's all about. But I really hope you will think hard about the consequences of what could happen. Do you really want to be that close to "the edge of the envelope" (sorry for the fighter pilot comparison)? Just sayin...

Status
Not open for further replies.