Luna, The Story of a Forgotten Catalina 30.

Feb 18, 2022
Catalina 36 Port Orchard
Just a quickie!

It’s in.
C63B7344-DDD1-45FA-ADF2-F7D0163D2D16.jpeg

Working on making the harness for it now, then the engine harness.

Oh yea, I was able to get the transmission in gear, both forward and reverse. Everything works as it should. Now I need to install the cables.

Feb 18, 2022
Catalina 36 Port Orchard
I was so glad for the holiday today. I stayed out on the boat last night and got a few more wires run, and things planned. I used some 5200 Black to glue a piece of teak to the hull so I can mount my ACR but as of 5pm today it was still not cured. How long does that stuff take to cure.

Well I got the panel to engine harness almost finished. Here is the start of the build, I got all the wires cut to length and wrapped in the shield material.
C1118922-05A5-4150-9D84-B79553690B9C.jpeg

Next up is building the plug assembly and lock it down with the heat shrink.
A3633B5C-6EA8-4C38-8D89-2E0707B7970D.jpeg

Next you get to fish the wires through the boat to their new home, wherever that may be.
885892AD-22C7-4D8E-A858-42778C80052B.jpeg

And last is building the plug for the engine end. But there are no pics of that... I haven’t done that part yet. What I did do, was run the charger wires for the batteries, installed a negative bus, and I decided to go with a positive bus on the starting battery, just to make things cleaner. I created the majority of the large cables, and laid them out nice and neat. I found out that the fluorescent light in the salon actually works, and it’s a DC light. Next up is mount the ACR if the 5200 ever dries, and finish the large cables. Then move onto the various systems and get them squared away! I’m close!

Speaking of close… I almost moved the boat out into the bay tonight… almost… I got the throttle cable installed and adjusted, then I moved onto the transmission cable, and as I was testing the throw and motion on it, the cable broke! Grrr… It broke right as the base of the clevis. I was not pushing all that hard on it, and I had not overtightened the nut, it was still just finger tight, but it snapped. Lucky me the piece inside the clevis came right out. I called CD to see what type of warranty these have, but they asked that I call the owner to find out… I will call tomorrow.

here is the broken cable.
AB1D5CBA-499C-406A-ACD2-8460E2A5FDD4.jpeg

Lastly let’s see just how nice the wiring is now for the panel. I will try to get a better pic next time I shove myself inside the lazzarett.

17B39591-2D24-446A-B391-678D64053F25.jpeg

Attachments

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
I like that shield material much better than split loom. What is it and where do you get it?

Feb 18, 2022
Catalina 36 Port Orchard
I like that shield material much better than split loom. What is it and where do you get it?
Yes it’s much better and looks way better than split loom, but it’s difficult to get the wires in. It’s like a Chinese finger trap so you need to compress it to get the wires inside, then stretch it out to move it down the wires. I taped the ends all together to use as a bullet to help everything go together. If you are building a new harness it is well worth the effort. The biggest drawback is you can’t add wires later, you are stuck with what you got.

Here is the exact stuff I used.

They also make this in split form too, but it doesn’t hold the wires as well. I like the non split stuff personally.

Feb 18, 2022
Catalina 36 Port Orchard
I didn’t get much work done today, it was way too hot to be doing some of the work I need. But I did get my replacement cable from CD and installed it. I put my freshly rebuilt water pump on, and made sure I was getting adequate water flow. And I took Luna out into Commencement Bay. I didn’t go far, just a mile out and back but it was nice to do more than sit in the slip.

5961836B-A591-42B9-A7A2-8287A31086CA.jpeg
BFC89629-D667-46A2-A3DF-6DD249FD38EA.jpeg

I do wish I had my sails, there was a perfect breeze going on that would have been fun.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
That is terrific. Was this a first time outing to “Untie the Lines” and move away from the slip?

Feb 18, 2022
Catalina 36 Port Orchard
That is terrific. Was this a first time outing to “Untie the Lines” and move away from the slip?
Yes this was the first time! I was going to do this last weekend but my transmission cable broke when I was adjusting it.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Congrats Mike. You have brought Luna a long way. From being a lost hulk tied to a slip, to now splashing in the waters of Commencement Bay... Very poetic choice that fate had you in Commencement Bay for this first outing.

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
I didn’t get much work done today, it was way too hot to be doing some of the work I need. But I did get my replacement cable from CD and installed it. I put my freshly rebuilt water pump on, and made sure I was getting adequate water flow. And I took Luna out into Commencement Bay. I didn’t go far, just a mile out and back but it was nice to do more than sit in the slip.

View attachment 206691View attachment 206690

I do wish I had my sails, there was a perfect breeze going on that would have been fun.
Are the sails in storage or are they on order.? Looks like you can make your goal of getting to Gig Harbor for the 4th.

Feb 18, 2022
Catalina 36 Port Orchard
The sails are here at the house. I’m still no where close on the electrical side of things so it’s still up in the air. I hope I will make it.

Feb 18, 2022
Catalina 36 Port Orchard
I got a haul out date! Woohoo. She is coming out of the water on August 22. Now I just need a crew to sail her there with me. I’m sailing her from Brown’s Point Marina in Tacoma to Swantown In Olympia. I’m guessing that will be a full day sailing if I can hit the tides right.

I’m not going to make the family reunion this weekend. I’m not feeling well at the moment, and may not even get to go without the boat. Oh well. It gives me a bit more time to get everything done at a less breakneck pace. Next year the boat will be 100% with plumbing as well as sails. Lol.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
I got a haul out date! Woohoo. She is coming out of the water on August 22. Now I just need a crew to sail her there with me. I’m sailing her from Brown’s Point Marina in Tacoma to Swantown In Olympia. I’m guessing that will be a full day sailing if I can hit the tides right.

I’m not going to make the family reunion this weekend. I’m not feeling well at the moment and may not even get to go without the boat. Oh well. It gives me a bit more time to get everything done at a less breakneck pace. Next year the boat will be 100% with plumbing as well as sails. Lol.
If you are motoring rather than sailing it is a very easy day trip. I helped another C30 owner deliver his boat from Anacortes to Olympia in two days. We stopped for the night in Blakley Harbor, left there about 6:00am and arrived in Olympia before 5:00pm and much of that distance was against the current including 3.6knt in the Tac Narrows.

Feb 18, 2022
Catalina 36 Port Orchard
If you are motoring rather than sailing it is a very easy day trip. I helped another C30 owner deliver his boat from Anacortes to Olympia in two days. We stopped for the night in Blakley Harbor, left there about 6:00am and arrived in Olympia before 5:00pm and much of that distance was against the current including 3.6knt in the Tac Narrows.
I know it’s a day sail, but I like company (crew) to enjoy the sail with.

Feb 18, 2022
Catalina 36 Port Orchard
I got out to Luna today and all is good. One of the guys at the marina dove under my boat for me and gave her a good scrape, and let me know she is a shoal keel model. That’s good to know, I only found tall rig info about my boat, there was nothing on my keel. He said the sealife growing on the keel is on there pretty good tho. He didn’t see any obvious damage below the water line and I still had a good zinc on my prop shaft. I’m guessing it has been a very long time since there was any power applied to the boat.

I also replaced the main halyard today. No more green nasty hardened and frayed rope, now I have bright white with green specs. I also ran this back to cockpit, removing one of the spinnaker lines to do so. I’m not planning on running a spinnaker any time soon so this works out fine with me. The jib halyard is next and that will be white with blue specs. This already runs back to the cockpit so it will be a one for one run.

And the last bit of news, I got a call from the upholstery shop, my helm cover and sail cover are both finished and ready to pick up! WOOHOO! I will get those tomorrow.