When is it time for a new barrier coat?

Mar 15, 2020
Catalina 27 Galesville
Hello all,

We hauled our Catalina 27 for its first power wash since we bought it - giving my wife and I our first clear look at the hull of the boat. As expected, it's got some blisters (no surprise there, as it was built in 1985).

My question is this: how do you know when a boat NEEDS a new barrier coat? The sanding is just about done, which has exposed numerous blisters. Outside of the time required, the marina is recommending around $3,500 to soda blast the whole thing and apply a new barrier coat. The alternative, I assume, is to let things dry out, throw some epoxy on to cover the exposed glass, and forego a complete bottom job. It doesn't sound like there are any structural issues at this point in time. What's the down side, outside of the tedious task of carving out and filling the blisters?

For context, we're not racers or anything. We're just looking to have a good time together, be as smart as we can with money spent on repairs (maybe we shouldn't have bought a boat, ha!) and avoid putting ourselves in any danger.

Thanks!

Attachments

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Ouch!! Is the blistering and loss of barrier coating on the keel only or also on the gelcoat? If limited to the keel, then that should be a lower cost repair and I would do it. If it includes the hull I would also do entire repair. To answer your question about how do you know when a boat NEEDS a new barrier coat suggest reading the thread entitled "Do I need a Barrier Coat" and other links below.

During the survey of my 2005 Hunter 46 in December 2018 I found the keel barrier coat had totally failed due to neglect. So the boatyard sanded it completely, put 5 or 7 coats of epoxy barrier coat then put 2 coats of antifouling paint. Of course, I got a repair allowance from the seller for sanding and applying new epoxy barrier coat. The forum will offer their experience, especially those who clean boat bottoms.

Do I need a Barrier Coat: Do I need a barrier coat?
Good reason to restore the keel barrier coat in posts #11 and 13: Keel coating
Article on repairing individual blisters: Repairing Individual Gelcoat Blisters
This article explains the importance of a epoxy barrier coat: Epoxy Barrier Coats | West Marine

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Look at glass bead instead of soda. Less residue left on the hull.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
IP2000e is suggested to last 10 years. What the ultimate value of the boat is will dictate the path you take.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
IP2000e is suggested to last 10 years.
And where, pray tell, did you come up with a figure of 10 years ? Enquiring minds want to know :( . What's your source ?

Of course, you know you've turned my world upside down:

1591069802835.png

I barrier coated my 1999 hull in 2002 and there is no way I'm staying up nights and losing sleep worrying about stripping the hull and barrier coating in the foreseeable future :badbad:. NO WAY :doh: !

Feb 21, 2013
Other than my 2005 sailboat keel I have never needed to apply a new barrier coat on my boats as old as 1984.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
The docs in the IP packaging said that. Of course it could just be marketing noise

Feb 21, 2013
Another thread below might answer the OP's question of "how do you know when a boat NEEDS a new barrier coat?". Have not seen barrier coating failure as long as the bottom is maintained with a good quality antifouling paint and inspected/cleaned regularly (every 3 months in the SF Bay) with any of my 1984 - 2005 power and sailboats.

Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston
If your boat has or develops a significant amount of hull blister, time to do a barrier coat. I dont think that a barrier coat ages out.