Luna, The Story of a Forgotten Catalina 30.

Feb 18, 2022
Catalina 36 Port Orchard
I just ordered what I think will be the last of the needed cables and wiring for Luna. It’s coming down to the end here folks, I will hopefully be pulling her out into the Sound here in a week or so! If the weather would cooperate it will be a bit sooner but oh well, we can’t always have it all!

Feb 18, 2022
Catalina 36 Port Orchard
Well some of the goodies arrived, but not enough to really do all the work. I didn’t get done what I wanted, I didn’t realize I left a few key tools at home so things didn’t get done. So what did I do in the 10+ hours I worked on the boat? Well a lot of cleaning happened, my stern light was replaced, my bow nav lights were kinda replaced and the charger was mounted in the port lazzarette. I removed the battery cables and what was left of the engine harness. I think I found the power to the auto pilot. There are a brown and blue wire, in a black cable that used to be hooked directly to the ignition switch. It disappears in the direction of the helm. I didn’t crawl into the aft berth to find out for sure. I should be ready to install everything once it all shows up. I also found out my mast lights are not happy.

Here is my newly cleaned engine bay. This looks so much better than before.
7DF12368-EABB-436C-9180-3D7E532F0D00.jpeg

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
Nice cleaning job, Mike. As a retired navy pilot and maintenance officer it was drilled into me that cleaning was inspecting. I always find it amazing what is found during a deep clean.

Feb 18, 2022
Catalina 36 Port Orchard
Nice cleaning job, Mike. As a retired navy pilot and maintenance officer it was drilled into me that cleaning was inspecting. I always find it amazing what is found during a deep clean.
Oh how I remember those days. I was the LPO of the V1 DC shop. We did plenty of cleaning! :p

Feb 18, 2022
Catalina 36 Port Orchard
Serendipity
ser·en·dip·i·ty
noun
  • 1.the occurrence and development of events by chance in a happy or beneficial way:

And why did I post that definition, you ask… if you didn’t ask, then ask so you can get an answer! Ok, you done asking? Good! A few weeks ago I mentioned I think here that I needed a new compass for my helm. The one that came with the boat is trashed pretty badly. Well I got in a bit of trouble with the landlord because I was keeping a utility trailer behind my house, and we are not supposed to be doing that. So I had to move the trailer. In order for me to be able to push it out of it’s location, I need to remove most of the stuff in it. While removing the stuff, I found a gimbal compass I removed from an old Ericsson 26 I used to own. The gimbal mount was broken, and I never got around to fabricating or finding another one. I got to look a bit closer at the compass and realized it may come apart in a way I can use. So I removed 4 screws and wouldn’t ya know, it is the same as a couple others I have been checking out that cost over $300. This one is a Ritchie and it should fit where the old one was easily! Oh, and I only paid $300 for the Ericsson to begin with (sold it a month later for $600). So now I guess I got over $900 for the old boat! I had completely forgotten I had removed the compass from the boat. Ahhh serendipity!

45B4DAA2-4D0D-41E9-A13C-B81F498F6408.jpeg

Feb 18, 2022
Catalina 36 Port Orchard
Not much going on at the moment, but I got the glasswork done on the muffler. Tomorrow I will sand and trim it down and will soon be able to reinstall the muffler.

DAB376E4-11E9-444A-826F-95F7FF16E2D7.jpeg

Feb 18, 2022
Catalina 36 Port Orchard
I just went out to check on the fiberglass work I had done yesterday. The outside is perfect, and will only need a small amount of finish work to make it smooth so it will not leak. The inside is still slightly tacky, but this didn’t have the same exposure to the air that The outside did. I used a dowel wrapped in waxed paper that I waxed with carnauba wax to use as a form for the inside. It worked perfectly, the dowel came right out and it didn’t stick to or tear the waxed paper. Inside the tube looks good as well. By the time I’m off work, it shouldn‘t be tacky any more.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2022
Catalina 36 Port Orchard
The muffler is finished… well I need a new drain screw but that’s just a trip to the hardware store before I hit the boat next time. I also rebuilt the spare water pump I found in the boat. That was a joy! I got a complete kit from Stay Cool Pumps, which was more complete than the kit from CD and 1/2 the cost. Someone at one point in this pumps life put the seals in backwards! That made it a fun adventure to get the inner one removed. I had to split it with a chisel then pry it out. Had it been put in correctly I could have knocked it out with a punch. Oh well a little bit if filing was needed to clean up the damage from the chisel. Next the grease pot was missing, and I discovered what was left of the grease pot stuck in the threads of the pump… ok a 1/8-27 npt tap and some patience and I now have a zerk fitting to grease the pump. The guy from Stay Cool Pumps recommended using the zerk over the grease pot.

The smiley face van has brought me a variety of Blue Sea Systems stuff to finish up the wiring. I’m still missing some of the cable, and one of the bus bars they delivered was used and broken… I got a new one on the way. So I’m going to be cutting it close for my desired trip I want to take with her, but there is still hope I will make it. This weekend I’m going to try and finish the counter tops so I can put the interior all back together.

Here are a couple pics of the muffler after I got the finish work done.

0DD14699-B674-4232-B31D-F40D6F795EA1.jpeg
C1F369B9-8229-4852-B937-DEC539C69801.jpeg
2EB30AA9-90A5-4B64-8ED4-6C194A869EB0.jpeg

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
The muffler is finished… well I need a new drain screw but that’s just a trip to the hardware store before I hit the boat next time. I also rebuilt the spare water pump I found in the boat. That was a joy! I got a complete kit from Stay Cool Pumps, which was more complete than the kit from CD and 1/2 the cost. Someone at one point in this pumps life put the seals in backwards! That made it a fun adventure to get the inner one removed. I had to split it with a chisel then pry it out. Had it been put in correctly I could have knocked it out with a punch. Oh well a little bit if filing was needed to clean up the damage from the chisel. Next the grease pot was missing, and I discovered what was left of the grease pot stuck in the threads of the pump… ok a 1/8-27 npt tap and some patience and I now have a zerk fitting to grease the pump. The guy from Stay Cool Pumps recommended using the zerk over the grease pot.

The smiley face van has brought me a variety of Blue Sea Systems stuff to finish up the wiring. I’m still missing some of the cable, and one of the bus bars they delivered was used and broken… I got a new one on the way. So I’m going to be cutting it close for my desired trip I want to take with her, but there is still hope I will make it. This weekend I’m going to try and finish the counter tops so I can put the interior all back together.

Here are a couple pics of the muffler after I got the finish work done.

View attachment 206364View attachment 206363View attachment 206362
Nice work, Mike