Wednesday is Photo Day - 2022

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Phil, just a point of interest.

I see you have dressed up your Monitor Vane. I wonder have you tested the vane with the added weight on the vane. I have read reports that say modifications to a vane can affect the sensitivity of the vane to maintain a steady course.

If you need to make any changes better to do them in port than on the open waters.

Those islands are so small when you view them from 3000nm.

Phil

Feb 11, 2017
Morris Annie Haleiwa, HI
Phil, just a point of interest.

I see you have dressed up your Monitor Vane. I wonder have you tested the vane with the added weight on the vane. I have read reports that say modifications to a vane can affect the sensitivity of the vane to maintain a steady course.

If you need to make any changes better to do them in port than on the open waters.

Those islands are so small when you view them from 3000nm.
Yeah..I played around with it earlier this week after adding a sticker to each side on one of the vanes (I have a spare light air vane) and the difference could not be noticed. The stickers are very light weight and I used a soft, flat edged squeegy tool to apply them so it follows the contours on the vane.

I got the idea from a cruising family that passed through my marina last fall. Their boat is named "Jedi", the Monitor is named "Yoda", and their dinghy is named "R2D2". They had Yoda stickers on the windvane. Talking with the dad who is also an engineering geek with some fluid dynamics experience I quickly realized that he did some extensive testing before applying the stickers. Weight makes a difference. Disrupting the air flow makes a much bigger difference. Your typical 7" x 5" bumper sticker makes no difference if it's applied correctly.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Wow. A real StarWars fan.

As soon as I get my boat put back together, I have a Monitor Windvane in the Garage to install.

I’ll be following your progress to Hawaii as you post.

Phil

Feb 11, 2017
Morris Annie Haleiwa, HI
I’ll be following your progress to Hawaii as you post.
Just ordered a Garmin InReach Mini 2 today. I will post the link to our tracker website once I have it. I was going to get a satellite phone as well, but my boss is making me bring two company provided satellite phones. I hope he's not expecting me to work :)

• Ha

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
September 15, 2020 to April 13, 2022 that's how long my boat has been on the hard. Today was splash day. The mast is still off because the riggers want the boat to relax from being on jack stands for so long. I agree because there is one locker I couldn't open while we were on the hard. 20220413_111543.jpg

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
September 15, 2020 to April 13, 2022 that's how long my boat has been on the hard. Today was splash day. The mast is still off because the riggers want the boat to relax from being on jack stands for so long. I agree because there is one locker I couldn't open while we were on the hard. View attachment 204362
Great picture of a classic design. I instantly thought of the lyric from the old song "Monster Mash".... "Igor you impetuous boy!"
:)