Complete Refurb - 78 C&C Mega 30'

Feb 11, 2012
C&C Mega 30 Long Point, Lake Erie
Headliners...soft & hard finally finished.
The outer edges of the soft liner that is hanging over the black hull liner will be fastened down behind teak trim that runs the cabin length at the deck and hull joint.
Have to run all new wiring behind them first.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

LucM30

Mar 10, 2016
Nil 30 Gimli
Hi Paul!
I'm the proud new owner of a 1978 MEGA 30 in Manitoba! I've been watching your post for a while now and admire your work. I have my own list of work I want to do. First thing first; paint.

What type of paint did you use? Can you describe the process?

Thanks!
Luc

Feb 11, 2012
Hi Paul!
I'm the proud new owner of a 1978 MEGA 30 in Manitoba! I've been watching your post for a while now and admire your work. I have my own list of work I want to do. First thing first; paint.

What type of paint did you use? Can you describe the process?

Thanks!
Luc
Hey Luc, congrats on the new purchase.

Like any hole in the water of that era, they are a labour of love I suppose.

With regards to the paint and prep process....if you are planning to do as I did, both interior and exterior, oh boy....don't under estimate the time it will take.

Hull above waterline....used Black Interlux Perfection 2 part polyurethane. I sprayed mine...3 coats. Prep & Paint....about 24 hours
Note: near impossible to completely remove the factory Mega imprints....oh well.
Topside.....used Arctic White Interlux Perfection 2 part polyurethane. I rolled and tipped mine...3 coats. Prep & Paint....about 45 hours
Non-slip....used Interlux Interdeck. Rolled two coats. Prep & Paint....about 8 hours
Interior....used Arctic White Interlux Perfection 2 part polyurethane. I rolled and tipped mine...3 coats. Prep & Paint....about 35 hours

All included filling old hardware holes, repairing some minor balsa core damage around old topside hardware, and some fiberglass work when I removed the old cabin trunk instruments.

I would have to add up the receipts for the paint work, but my nearest guess would be around $1600, including paint, reducers, epoxies, sandpapers, rollers, brushes etc.

Follow prep instructions on the Interlux website based on the surface conditions you are working with.

Hope this helps.
Not trying to scare you.... I assume you read my post regarding our goal & budget.
Thanks for the post!

LucM30

Mar 10, 2016
Nil 30 Gimli
Thanks for the prompt reply. That's quite the time commitment! Paint might have to wait until after the season and tackle some smaller projects until it's time to sail this summer.

Keep up the great work! I look forward to your next post

Hey Luc, congrats on the new purchase.

Like any hole in the water of that era, they are a labour of love I suppose.

With regards to the paint and prep process....if you are planning to do as I did, both interior and exterior, oh boy....don't under estimate the time it will take.

Hull above waterline....used Black Interlux Perfection 2 part polyurethane. I sprayed mine...3 coats. Prep & Paint....about 24 hours
Note: near impossible to completely remove the factory Mega imprints....oh well.
Topside.....used Arctic White Interlux Perfection 2 part polyurethane. I rolled and tipped mine...3 coats. Prep & Paint....about 45 hours
Non-slip....used Interlux Interdeck. Rolled two coats. Prep & Paint....about 8 hours
Interior....used Arctic White Interlux Perfection 2 part polyurethane. I rolled and tipped mine...3 coats. Prep & Paint....about 35 hours

All included filling old hardware holes, repairing some minor balsa core damage around old topside hardware, and some fiberglass work when I removed the old cabin trunk instruments.

I would have to add up the receipts for the paint work, but my nearest guess would be around $1600, including paint, reducers, epoxies, sandpapers, rollers, brushes etc.

Follow prep instructions on the Interlux website based on the surface conditions you are working with.

Hope this helps.
Not trying to scare you.... I assume you read my post regarding our goal & budget.
Thanks for the post!

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
Positively one of the most beautiful refurbs I've ever seen. Congratulations, keep up the good work and postings. You're an inspiration to us all.

Feb 11, 2012
"UGLIEST SAILBOAT EVER BUILT" I read somewhere on this forum.
Thanks for the kind words BlowMeAway, beauty is in the eye of the beholder they say.
Positively one of the most beautiful refurbs I've ever seen. Congratulations, keep up the good work and postings. You're an inspiration to us all.

LucM30

Mar 10, 2016
Nil 30 Gimli
I did my research before buying my Mega 30, and the "U" word came up quite often in forums. Maybe its kind of like babies? Lol!

Anyhow, question: I notice you left the forward bulkhead in place. You figure it's structural? What about those handle- looking bars that come forward from the bulkhead? I don't really see a purpose for them... Here's a pic inside mine. Looking aft from where the Head used to be.

I'm asking because I'm going to install a V berth and if that bulkhead isn't necessary at all, more space! If it is I can cut it down and reinforce it, but it would be better and much easier if it were gone!

Thanks!

Feb 11, 2012
I did my research before buying my Mega 30, and the "U" word came up quite often in forums. Maybe its kind of like babies? Lol!

Anyhow, question: I notice you left the forward bulkhead in place. You figure it's structural? What about those handle- looking bars that come forward from the bulkhead? I don't really see a purpose for them... Here's a pic inside mine. Looking aft from where the Head used to be.

Didn't leave "the bulkhead" in place. Took it out and tossed it.
IMO the factory crap pieces did virtually nothing.
Moved the bulkhead support slightly forward and re-designed it out of oak.
Yes, it does support the topside nicely, and it is a noticeable difference.
With regards to those bars....to my knowledge, not a factory application. Likely installed to hang the foul weather gear.

Feb 11, 2012
Swim platform...suspension system almost finished.
Springs will be attached to the ends of the lines so they retract on their own.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Feb 11, 2012
Hatch trim ring....made it from 1" Densitec (Starboard)
C&C never produced these for the Mega that I know of.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Feb 11, 2012
Outboard/ rudder steering connector.
Both rudder & outboard have a 12" pivot point to steering connector rod end. Nearly identical turning radius starboard & port.
Will have it tethered so I don't lose it in the drink.
Still have to install pins...they will be tethered as well.
Clam shell vents for fuel line and electric start/ alternator.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Feb 11, 2012
Dodger finished. Cockpit enclosure nearly there.
Really going to enjoy the outdoor living space...very comfy & roomy.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Feb 11, 2012
Aft solar panels installed...can basically move them in any direction to follow the sun.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited: