Wednesday is Photo Day - 2022

Phil

Feb 11, 2017
Morris Annie Haleiwa, HI
Summer Bird in FL getting upgrades. After the upper picture was taken she now has 1500w of solar added, and 900ah of lithium batteries. Now I won’t have to ask guests to conserve electricity.
If your battery bank is at 48V you are set to switch to an electric motor with that much capacity.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
My long narrow backyard is handy for this unique project that comes along every 20 years or so:
It's good to remove all the fittings and find the 61-year-old spruce spar is rot free and tight as a drum.
Sanding spar.jpeg

I've had some help in my handy daughter and trusty sidekick.

IMG_3997.jpeg

The work is mostly done. What's left is waiting for coats of varnish to dry.

That's easy.

67441898398__CF483260-DEDA-406E-A1C4-88C7D4835587.jpeg

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
It's good to remove all the fittings and find the 61-year-old spruce spar is rot free and tight as a drum.
And to think, people avoid wood on their boats because they want something that will last. You may have to do this all over again, one more time, before you pass this beauty on to the next generation. ;)

-Will

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
View attachment 205422
Tom, is that mast hollow? If so, is it coated or treated on the inside?

-Will
It is a hollow box built of 4 pieces, Will. I don't believe they did anything on the inside. Once all the fittings and rigging are removed, it's surprisingly light and easy for one person to roll over or move on the horses.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Nice image. I like the way you set the spar on foam pads not just the raw wood of a saw horse.

It is all in the details. Is that your daughter helping or are you in the middle of teaching another young sailor the value of an Alden?

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Nice image. I like the way you set the spar on foam pads not just the raw wood of a saw horse.

It is all in the details. Is that your daughter helping or are you in the middle of teaching another young sailor the value of an Alden?
That is my daughter, Jon. She is the new owner of the $1 boat and super excited to be sailing her own boat this season. She and her boyfriend are putting a lot of effort into the boat turning it into a nice pocket cruiser. Son and his boat partner have moved on to an old Pearson Vanguard they are getting ready to launch.

NAMO floating_.jpg