What to do if you lose your rig.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
During my review of how I “maintain” the rig of my boat part of the focus was on how the shroud and stay clevis pins are secured. For a variety of reasons I choose to use split rings vs cotter pins or other solutions.
My question does anyone use these?

95976EF7-E84F-4C2C-ABD6-93A3FA354F0A.jpeg

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
Could have sworn I was looking at these:

BytheWay: What you show above seems you would be less apt to drop it when trying to clip it on.

Last edited:
  • Ha
Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
less apt to drop it when trying to clip it on.
That’s what appealed to me when I came upon them. Arthritic fingers Argh!
You can get them in stainless so that’s good and the locking ends would help in keeping them in place I think.
The two ends might snag things so not sure about that, I normally tape the rings to reduce the chance they would somehow get yanked out

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
That’s what appealed to me when I came upon them. Arthritic fingers Argh!
You can get them in stainless so that’s good and the locking ends would help in keeping them in place I think.
The two ends might snag things so not sure about that, I normally tape the rings to reduce the chance they would somehow get yanked out
I think they are the answer to a question nobody asked.

Rings and cotters don't just 'fall out', they break. These ones can as well.

The key is regular inspection. And anything that gives you a false sense of security can be a bad thing.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Perhaps as I’ve not seen a real one so likely not very common.

The appeal to me is the apparent ease of installation compared to a ring. As I mentioned I have arthritis in my fingers so although I don’t step/unstep frequently I find that “fiddling” with small hardware items like rings etc doesn’t help my mood :)

If I’ve exhausted my patience with getting a ring installed maybe I’m not as focused on doing that final check before I head out sailing.

If I can make the rigging process easier and more enjoyable while maintaining a level of safety why wouldn’t I look at alternatives like this?

Asking for hands on experience with the alternative here helps me form an opinion. If people have found that it’s junk or hazardous I won’t bother, if the opinions are favourable then I might give them a try.

Sep 8, 2020
Merit 22 Honker Bay

Rings and cotters don't just 'fall out', they break. These ones can as well.

The key is regular inspection. And anything that gives you a false sense of security can be a bad thing.
That's what I thought. The other day I thought I was losing my mast when the upper fiddle block on my back stay tensioner flew off.

Fortunately the other leg of my split backstay held and I was able to get the sails down before damage occurred. After I got back to my berth I found the pin and ring from the fiddle block laying on deck. The ring was not broken and I reinstalled the pin and ring.

I have no idea how that happened. But I am going to replace that ring cotter.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
That's what I thought. The other day I thought I was losing my mast when the upper fiddle block on my back stay tensioner flew off.

Fortunately the other leg of my split backstay held and I was able to get the sails down before damage occurred. After I got back to my berth I found the pin and ring from the fiddle block laying on deck. The ring was not broken and I reinstalled the pin and ring.

I have no idea how that happened. But I am going to replace that ring cotter.
Well that would certainly get your attention :)

I’m only familiar with this type of split backstay adjuster

EC0C3594-B8A6-4AB4-AC02-ECEF2C7907C0.jpeg

so I’m having trouble visualizing how your boat is rigged??

It does seem to be an odd location for something to have gotten caught in the ring and pulled it out. Was the ring deformed when you found it??

Sep 8, 2020
Merit 22 Honker Bay
Well that would certainly get your attention :)

I’m only familiar with this type of split backstay adjuster

View attachment 185870

so I’m having trouble visualizing how your boat is rigged??

It does seem to be an odd location for something to have gotten caught in the ring and pulled it out. Was the ring deformed when you found it??
Mine differs from yours in that the backstay ends in a block. A line goes from the starboard side of the transom through the block and then to tackle ( two fiddle blocks and a cam cleat) that attaches on the port side of the transom.

I couldn't see any distortion in the ring. I reused it nd it seemed normal. Now I wonder about all the other rings on my boat. And how this happened.

Sep 25, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Capri EXPO 14.2 1282 Stony Point
My first boat, Hunter 23.5 on my third sail on the Hudson. My wife was with me and we were beating home when the mast came down between us. Missed us! In a second we determined that luck was on our side. Started the iron spinnaker, pulled the sails out of the water and motored back to the marina. Docked at the first open slip and inspected the forestay. The clivis was gone. Went to the ship store finding everything for power boats but not a sail rigging piece in the store. The resident mechanic went into his tool box and found a SS clevis pin that he gave me. We put it in, raised the mast and went back to our sail. That was 15 years ago. My wife no longer sails with me, Too Boring says she. Not when the mast falls I say.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
And how this happened
That is the puzzle isn’t it? Most rings As everyone knows are hard to insert as the 360 overlays want to stay together.

I guess I can see the fibres in a rope getting caught and getting it started, or the ring being brittle and breaking off etc. but that doesn’t seem likely in your case. Hmmmm :)

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
My first boat, Hunter 23.5 on my third sail on the Hudson. My wife was with me and we were beating home when the mast came down between us. Missed us! In a second we determined that luck was on our side. Started the iron spinnaker, pulled the sails out of the water and motored back to the marina. Docked at the first open slip and inspected the forestay. The clivis was gone. Went to the ship store finding everything for power boats but not a sail rigging piece in the store. The resident mechanic went into his tool box and found a SS clevis pin that he gave me. We put it in, raised the mast and went back to our sail. That was 15 years ago. My wife no longer sails with me, Too Boring says she. Not when the mast falls I say.
Well I’m pretty sure there are other ways to up the excitement factor while sailing other than have the mast come down :)

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
That is the puzzle isn’t it? Most rings As everyone knows are hard to insert as the 360 overlays want to stay together.

I guess I can see the fibres in a rope getting caught and getting it started, or the ring being brittle and breaking off etc. but that doesn’t seem likely in your case. Hmmmm :)
OK this thread is starting to go around in circles, but I'll say it again. RINGS AND PINS DON'T JUST FALL OFF.

They break, or they are pulled off, normally by lines sliding by. Rings are much more susceptible to this, and that why I only use pins a the deck level, or where a line can pass. There is an open debate about the 15 degree opening, or the wrap. I chose to wrap (and never reuse) pins at the deck level. I know in theory this slightly work hardens the metal, but have never seen any evidence that this has cause a pin to break. In any case, inspect ever time you sail.

On a backstay, free of lines to snag it, a properly installed ring will never ever 'shake off'.

I head tons of stories like this; its a cover for a lack of inspection every time.