25 foot trailer sailor: max capacity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Now that I think of it I think I have seen one of those on the Jeanneau 45DS that my club has. I'll check on Saturday when I take it out again. I wish that was something they put on all boats, it just makes sense.
SB,

Here is some detail on the ABCD ratings. As an interesting note, you are unlikely to see a number larger than 12 on any recreational boat plate... Under International Maine Regulations a boat with 12 people on board is a technically a passenger ship and is burdened with an entirely new set of rules. So the CE stays away from that.

A. OCEAN: Designed for extended voyages where conditions may exceed wind force 8 (Beaufort scale) and significant wave heights of 4 m and above, and vessels largely self-sufficient.

B. OFFSHORE: Designed for offshore voyages where conditions up to, and including, wind force 8 and significant wave heights up to, and including, 4 m may be experienced.

C. INSHORE: Designed for voyages in coastal waters, large bays, estuaries, lakes and rivers where conditions up to, and including, wind force 6 and significant wave heights up to, and including, 2 m may be experienced.

D. SHELTERED WATERS: Designed for voyages on small lakes, rivers, and canals where conditions up to, and including, wind force 4 and significant wave heights up to, and including, 0,5 m may be experienced.

Dec 29, 2008
Treworgy 65' LOA Custom Steel Pilothouse Staysail Ketch St. Croix, Virgin Islands
Thanks for posting these - very interesting. By these definitions, the Great Lakes would fit the Offshore and, occasionally, the Ocean categories!

Aug 28, 2012
Wavelength 24 Columbia, SC
Yikes! My 700 pound Lightning (ok, she's old and like most older ladies, she's a bit more than when she was young -- call her 730 pounds), crewed by 3 heavyish folks, was running a crew load (not counting equipment load) of over 500 pounds. That's over 70% of displacement. The last time I had her out was a pleasure sail with 4 adults, and I was probably pretty close to 100% of displacement.

Harry
Wait a second, that does not compute. What your boat weighs empty is commonly called "displacement". It really means "empty boat displaced water weight". When the boat is loaded it rides lower in the water, i.e. displaces more water than when it is empty. Consider an inflatable boat like my Sea Eagle which weighes about 70 pounds yet will safely carry 360 pounds of people weight in white water conditions. It displaces 70 pounds of water when empty. With 360 pounds of load on board it displaces 360 + 70 pounds of water and still it won't sink even if swamped. Using empty boat displacement as a guide to safe loading is nonsense.

Water lines, those stripes around the boat near the water surface, were invented to indicate when a boat is loaded to a reasonable capacity if the load is properly located (meaning balanced fore and aft, side to side, and low in the hull).

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
And your Sea Eagle will turtle in a heartbeat if you load all of that 360 pounds on one side.

Jun 8, 2004
Pearson 26W Marblehead
boat capacity

Ive got a pearson 26W much bigger heavier keel boat 6 is max under any conditions

Status
Not open for further replies.