Wednesday is Photo Day - 2022

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
We had a boat renaming ceremony last weekend! :clap: "Summer Bird" is the literal translation of the Danish word for butterfly (sommerfugl).

Summer Bird Port Bow.jpg
I didn't do a renaming ceremony for my prior boat -- wasn't "superstitious" and it was struck by lightning within 2 weeks of being launched with a new name. Then it was struck again 11 years later. This time I covered all the bases. I hope. :what:

Last edited:

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Talks of banjos always reminds me of "Dueling Banjos" in "Deliverance".

Phil

Feb 11, 2017
Morris Annie Haleiwa, HI
The best way to get good tone out of a banjo is to toss it in a large, metal dumpster from 2 stories up :).

We spent today dialing in the Monitor Windvane. In the morning we will install the jam cleats on the tiller, tweak the steering block mounting, and head out for another session on the bay.
IMG_5041.jpeg

jssailem

Oct 22, 2014
Phil, once you get it dialed in, I want to learn your secrets.

Hopeful I'll install mine this year.

Phil

Feb 11, 2017
Morris Annie Haleiwa, HI
Phil, once you get it dialed in, I want to learn your secrets.

Hopeful I'll install mine this year.
It really is pretty easy. RTFM to start. Dial in your sail trim for ~40 deg off the wind. Dial in the windvane per the instructions. Put the windvane in control. You will quickly figure out the issues...too much slack in the control lines, bad position on the tiller for the control lines, need to tweak the windvane to wind angle slightly, need to balance the sails better..... If you have a tiller do not install the jam cleats before playing around with control line position on the tiller. That's pretty much the biggest thing for my boat. Everything else was fairly obvious after reading through the manual and watching a couple YouTube "university" videos. Sure I used a Monitor on a friend's Nor'Sea 27 years ago, but most of those brain cells have rotted since then.

jssailem

Oct 22, 2014
Looks pretty steady. A good wind helps. Looks like a very nice day.