Wednesday is Photo Day - 2022

Phil

Feb 11, 2017
Morris Annie Haleiwa, HI
Boarded by pirates! My cousins kids swam out to the boat then spent the day sailing with us so their parents could go on a date. The kids were beyond excited when I told them they could scrub the bottom of the boat. They also demanded be be called "bilge rats" or "powder monkeys".
IMG_0442.jpg

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
That would be an expensive loss. She looks like she's been sitting on that anchor for a while too or, is that a mooring painter that's covered in grass?

-Will

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
The season is winding down for visiting cruisers but just past the halfway point for local boats. I'm actually looking forward to cooler days and vacant anchorages. Sunrise in Perry Creek (Vinalhaven Island, Penobscot Bay), last weekend.
Fiery dawn Perry Creek.jpg

Phil

Feb 11, 2017
Morris Annie Haleiwa, HI
Experimentation with teak oil in the tropics - the main hatch rails are now oiled and everything else is still sporting Epiphanes Woodfinish Gloss. Using teak oil requires a lot less labor and will result in more hours sailing, mountain biking, snorkeling, etc. Hopefully it works out well.
teak_oil.jpg

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
My experience with teak oil is it looked good for 4-6 months and then required a buff and fresh oiling. Depending on the temps and weather. If left on touched it tended to darken or blacken over winter. Every spring required a cleaning to brighten the teak then oil applied.

On my present boat I have applied Total Boat Gleam 2. It was easy to apply. No sanding between coats. 3 coats in 4 hours (75 minutes between coats). Has held up nicely.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Teak Oil: What is it? | Popular Woodworking
An informative article that tells us, "teak oil" is only so named as a marketing suggestion of use. The common combination of oils and varnishes and solvents are not specific to teak, nor derived from teak. Often, they are ineffective against UV because a wipe-on/wipe-off oil doesn't normally build up enough to have a significant effect.

-Will

Phil

Feb 11, 2017
Morris Annie Haleiwa, HI
I was traveling for work on Wednesday so here's a pic from my daughter. She took this on the 2nd day of our crossing from San Francisco to Oahu shortly after we left the Treasure Island Marina. The wind direction favored going around the south side of Treasure Island so we got to pass below the Bay Bridge twice on our way out of the bay.

IMG_8611 cr.jpg