Wednesday is Photo Day - 2022

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Was that a case of heron surprise?

Seeing that fish in the water. Actually catching it. Then trying to figure out what to do with it.

Perhaps asking the little heron.... Hey man you got any tums or rolaids?

• Ha

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
This discussion is for the birds. If no one gets a bill for wasting site resources, something is fishy.

Jul 14, 2022
Catalina 25 Wing 5753 Portland, OR
Drift race day on the Columbia. A low wind day turned into very pleasant mellow sailing over about an hour. The start was hilarious, with most competitors mere feet apart in the 0.5-1kt wind. Nobody even bothered raising their spinnakers until ~30 minutes in, there wasn't enough wind to even half fill them. Even towards the end (below) you can see nobody really managed to achieve much separation to speak of.

driftday.jpg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I know this song lyric occurred further west from Lake Erie, but seeing that image reminds me of the lyrics…
“That good ship and crew was a bone to be chewed
When the gales of November came early.”

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Not my photo but very cool picture of the face of Lake Erie

Amazing photo - but it sure looks constructed. I was reading the article you linked and the images prior to this look real, but when you get to this one, gotta say, looks manipulated... maybe I'm just overly skeptical... Amazing photo none-the-less....

dj

Phil

Feb 11, 2017
Morris Annie Haleiwa, HI
Great shots as always Phil.
How many hours did you motor on that passage and what was your average speed?
Average boat speed was 5.44 knots. We motored only for a handful of hours to get ahead of a front the morning after we left Santa Barbara when the wind died. Other than that we only motored to get in/out of harbors at Treasure Island (SF Bay), Santa Barbara, and Haleiwa. With the exception of 1.5 days of very light to no wind we typically had good wind.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Not boating related, but interesting frost formation under forest leaves in southern CT. It's been cold here for more than a week - single digits and teens for a few days. It's a macro photo of a frost heave, and the ice "cliff" is only about 2" high, beneath forest floor leaves. Does anyone know how such a formation is created? (We had a heavy rain temps in the 40's followed by a quick drop to single digit temperatures that night, then it stayed in the low teens and twenties for a week.)
IMG_5696.JPG

Last edited: